NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   thyroidectomy: could it possibly help my MG? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/233584-thyroidectomy-possibly-help-mg.html)

Stellatum 03-10-2016 09:35 PM

thyroidectomy: could it possibly help my MG?

I'm having a thyroidectomy soon because of a suspicious biopsy (the nodules are starting to cause trouble anyway).

I have had Graves (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) for 20 years, which I've treated on and off with a thyroid suppressant. I got my first MG symptoms after a Graves flare. I've had MG flares after other Graves flares. Thyroid autoimmune diseases seem to go along with MG.

I'm getting my thyroid out for reasons unrelated to the MG, but I'm wondering if there's a chance that when I no longer have a thyroid for my immune system to attack, it will calm down MG-wise, too. Wouldn't that be great?

Abby

pingpongman 03-10-2016 11:08 PM

Abby wish you the best. This is one crazy disease!!! I ended up in ER last night I couldn't hold my head up without severe pain. I had a skin cancer removed 2 days before. So I'm guessing that was the cause.
They gave me pain pills and boosted my Pred to 60 mg for 3 days. I feel better already. I remember Mom and her sister both wore neck braces because they couldn't hold their heads up.
Prayers for you
Mike

FREDH 03-13-2016 12:29 PM

ER visit

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpongman (Post 1203721)
Abby wish you the best. This is one crazy disease!!! I ended up in ER last night I couldn't hold my head up without severe pain. I had a skin cancer removed 2 days before. So I'm guessing that was the cause.
They gave me pain pills and boosted my Pred to 60 mg for 3 days. I feel better already. I remember Mom and her sister both wore neck braces because they couldn't hold their heads up.
Prayers for you
Mike

Just a question. Did you have to stay in the hospital, or did they send you on home?
Thanks
FREDH

craftyRCC 03-13-2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellatum (Post 1203708)
I'm having a thyroidectomy soon because of a suspicious biopsy (the nodules are starting to cause trouble anyway).

I have had Graves (autoimmune hyperthyroidism) for 20 years, which I've treated on and off with a thyroid suppressant. I got my first MG symptoms after a Graves flare. I've had MG flares after other Graves flares. Thyroid autoimmune diseases seem to go along with MG.

I'm getting my thyroid out for reasons unrelated to the MG, but I'm wondering if there's a chance that when I no longer have a thyroid for my immune system to attack, it will calm down MG-wise, too. Wouldn't that be great?

Abby

I had a total thyroidectomy last year because of thyroid cancer. I have not seen any changes for the good or bad in my MG...I did have a bad flare about a month after surgery, my neuro ordered extra IVIG infusions. to boost my system....but as we know with MG none of us are the same. Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery.