NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Eric Clapton has peripheral neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/236830-eric-clapton-peripheral-neuropathy.html)

echoes long ago 06-12-2016 10:49 AM

Eric Clapton has peripheral neuropathy

Eric Clapton's Health

Eric Clapton, who played guitar in rock music groups, the Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominos, and is considered to have been one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time, has revealed publicly, that he has peripheral neuropathy and that it is very difficult for him to play the guitar now.

Cliffman 06-13-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1213932)
Eric Clapton's Health

Eric Clapton, who played guitar in rock music groups, the Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominos, and is considered to have been one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time, has revealed publicly, that he has peripheral neuropathy and that it is very difficult for him to play the guitar now.

That's sad to hear, I wonder if his is considered idiopathic.

We really need a well-known celebrity to step forward to increase public awareness of PN.

Thanks for sharing,

Cliffman

glenntaj 06-13-2016 07:42 AM

From the linked article--

--it sounds as if Clapton has neuropathy/radiculopathy from lumbosacral spinal problems.

That is technically peripheral neuropathy--though more properly labelled radiculopathy, damage to the nerve roots--but I do wish there was more detail there about its progression, what testing he's had, etc. (The article doesn't mention if he has problems with his arms or hands.)

The distinction is important--neuropathy from lumbosacral problems is quite common and well known, especially as people age; sciatica and a host of other neurologic lower body problems result, and, importantly, are often treatable and can be reduced or even eliminated, through therapy or sometimes surgery. The types of neuropathy we tend to talk about here, though, whose etiology is more systemic (e.g., diabetes, autoimmune, toxic, etc.) is not as well known or publicized, and more difficult to treat.

Still, I'd love if Eric would raise his voice for all sufferers.

echoes long ago 06-13-2016 09:31 AM

i thought it may well be more systemic than that article alluded to because he says that he is finding it difficult to play the guitar, which of course would indicate hand involvement at the least, perhaps arms also.

mrsD 06-13-2016 09:46 AM

I do think his music ability could be affected by his medications.

We really don't know, if he chooses to not help the general public by sharing and caring about neuropathy.

MikeK 06-13-2016 12:48 PM

interesting read here:

Eric Clapton reveals nerve damage that makes playing guitar ‘hard work’ - The Washington Post

"One of the possible causes of peripheral neuropathy is alcoholism, according to the Mayo Clinc, and Clapton is a recovering heroin addict — which likely also bars him from being prescribed many effective pain killers — and alcoholic"

Like all us us who suffer from this I hope he finds some relief

Patrick Winter 06-14-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffman (Post 1214000)
That's sad to hear, I wonder if his is considered idiopathic.

We really need a well-known celebrity to step forward to increase public awareness of PN.

Thanks for sharing,

Cliffman

I think it is hard to call it "idiopathic" when Clapton was a long time drug and alcohol abuser. He even admitted it as a probable cause.

Healthgirl 06-14-2016 08:55 AM

My fingers not letting me play guitar was one of my first noticeable symptoms. They just wouldn't go where they were supposed to on the strings. Its was very confusing. I am still upset about it. I really want to play it. I think I could deal better with this at 71 than my age though. Still sorry for him though.

DejaVu 06-14-2016 04:31 PM

(((( Eric Clapton ))))

I have had to give up playing the guitar for the most part. Just too difficult.

I, too, am sorry Eric Clapton is experiencing neuropathy. :(

Sure would be great if he feels so inclined to represent the ppl living with neuropathies.

Love All Around,
:grouphug: