NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Prescriptions (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/23440-prescriptions.html)

SallyC 07-09-2007 03:22 PM

Prescriptions

I just called my Doc to renew my script for Prosac and asked the Nurse to ask the Doc if I could make my appointment in one of the cooler months instead of August, when I am due.

She just called me back and said that he would only renew it for one month only, because he wants to see me in August.:mad: :mad: :mad: ....I cried real tears and asked the nurse to have him call me, as I felt this was unfair and I wanted to ask him why!!!!

I just saw the little fart 4 months ago and he wrote the original script for 6 months. He increased my dose which made me have to double up on the original script, so now I'm out in less than 4 mos, instead of six.:eek:

She said she would talk to him and explain and have him call me if he needs to.

Is there any way I can get the stupid meds I need without a stupid money hungry Doc taking me to the cleaners, just to get them? I'm pretty healthy except for the MS, so once a year to the Docs is enough for me unless I become ill.

This must be my day to whine and B****, so just ignore me, if you want..:D

:grouphug:

AfterMyNap 07-09-2007 04:07 PM

Well, Sal, with all the malpractice junk and the pressure from insurers, a lot of docs are being heavily scruitinized about prescription ADs. My own neuro told me that she got a lot of heat a year or so ago and asked me to get them from my pcp. I don't know why he has more authority than a neuro treating me for a chronic illness that is widely known for symptomatic depression.

I reckon it's just one more way for big brother to get involved. It is frustrating, and short of hitting the streets, I don't know that there is a trick.

Be assured, I do understand and I'm not making light here.

doydie 07-09-2007 10:08 PM

I had one prescription left for my Ritalin. My neuro gives me three one month scripts. My DH was needing some paper to write a phone number on this morning and tore off half an envelope. This afternoon I was looking for the script to take to Sams. There was half of it in the torn envelope. Sure enough, I looked in my purse and got the piece of paper with the phone number on it and there was this little piece of my script. So now I have to take this torn script to her office to get a replacement. :eek:

lady_express_44 07-09-2007 11:11 PM

That does seem odd, but perhaps things are different in the US.

In the past, Ive gotten almost all my prescriptions for a year (after the first 3 months), and then I only have to renew when I get my annual physical.

Drugs like Naproxen are just rx'd at 100 pills, for however long they last (usage and shelf life). Even A/D's, I had responsibility for deciding to take anywhere from 0 - 20 mg, as required. (I don't take them any more though...)

Is this a law, or just your doctor's policy, Sally? I wonder if it has anything to do with people abusing drugs, i.e. that they think people might sell them or whatever. I'm not sure what having an appointment is going to prove though. :cool:

Cherie

SallyC 07-10-2007 09:16 PM

Oh goody...Doc called today and will give me my scrips till November. I made an appointment for October 17th. It should be cooler by then, I hope.

know, I know Cindy. It was just another thing that ticked me off, yesterday.

Cheryl (LE) As Cindy said, they are a little **** retentive when it comes to drugs here. They think we are all a bunch of addicts, I guess.:rolleyes:

Anyway, it all workede out for the better..woo hoo.:D