NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   jobs you can do without aggravating TOS (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/234057-jobs-aggravating-tos.html)

helpplease 03-22-2016 07:31 PM

jobs you can do without aggravating TOS

What are jobs that won't aggravate TOS?

My previous skills are on the computer but I find this type of work painful. I want a career that won't cause me pain. It's difficult to do repetitive tasks with my arms as well. Due to pain I have difficulty concentrating. I need a relaxing environment too because my body is stressed from the pain & trauma that caused my injuries. Also needs the opportunity to take breaks because part of managing my symptoms involves stretching and exercising.

Ideas? Please no discouraging words I know that criteria severely limits my job options but I just can't handle a job that makes the pain worse.

Jomar 03-22-2016 10:13 PM

Look for something that allows you some freedom of movement, a variety of duties, probably not much lifting or reaching depending on your case of TOS..

I don't know what kind of name to label that sort of job with ...or what is available in your area, but that is what to look for - variety of duties & movement.

Dieselgeek 03-24-2016 01:03 AM

I find if I stay active and don't over do things, I feel my best. When I sit, use the computer, drive, or do things overhead is when I have the most issues. Not sure what a good job/career would be, as I'm looking as well. Need something that has a variety of tasks, and not a great deal of time spent in a static position. If I could find a job that would allow me to lay on the floor, I'd be doing great!

ramdas 03-24-2016 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselgeek (Post 1205733)
I find if I stay active and don't over do things, I feel my best. When I sit, use the computer, drive, or do things overhead is when I have the most issues. Not sure what a good job/career would be, as I'm looking as well. Need something that has a variety of tasks, and not a great deal of time spent in a static position. If I could find a job that would allow me to lay on the floor, I'd be doing great!

Hi,
Why don't you try teaching job? It will keep you moving and standing position.

Ramdas

Jomar 03-24-2016 12:01 PM

I think a past member was a teacher or explored teaching when looking at job changes.
There is a lot of computer/paperwork as well as the movement in class.
Depends on the grade level too, seems like elementary should have less reports and long papers to read/grade vs jr high, high school or college..

ramdas 03-25-2016 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 1205775)
I think a past member was a teacher or explored teaching when looking at job changes.
There is a lot of computer/paperwork as well as the movement in class.
Depends on the grade level too, seems like elementary should have less reports and long papers to read/grade vs jr high, high school or college..

For me paperwork isn't an issues no matter how much it is.Computer usage is a problem which I will try to keep it minimum by taking help from others.
My last plan is to start an own franchise business.

Ramdas

fernie11 06-20-2016 12:09 PM

I left digital imaging computer work to become an assistant teacher. the slary is low, but it involves minimal computer work, daily variety, no lesson planning, no teaching credentials needed depending where you go, and lots of vacation days. It isn't the perfect hands-free job since you're dealing with children, but I got 6 more years of being able to work full-time after having to leave computer work. I work at an International School. if you can get into that community, it's pretty great.

sec161 07-14-2016 12:07 AM

I went back to school for my master's to become a psychotherapist. There is some paperwork, but mostly you get to sit in a comfortable chair and talk to people. Of course the education part is a huge investment, financially and time wise. But, if it something you might be interested in, it can be a good fit for TOS.