NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Heart Rate (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/236239-heart-rate.html)

Mother of Dragons 05-25-2016 09:42 AM

Heart Rate

So for the past few days my resting heart rate has been around 90 BPM and everytime I try to go for a short walk it shoots up right away to like 120 BPM, which is way over my target HR (anything over 100 causes a tension headache).

Also, simple things like gardening or cleaning my house make me really tired and cause my heart rate to shoot up. I have not had this problem in the 11 months since my accident so I'm not sure why it is happening now. The only meds I'm on are Pennsaid- a topical anti-inflammatory cream for my neck.

I have also just started to try and get back into exercising since my setback in March, so I am very out of shape, but trying to get back in shape, even the smallest amount of exercise, is shooting my HR up. Not sure what to do, any suggestions?

Also, I've been very anxious lately but I don't know if this is causing the HR problems or a result of them. Also, maybe allergies causing this?

jennrod12 05-30-2016 04:19 PM

Just my opinion, but if you still have constant dizziness, I don't think you're ready to go back to exercising. If you do exercise, start very lightly (is the advice my PT gave me).

I noticed that walking would shoot my HR up, so I started checking my fitbit while I walked. If it shot up, I stopped and waited for it to come down, then I continued on. It usually didn't shoot up again on the same walk. I still can't walk very far - only about 1/4 mile.

The only exercise I'm able to do right now is to gently ride a stationary bike in my family room (I have been an avid cyclist for many years, so I am used to the pedaling motion and the bike is optimized to fit me well). Everything else is too hard for my brain to handle all the balance, etc., required.

I am only one month into this, but I thought it should have been a mild concussion with a quick recovery because I didn't lose consciousness or forget anything. :(

Jenn

russiarulez 06-02-2016 09:10 PM

I've had a similar issue the first year of PCS, my heart rate would be around 100 even if I was laying down, sure made it hard to fall asleep. I think it continued for about a month and slowly resolved.

During that time I bought a HR monitor and walked with it. I started with very short walks around the block and very slowly tried to increase the distance/intensity.

I still experience some weird heart issues like palpitations, unstable HR, or HR going up when doing the same thing that didn't cause it to go up like that before. I think very gradual aerobic exercises helped me.