NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   GDNF therapy looks promising (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/235902-gdnf-therapy-looks-promising.html)

Bogusia 05-15-2016 02:48 PM

GDNF therapy looks promising

Parkinson's 'cure' gave me back my life | Daily Mail Online

soccertese 05-15-2016 06:39 PM

me thinks this was a 2002 article

BBC News | SCI/TECH | Parkinson's brain renewal advance

jeffreyn 05-15-2016 07:12 PM

Podcast on growth factors

I think you're right soccertese.

BTW, there was a good update (IMHO) on growth factors about 6 months ago. It's in the form of a podcast (approx. 28 minutes) by the World Parkinson Coalition, on SoundCloud. Here's the link:

6 Stopping Disease Progression: Growth factors by World Parkinson Coalition | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Bogusia 05-16-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soccertese (Post 1211326)

Yes Soccertese, you are right. Sorry about this. I wish it was 2002 when I didn't know much about PD.

cbrf1wr 05-17-2016 06:07 PM

That Story was dated 14 years ago. 2002 there were a lot of new treatments etc in trials. Sadly GDNF went the way of pretty much 100% of them (NOWHERE). Still got my fingers crossed, but looks like the predetermined treatment path is the same today as it was in the early 90's. Carb/Lev till it quits working then hope you qualify for DBS.

At least they have DBS pretty much a routine Operation these days and the Stimulators are advanced far beyond what they were in the early days. This disease killed my dad and two Uncles, and now it has it's sights set on me. Hopefully I'm the one to beat it. So come on Scientists Doc's and researchers get your *** in gear.

cbrf1wr 05-17-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyn (Post 1211329)
I think you're right soccertese.

BTW, there was a good update (IMHO) on growth factors about 6 months ago. It's in the form of a podcast (approx. 28 minutes) by the World Parkinson Coalition, on SoundCloud. Here's the link:

6 Stopping Disease Progression: Growth factors by World Parkinson Coalition | Free Listening on SoundCloud

That was a scary podcast. "After 5 years with the disease we don't think there is enough dopamine generating tissue left in the brain to be recovered by this process."

It was clear they are done with GDNF theories. Moving on to Alphasynuclean theories now.

jeffreyn 05-18-2016 05:37 AM

Good Summary

cbrf1wr said: "It was clear they are done with GDNF theories. Moving on to Alphasynuclean theories now."

A pretty good summary (IMHO).

rainbow676 05-19-2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyn (Post 1211579)
cbrf1wr said: "It was clear they are done with GDNF theories. Moving on to Alphasynuclean theories now."

A pretty good summary (IMHO).

Is NTCELL, the New Zealand pig cell therapy, in the GNDF camp or the alpha synuclein camp? I'm having a hard time understanding the mechanisms behind NTCELL.

Thanks for the interesting conversation.

soccertese 05-19-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbow676 (Post 1211704)
Is NTCELL, the New Zealand pig cell therapy, in the GNDF camp or the alpha synuclein camp? I'm having a hard time understanding the mechanisms behind NTCELL.

Thanks for the interesting conversation.

it's more in the gdnf/bdnf mode of action, rescues damaged neurons. pig cells secrete growth factors so they are not selecting most advanced patients for the LCT phase2b trial.

don't discount fetal neuron implants, they successfully reversed advanced pd and the benefit lasted years. recent autopsies of patients receiving these implants in 1990's, early 2000's, show implanted neurons survived.

canadians and europeans working on improved implant techniques.

as far as LCT, you'd have to go to NZ for the implants if their procedure gets approved.y phase1 pd trials involving drilling a hole in your head has been successful and then most had a failed phase 2 when blinding/placebo added. keep your fingers crossed.

dilmar 05-25-2016 02:22 PM

The way we do it in NZ

Not scientific stuff just for fun a bit of background to the pig story

Mayor's pigs help people with Parkinson's Disease | Stuff.co.nz

Re the current GDNF trials underway at Bristol UK, I have heard some results should be out about September this year.
Cure Parkinson's Trust | Regenerative trials - GDNF