NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Does this sound like a concussion or PCS? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/233203-sound-concussion-pcs.html)

Leafsfan1987 03-01-2016 11:37 PM

Does this sound like a concussion or PCS?

So here's my story. I'll start off by saying I was diagnosed with a previous concussion in 2008 ish that was moderate.

This year on Valentine's day, I went skating for the first time since 2009 on the local pond here. This is the only time I can think of where any sort of whiplash may have occured. I cant think of any other way it could have happened besides this.I didn't fall or get hit or anything of that matter. Slipped a few times for sure but caught my balance. The next day I woke up with a moderate headache, mild pain in my back and neck, dizziness, and a feeling of perceived weakness mostly in my arms but a bit in my legs. After trying to shake it for a couple days, I went to the doctor. I explained this scenario to him completely as I am now and he is convinced this is a mild concussion even though I didn't fall or have a blow to the head. He has ordered and I have completed blood tests that I get the results from on Friday. I will say that in the two weeks or so before hand I felt like I'd pulled a muscle in my back but for the most part all pain has subsided. I'm left with feeling the following as of today. My symptoms have definitely improved a bit since the 15th of february. But here they are. All of these symptoms are hit and miss during the day on how they feel in regards to severity .

Pressure type headaches that dont really hurt
Mild dizziness
Mild weakness in arms and even more mild in legs. ( this symptom has probably improved the most)
Irritability sometimes
Some sensitivity to light.

I should also add that I have been dieting the last two months ( no more fast food, beer, pop and have just been eating cleanly)
I've lost 20ish pounds in two months but was doing some cardio and eating very well compared to how I used to eat very badly. I weighed 253 or so and I'm 233. I've been taking vitamin B 50 complex and drinking lots of water but other than that nothing much else comes to mind. I haven't found these symptoms to be debilitating, but they have definitely changed my motivation and overall wellness. I don't feel like exercising or doing much. Just want to get the days over with so I can hopefully wake up with this gone!

All help is appreciated. Thank you folks :)

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 12:16 AM

I should add that I do Feel tension in my neck and back. And have never been for a massage or chiropractor lol

Mark in Idaho 03-02-2016 01:18 AM

Leafsfan1987,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Your symptoms don't really sound like concussion symptoms. Maybe some whiplash/neck strain. It can cause the symptoms you have.

If it is a nerve oriented injury, you should consider a more complete vitamin regimen in addition to the B-50. B-12 (methylcobalamin, not cyano like in most B-50 complex.), D-3, Omega 3 fish oil (also good for inflammation common to whiplash)

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1202153)
Leafsfan1987,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Your symptoms don't really sound like concussion symptoms. Maybe some whiplash/neck strain. It can cause the symptoms you have.

If it is a nerve oriented injury, you should consider a more complete vitamin regimen in addition to the B-50. B-12 (methylcobalamin, not cyano like in most B-50 complex.), D-3, Omega 3 fish oil (also good for inflammation common to whiplash)

Hey Mark, I truly didn't think it was a concussion either. And thought it was either going to be something with my neck or possibly deficiency in some sort of vitamin. I live in Canada, are these vitamins easily obtainable at say Walmart or something of the sort without a prescription ?

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 02:05 AM

Also, do you think a chiropractor / massage would be of benefit in this case? I appreciate all feedback. Just wanna try feel normal again.

Mark in Idaho 03-02-2016 02:55 AM

If you can get B-50 Complex, you can get the others, too. Walmart, Costco.....

A chiro might help. Some are better than others. A physical therapist who knows myofacial release may also help.

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 12:59 PM

I'm just hoping everything comes back normal on Friday in my blood and urine tests. Then I can look at other options like PT and chrio etc.

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 01:04 PM

One last question Mark. If it is in fact a nerve/ muscles injury or something of that nature, is it kind of just wait around for it to heal/don't reinjure it kind of thing usually? Or is there something I should be doing/taking?

Mark in Idaho 03-02-2016 02:21 PM

That sounds good to me.

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 03:35 PM

Alright! I'm picking up those vitamins and will start them ASAP. I'll update you guys with my results on Friday and what the doc says. As well as if I feel any different on the vitamins.

Mark in Idaho 03-02-2016 03:55 PM

The vitamins take weeks of discipline to see a difference. But, they will help your nervous system endure stress in other areas.

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 06:09 PM

Yeah I will try them for a month or so and see if they do anything for me for sure. Hopefully it's just one a day lol its hard enough to remember everything else :P

Mark in Idaho 03-02-2016 09:46 PM

Many of us who have a concussion history have found value in making the regimen a lifestyle. The concussed brain is much less tolerant of stress. The regimen helps with than.

