NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Anyone know about this U-Step II walker? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/234949-step-ii-walker.html)

agate 04-18-2016 03:30 PM

Anyone know about this U-Step II walker?

I have a walker with front wheels but saw an ad for another walker that supposedly helps to stabilize walking, the U-StepII Walking Stabilizer. The ad was in Neurology Now but for a look at what this device is:

http://www.ustep.com/walker.htm

I have a question. This walker seems to have 7 wheels on it. The bottom part of it looks like quite a bit of hardware. I'd be concerned about tripping on some of it.

Does anyone have experience with this walker?

doydie 04-19-2016 12:14 AM

I don't have an answer but it looks cool. My husband has Parkinson's and I like the extra things for his safety. For some the 20 pounds might be a bit to heavy to break down to put in car. But if they are that weak, they may not be driving.

agate 04-19-2016 12:38 AM

Its weight is a concern for me too. If you looked at the video, it shows that it folds up, and supposedly you can tilt it into the back seat of a car.

Kitty 04-19-2016 04:21 AM

I want one!!! I watched the video and it looks great.

The lady that put it into the back seat of the car was pretty small. She didn't look especially strong and she seemed to handle it well. I'm not the one who puts my walker into the car or trunk, though.

I wonder if insurance would help with the cost? I'll have to check that out because I truly believe this would help my balance.....or lack thereof.

Thanks Agate for sharing this. :hug:

agate 04-19-2016 10:33 AM

I called the number on their site to find out more about Medicare coverage. There are some requirements: you have to have a neurological diagnosis, you shouldn't have had any assistive mobility device covered by Medicare in the last 5 years, and I believe there were a couple of other requirements.

Medicare coverage seems to vary by state, and it sounded fairly involved, at least for my state. I decided to call another time when I felt up to dealing with that much information. But apparently there is Medicare coverage.

NurseNancy 04-21-2016 04:19 PM

i wonder if you call the company if there's a way for you to try it out first?
depends on where they're located. it gives a width. you could try taping out the width of their walker on your own and see what happens.

please let us know. how much?

agate 04-21-2016 05:05 PM

According to their Website you can try one out by going to a store that carries this item--but only on the store premises.

The price listed is $578 for the walker, seat, and basket, and the optional laser cueing module (light and audio) would be an additional $249. I wouldn't want the cueing module, and Medicare/Medicaid would cover some of the $578, or at least that's what they told me when I called.

Erin524 04-21-2016 11:46 PM

I think I want one of these...except that I technically use two walkers. I live in my parent's basement. And it's a pain in the backside to have to carry a folded up walker up and down the stair lift on the stairs. My dad bought me two walkers when I started having to use one. Wish I had the money to buy two this one. One for when I'm downstairs, and in the backyard, and one for upstairs and out in the real world.

I usually pay out of pocket for walkers (or my dad helps me). Maybe I can get one now, and then get another one later on. I'm sure if I got one, my parents would hijack it. So, they'd have to get their own. (they both have medicare, and tri-care insurance. They could probably get medicare to pay for at least one for themselves)

I'm going to have to show this website to my dad.

agate 04-22-2016 12:43 AM

I believe it weighs about 22 lbs., and that would be pretty heavy. I find that I have to lift my two-wheeled basic walker now and then but it's much lighter.

SallyC 04-25-2016 07:19 AM

Yes, 22 lb is way to heavy to hoss around.:eek: