NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Does this sound like a concussion or PCS? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/233203-sound-concussion-pcs.html)

Leafsfan1987 03-01-2016 11:37 PM

Does this sound like a concussion or PCS?

So here's my story. I'll start off by saying I was diagnosed with a previous concussion in 2008 ish that was moderate.

This year on Valentine's day, I went skating for the first time since 2009 on the local pond here. This is the only time I can think of where any sort of whiplash may have occured. I cant think of any other way it could have happened besides this.I didn't fall or get hit or anything of that matter. Slipped a few times for sure but caught my balance. The next day I woke up with a moderate headache, mild pain in my back and neck, dizziness, and a feeling of perceived weakness mostly in my arms but a bit in my legs. After trying to shake it for a couple days, I went to the doctor. I explained this scenario to him completely as I am now and he is convinced this is a mild concussion even though I didn't fall or have a blow to the head. He has ordered and I have completed blood tests that I get the results from on Friday. I will say that in the two weeks or so before hand I felt like I'd pulled a muscle in my back but for the most part all pain has subsided. I'm left with feeling the following as of today. My symptoms have definitely improved a bit since the 15th of february. But here they are. All of these symptoms are hit and miss during the day on how they feel in regards to severity .

Pressure type headaches that dont really hurt
Mild dizziness
Mild weakness in arms and even more mild in legs. ( this symptom has probably improved the most)
Irritability sometimes
Some sensitivity to light.

I should also add that I have been dieting the last two months ( no more fast food, beer, pop and have just been eating cleanly)
I've lost 20ish pounds in two months but was doing some cardio and eating very well compared to how I used to eat very badly. I weighed 253 or so and I'm 233. I've been taking vitamin B 50 complex and drinking lots of water but other than that nothing much else comes to mind. I haven't found these symptoms to be debilitating, but they have definitely changed my motivation and overall wellness. I don't feel like exercising or doing much. Just want to get the days over with so I can hopefully wake up with this gone!

All help is appreciated. Thank you folks :)

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 12:16 AM

I should add that I do Feel tension in my neck and back. And have never been for a massage or chiropractor lol

Mark in Idaho 03-02-2016 01:18 AM

Leafsfan1987,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Your symptoms don't really sound like concussion symptoms. Maybe some whiplash/neck strain. It can cause the symptoms you have.

If it is a nerve oriented injury, you should consider a more complete vitamin regimen in addition to the B-50. B-12 (methylcobalamin, not cyano like in most B-50 complex.), D-3, Omega 3 fish oil (also good for inflammation common to whiplash)

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1202153)
Leafsfan1987,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. Your symptoms don't really sound like concussion symptoms. Maybe some whiplash/neck strain. It can cause the symptoms you have.

If it is a nerve oriented injury, you should consider a more complete vitamin regimen in addition to the B-50. B-12 (methylcobalamin, not cyano like in most B-50 complex.), D-3, Omega 3 fish oil (also good for inflammation common to whiplash)

Hey Mark, I truly didn't think it was a concussion either. And thought it was either going to be something with my neck or possibly deficiency in some sort of vitamin. I live in Canada, are these vitamins easily obtainable at say Walmart or something of the sort without a prescription ?

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 02:05 AM

Also, do you think a chiropractor / massage would be of benefit in this case? I appreciate all feedback. Just wanna try feel normal again.

Mark in Idaho 03-02-2016 02:55 AM

If you can get B-50 Complex, you can get the others, too. Walmart, Costco.....

A chiro might help. Some are better than others. A physical therapist who knows myofacial release may also help.

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 12:59 PM

I'm just hoping everything comes back normal on Friday in my blood and urine tests. Then I can look at other options like PT and chrio etc.

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 01:04 PM

One last question Mark. If it is in fact a nerve/ muscles injury or something of that nature, is it kind of just wait around for it to heal/don't reinjure it kind of thing usually? Or is there something I should be doing/taking?

Mark in Idaho 03-02-2016 02:21 PM

That sounds good to me.

Leafsfan1987 03-02-2016 03:35 PM

Alright! I'm picking up those vitamins and will start them ASAP. I'll update you guys with my results on Friday and what the doc says. As well as if I feel any different on the vitamins.