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 10:50 PM

I'll definitely take any advice I can get. I am on agreement with you that I don't think this is a concussion.

Leafsfan1987 03-03-2016 10:21 PM

After doing a bunch of research, I know I shouldn't, but does this possibly sound like MS?

Mark in Idaho 03-04-2016 12:15 AM

It sounds like you could also not be getting good sleep. or, a bunch of other things, like spine/vertebral strain. Maybe you should see a doctor. Otherwise, you will keep looking for a cause and dig yourself into a deep anxiety hole.

Be careful if you see a doctor. They often do not like patients who self-diagnose, especially from internet research. Be diplomatic with your questions.

Leafsfan1987 03-04-2016 12:21 AM

Oh yeah for sure :) I've already been to a doctor and had blood tests and urine test. I get the results tomorrow. I know this doctor personally from my line of work and definitely won't share my self diagnosis thoughts with him out of respect :P. I'm just nervous for my results tomorrow so my mind is racing.

Leafsfan1987 03-04-2016 12:00 PM

So got my blood and urine tests back today. Everything was normal. They can't test for vitamin D here in Alberta anymore. But he thinks I could be deficient. He put me on a multivitamin, vitamin D and omega 3. Hope this works.

Mark in Idaho 03-04-2016 12:53 PM

Just add the multi vitamin to the rest of the regimen. I am not surprised the blood test came back normal.

Leafsfan1987 03-04-2016 01:04 PM

You definitely helped me keep calm mark! It's just been a shock to me for all of this to happen suddenly. Just so many symptoms at once had me panicing

Leafsfan1987 03-04-2016 01:10 PM

He also said he feels like my diet change that was so suddeb could have had a big effect on me. Since ive lost lots of weight too.

Leafsfan1987 03-05-2016 03:01 PM

Just an update for people that have been feeling like my symptoms. Been getting some private message so I'll just update here.

Day 18 or so.
Today I'm feeling the following:
Lightheaded or dizzy. Hard to describe, nothing is spinning and I'm not necessarily off balance.
Fatigued not tired. Muscles seem fairly weak in arms and a bit in legs
Headaches the feel like pressure( sometimes behind eyes) but never painful really.
I've noticed a few times that it feels like my sinuses feel inflammed possibly? On each side of the top of my nose
Havent really noticed any other symptoms or changes. Did have some tingling scattered but nothing stayed or lasted and that's happened to me for as long as I can remember, very infrequently.
Mood has been kinda blah, it's bugging me feeling like this and I think is been bringing me down a bit.

These symptoms seem to get better or worse at no specific times of the day really.

Will restate that the doctor took blood and urine tests that all showed up clean and good with no concerns. No family history of nerve disorders or anything of the such.

Told me to start taking a multivitamin and Vitamin D which I'm on day 2 of. ( can take a few months to work)

Thanks everyone :) any questions feel free to keep PMing me.

Mark in Idaho 03-05-2016 03:28 PM

It sounds to me like you are spending too much effort trying to track and define your symptoms. This can make them much worse. Many of us have similar symptoms and just go on with the day. Change in symptoms is a weekly issue, not a daily issue. A less intense tracking would be a benefit.

Besides, 18 days in concussion terms is very early in the cycle.

Leafsfan1987 03-05-2016 04:16 PM

I agree for sure that 18 days isn't much for a concussion. I just havent been able to actually pinpoint anything that may have even remotely caused an actual concussion. I have had no trauma to the head in general and I have a hard time believing that starting and stopping too fast caused it when I was skating. I don't skate that fast at 230 pounds lol.

Leafsfan1987 03-05-2016 04:24 PM

But for sure if it's better for the group I will post weekly :) I have no problem with that!

Mark in Idaho 03-05-2016 11:56 PM

What I meant is to not track symptoms daily. How often you post to NT does not matter. A more general approach is better. The changes, both improvements and relapses take place over longer periods. It is a mistake to say, I was good on Monday, so-so on Tues, horrible on Wednesday and even worse if one tracks symptoms during the day. A better way is to look back after a week and consider, "Did I have any major problems this past week ?" If nothing stands out, great.

I really don't think your issues are concussion related. Have you been checked out by an ENT for ear and such issues ?

Leafsfan1987 03-06-2016 01:08 AM

Nope not yet. The doctor wants me to wait it out for a bit he thinks I'll be over whatever it is soon. I hope he's right lol

Leafsfan1987 03-06-2016 01:19 AM

He says he's not worried because my symptoms aren't severe and they haven't gotten worse only better so far.

Mark in Idaho 03-06-2016 11:17 AM

Then, you should, as I said, give it a week or two. Stop tracking symptoms and you will feel better sooner. I don't think you need our help. Posting to NT just gives you a reason to focus on your symptoms.