NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   on SSDI about to retire what happens? (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/236271-ssdi-retire-happens.html)

JoyinCt 05-26-2016 03:39 AM

on SSDI about to retire what happens?

Hi,

I'll be turning 66 soon. I've talked to 2 social security agents each giving me different information. The disability benefits will be ending says one and I'll only have benefits from my ex-husband's social security. The other one says that the SSDI would be ended but it will be turned over to retirement benefits giving me the exact same amount as I was getting from Disability plus I would still get half of ex-husband's benefits.

Which one is correct? Does anyone know what happens?

Thanks JoyinCT :confused:

LIT LOVE 05-26-2016 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyinCt (Post 1212386)
Hi,

I'll be turning 66 soon. I've talked to 2 social security agents each giving me different information. The disability benefits will be ending says one and I'll only have benefits from my ex-husband's social security. The other one says that the SSDI would be ended but it will be turned over to retirement benefits giving me the exact same amount as I was getting from Disability plus I would still get half of ex-husband's benefits.

There is a formula they run and you might receive a slight increase, but your benefits will not decrease. If half of your husband's benefits is more, then you can collect on his instead, but you can't receive both. If he passes before you, then at that point you can receive his whole benefit if it is more than yours.

davOD 05-26-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyinCt (Post 1212386)
Hi,

I watch a workmans comp. board very close.....I have been told and read many times that your SSDI turns into normal SS at the appropriate age...What ever that amount is, you will continue to receive....
The money comes out a different fund for them....( some may remember the games that were being played with last year with the SSDI fund)

JoyinCt 05-26-2016 02:00 PM

SSDI into SS

Thanks for your replies, it certainly makes me feel better knowing I'll have both sources of income especially with the prices we have today!

:)

LIT LOVE 06-13-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyinCt (Post 1212426)
Thanks for your replies, it certainly makes me feel better knowing I'll have both sources of income especially with the prices we have today!

:)

Do you mean both SSDI and SS retirement? You can't receive both unfortunately.