NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Biopsy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/236128-biopsy.html)

Becca71 05-21-2016 09:08 PM

Biopsy?

Has anyone here had a biopsy after having their CRPS? My GYN needs to do a uterine biopsy on me and I'm nervous. Because of course I've read that anything we do can cause a flare up or spread of the CRPS which is the last thing I want or need.
I know a biopsy is minimally invasive, so I'm hoping its low risk for causing problems?

catra121 05-23-2016 06:02 AM

The less invasive the procedure, the lower the risk of spread generally speaking. There is always a chance...I've had spread from someone bumping me too hard and from a lumbar sympathetic block meant to treat the RSD. Even a blood draw CAN cause spread...but all of those things are NOT the "norm" as far as spread. Most people never have any kind of spread. A flare up is another story. If it's not in your RSD area then you can still have a flare up for many reasons...number one just being the stress of the situation. If you need to have the biopsy done then I think you should do it but have your dr partner with you pain management doctor on how to reduce any discomfort and increased pain and minimize any risks of spread. You can't NOT live your life out of fear that things could get worse...just take the appropriate steps to minimize those risks.

BioBased 05-23-2016 07:25 AM

Becca,

No biopsies, but in the past year I have had cortisone shots, innumerable blood draws, an endoscopy, a colonoscopy, a brain angiogram and brain aneurysm surgery with no spread. I understand your fear, because I have been there, done that, with every procedure. It is best if you move forward in the way Catra advises, then let go and let God.

RSD ME 05-23-2016 07:35 AM

i have had my rsd spread but not always because of biopsies and surgeries. rsd can spread sometimes for no reason at all. what i do if i need a biopsy or surgery is make sure my pm dr and surgeon consult with each other in order to manage the pain afterwards and try to prevent spread from happening if possible by doing the least invasive treatment available. and what i do is try to get as much rest before and after the procedure to help minimize the pain. i am not a dr but if i am told that i need a biopsy then i get a second opinion, weigh the pros and cons with my drs and then make the best informed decision possible. rsd spread is scary but i agree with Catra that you cannot live your life in fear of spread. just take the best steps possible to lower your risk of spread and then like Biobased said "Let Go and Let God". i hope all goes well and you feel better soon. sending soft hugs your way.:hug:

St George 2013 05-25-2016 12:36 PM

Hey Becca :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becca71 (Post 1211957)
Has anyone here had a biopsy after having their CRPS? My GYN needs to do a uterine biopsy on me and I'm nervous. Because of course I've read that anything we do can cause a flare up or spread of the CRPS which is the last thing I want or need.
I know a biopsy is minimally invasive, so I'm hoping its low risk for causing problems?

If you are comfortable with your GYN I would go with the biopsy. Not sure what your symptoms are and I don't have RSD but I do know how very important a uterine biopsy is to rule out a number of problems.

Keep us posted.

Debi from Georgia

Becca71 06-13-2016 09:35 PM

Well my pain doc says to just make sure my ob/gyn uses extra of whatever numbing agent she is using. So I hope that all will go well, but its still over a week away.

catra121 06-13-2016 09:43 PM

I will keep you in my thoughts...hopefully all will go well. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

DejaVu 06-13-2016 11:18 PM

Hi Becca!

Hi Becca,

Very important question. :)

I understand your concern.
I do not know the answer to your question.
It seems your pain doctor and friends here gave reasonable advice.

You will see I have a recent thread which mentions a CRPS flare after biopsies.
I just want to be sure we all understand these were skin punch biopsies done on my foot and leg, which is where my CRPS is -- on both feet/ankles.

I tend to think, sometimes, we must weigh the potential costs/benefits and move forward, thinking positive and in our minds, picturing a very positive outcome.

I am guessing here, yet I think your GYN wants to do a biopsy to make sure you are okay? It's an important procedure, which could be life-saving for many people.

I wish you the best. :hug:

Love All Around,
:grouphug:
DejaVu

Becca71 06-14-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1214088)
Hi Becca,

Very important question. :)

I understand your concern.
I do not know the answer to your question.
It seems your pain doctor and friends here gave reasonable advice.

You will see I have a recent thread which mentions a CRPS flare after biopsies.
I just want to be sure we all understand these were skin punch biopsies done on my foot and leg, which is where my CRPS is -- on both feet/ankles.

I tend to think, sometimes, we must weigh the potential costs/benefits and move forward, thinking positive and in our minds, picturing a very positive outcome.

I am guessing here, yet I think your GYN wants to do a biopsy to make sure you are okay? It's an important procedure, which could be life-saving for many people.

I wish you the best. :hug:

Love All Around,
DejaVu

I agree with my Doc that the biopsy is needed based on my symptoms. She needs to rule things out, so that she can then manage those issues in the best way possible. If I can get through this with no CRPS issues I will be so happy! If it does cause a flare, well, I'll manage that. I just really am scared of spread. I know it isn't common, but after my sympathetic nerve block wore off I had symptoms farther up my leg than before ... so yea. Plus, who the heck wants CRPS in the UTERUS???? I mean hell no!

DejaVu 06-14-2016 03:34 PM

((((( Becca )))))

So understandable! :hug:
I wish there were more clear answers.

I am guessing many women with CRPS have uterine biopsies. I wonder if any have written about any CRPS spread due to uterine biopsies?

I am hoping for the best possible outcome for you as well. :hug:

Love All Around,