NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Diarrhea continues 2 months after stopping opioids! (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/235151-diarrhea-continues-2-months-stopping-opioids.html)

Brachial6 04-24-2016 03:37 PM

Diarrhea continues 2 months after stopping opioids!

I stopped taking opioids after 16 years due to the bad side effects after being on them for 16 years. It has been about 2 months now and I continue to have diarrhea and continue on the generic Lomotil to control this problem that never wants to go away. My primary physician told me not to even drink decaf in the morning and to stay away from all caffeine! I can live with decaf but I'm sick of having this diarrhea problem! Any helpful tips will be appreciated by anyone who has chose to get off opioids like me! Thanks so much!

Jomar 04-24-2016 06:45 PM

Were you constipated when on the meds?
Did it change right away after you stopped those meds?
Have you tried changing your diet also along with the Lomotil?

Maybe the BRAT diet? Bananas, Rice, Apple/sauce and Toast.
Maybe some probiotics to get internal system back on track?

Brachial6 04-25-2016 01:55 PM

my reply

[QUOTE=Jo*mar;1209133]Were you constipated when on the meds? yes 16 years
Did it change right away after you stopped those meds? yes
Have you tried changing your diet also along with the Lomotil?

Maybe the BRAT diet? Bananas, Rice, Apple/sauce and Toast. My family physician says it doesn't matter what I eat & I still have the problem he said no caffeine not even decaf!
Maybe some probiotics to get internal system back on track?tried them too!
I do have a call into my pain doc at this moment! Thanks again!

ElizaJane23 05-10-2016 03:20 PM

Try bone broth

Try bone broth - I've been working my way off opiates after being on them for 19 years (I'm OFF 90 mgs of Methadone!). Your gut is severely compromised on them, and needs rebuilding. You can BONE broth (not chicken stock) online
(Swanson) or at Whole Foods, or make your own. Get chicken backs and necks from healthy chickens (I buy Amish) roast them in oven, put in crock pot, cover with water, put in 2 TBsp organic Apple Cider Vinegar. First couple hours remove scum that floats to surface. Cook 48 hours on low. Then drain the water (broth) and put in glass jars in fridge. My crock pot makes enough for a week. Drink 1 cup twice a day, skimming fat off top before heating. Helps SO much! I've been drinking it for several months - full of minerals and healthy fats. Drink in health!

razzle51 08-28-2016 11:50 AM

I think you got other things going on . I dont think the meds would cause that for that long

Brachial6 08-28-2016 11:34 PM

All I needed was more fiber! What an easy fix!

My problem was solved with Metamucil! Per my physician, I needed more fiber! :)