NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   5 years post discectomy/lateral decompression (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/235485-5-post-discectomy-lateral-decompression.html)

scottishandy 05-03-2016 11:38 AM

5 years post discectomy/lateral decompression

Hi

5 years post discectomy/lateral decompression L4L5.

I have deteriorated in the last 6 months, to the point where standing doing the dishes is enough to make symptoms worse, I'm not walking as well or as far.

Had an MRI last month, have been asked to go back and see the orthopaedics this time rather than a neurosurgeon.

I'm not in the scream out loud pain I was in last time, thankfully. I am also taking pregabalin again.

Any insights into what my options might be? Don't really want more surgery, however also don't won't to leave it till I could do some serious damage.

Options, leave alone, revision surgery, ?

caroline2 05-03-2016 04:47 PM

I have never had back surgery but do live with a nasty degenerative 77 yr old back. I'm headed today for my first Osteopathic session. My daughter had her 5th session today and she can't say enough about the work the D.O. is helping her with. I would think there are osteopathic MD's where you are. I know of enough who had had the fusion back surgery and go back for more surgery. At least you did get 5 yrs if that's a consolation.

If you can leave it alone, I would. I have left this nasty back alone now over 60 yrs.

Maybe get an opinion on this from other than a surgeon, if that's possible. Surgeons do surgery.

scottishandy 06-12-2016 12:35 PM

MRI results

Hi

Well saw the orthopaedic surgeon about my MRI results. Have disc bulge again, with arthritis and scar tissue. :Sigh:

Have been referred to the neurosurgeon again.

:Bang-Head:

scottishandy 10-23-2016 03:36 AM

Saw the Neurosurgeon last week. My lumbar disc that prolapsed he hopes the vertebrae either side will fuse by themselves, as disc is now desiccated. However, I need surgery to clear/enlarge spinal canal at the same level Lumbar 4/5.

PamelaJune 10-23-2016 07:37 AM

Gosh that sounds scary. An enlarging of the spinal canal I mean? I've got a Nevro SCS implant its halved my pain on some days and I've cut my medication significantly. I've had 4 fusions, the last a double L4/5/S1 L2/3 need doing but it's too much so I opted for the SCS unit. Very glad I did, don't want anymore spinal surgery if I can avoid it. Hugs and thoughts to you for the next round of surgery :hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottishandy (Post 1227067)
Saw the Neurosurgeon last week. My lumbar disc that prolapsed he hopes the vertebrae either side will fuse by themselves, as disc is now desiccated. However, I need surgery to clear/enlarge spinal canal at the same level Lumbar 4/5.