NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   PCP Dr. Visit and new meds for migraine mania attacks (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/23594-pcp-dr-visit-meds-migraine-mania-attacks.html)

Nikko 07-11-2007 09:43 PM

PCP Dr. Visit and new meds for migraine mania attacks

Okay, saw my PCP today - she started me on METHYLPREDNISOLONE (steriods) TABLETS 4MG, FOR 6 days, a total of 21 tablets, you take so many each day until the last day you take just one.

Came home started my dosage, still had a few attacks of migraines, so I suppose it will take a few days.:(

Then I start Topamax at a low dose and go up to 50 mg.

This has to work or I am going to go crazy and scream and everyone will hear me.:confused: I guess if this doesn't work the next step will be an MRI, since the cat scan of the sinuses were fine, maybe a MRI of a deeper area will be needed. I sure hope not.:eek:

When I first moved here, I had terrible headaches/migraines and they thought I had menigitis, had 2 spinal taps and all, ended up with taking 5 steriods and it broke the cycle of the headaches, it wasn't what they thought at first, that was all done at a ER.

So, here's hoping the days to come subside the migraines, gosh they have to, my body is just down and out with this pain and can't really handle it much more, I'm not kidding in any way, shape or form.

Hugs and Thanks for all your info and support.:)

Nikko........................:grouphug:

bizi 07-11-2007 09:53 PM

Is today the highest dose?
You should be feeling better very soon...if not I would call the doctor back.
I had meningitis many years ago...while I was in the military training school.
It was horrible...started off being a sinus infection and ended up full blown spinal menigititis...oh and I was full blown manic at the time as well.
Horrible experience.
My mother came and helped me back to health.
Did they do a spical tap for you in the er?
I am sorry that you are not some better today...hope you are some better tomorrow...if not please call back.
I hope you can sleep tonight.
((((HUGS))))
bizi

Nikko 07-11-2007 11:16 PM

No, the spinal tap ordeal was 3 yrs ago when I first moved here and they couldn't figure out why I was having these awful headaches and crying and all.

Today was sort of a repeat only as to starting the steriods as they did 3 yrs ago.

So, we will see, I am not sick, so I don't have any symptoms of menigitis, can't remember if I did back 3 yrs ago or not.

It hasn't been brought up this time.

Nikko

DiMarie 07-11-2007 11:24 PM

Oh Nikko I hope they can reslove this soon. It has to horrible to have this much pain, so long and no answers.
I will say a prayer the meds help soon and all is better as fast as fast can be.
di

fiberowendy2000 07-12-2007 06:02 AM

Icky migraines. They are an animal all their own aren't they?
Steriods huh? I can't take them orally they make me jumpy and I can't sleep. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you. I hope they make you feel better soon.

Nikko 07-12-2007 09:05 AM

Had a pretty good night, just woke up several times, I guess it was the steriods, only had one migraine attack during the night.

Yesterday afternoon had at least 3.

I'm tired today, but I don't care, it's from waking up, but at least I don't have a migraine, nor did I suffer all night from them.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Hugs, Nikko:grouphug:

Dmom3005 07-12-2007 10:39 AM

Nikko

There is a post in post concussion syndrome that was also in headache.
That might be of interest to you. Its about a ladies husband that they
thought was having migraines, turns out from what I got of it. That it
was or is something else, and that there is a treatment.

I don't exactly understand it, but thought I would bring it to your attention,
because of all the things you have been trying and none working to a complete degree.

Donna

Nikko 07-12-2007 10:50 AM

I did have Post Concussion Syndrome after being assaulted by my ex husband last July.

I also have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from it. Where did you read about it? I would like to look into it.

Do you mean one of these?

Nikko:confused:

Dmom3005 07-12-2007 01:32 PM

Its in the forum for post concussion syndrome and traumatic brain injury.

Ill go mark it so you will know.
Donna