NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   2017 COLA - Slight increase possibiliby (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/237199-2017-cola-slight-increase-possibiliby.html)

Mz Migraine 06-22-2016 03:16 PM

2017 COLA - Slight increase possibiliby

Trustees: Tiny rise in Social Security benefits next year

Jun 22, 3:47 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Millions of Social Security beneficiaries would get a tiny increase in monthly payments next year — less than $2.50, about enough to buy a gallon of gas.

Meanwhile, Medicare is expected to go bankrupt sooner than expected — 12 years from now. And some beneficiaries could face higher monthly premiums next year. :mad:

FULL ARTICLE LINK

SIDEBAR: Well, it's better than nothing!!! :p

:hug:

Shellback 10-12-2016 11:50 AM

We are getting a whopping 0.02% increase! :(

Kitty 10-12-2016 12:03 PM

Well, I've got some financial planning to do now!! :p

Mz Migraine 10-18-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 1226235)
Well, I've got some financial planning to do now!! :p

http://oi59.tinypic.com/vd1ml0.jpg

echoes long ago 10-18-2016 05:28 PM

don't spend it all in one place

Kitty 10-18-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1226676)
don't spend it all in one place

I honestly don't think there's anywhere with anything that inexpensive!! :D

Shellback 10-21-2016 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 1226680)
I honestly don't think there's anywhere with anything that inexpensive!! :D

If we all pooled our increases we might just be able to afford a large cheese pizza! :p

razzle51 12-06-2016 08:48 AM

where do you look to see if you are getting a raise

Mz Migraine 12-07-2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razzle51 (Post 1230446)
where do you look to see if you are getting a raise

Everyone on SS, SSI, SSDI gets a COLA increase starting Jan 2017.

echoes long ago 12-08-2016 11:51 AM

i got my statement today. the miniscule raise we are getting is entirely used to pay a medicare increase. i am not getting a cent more than last year. yet another year with no raise.

davOD 12-09-2016 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1230648)
i got my statement today. the miniscule raise we are getting is entirely used to pay a medicare increase. i am not getting a cent more than last year. yet another year with no raise.

I feel your pain.....but in the political situation we have been in for decades and the public convinced that SS is an entitlement.....If anything I see it will stay the same or start to get lowered......

Why or how in the world people think you living high on the hog getting SS is beyond my grasp!

echoes long ago 12-09-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1230715)
I feel your pain.....but in the political situation we have been in for decades and the public convinced that SS is an entitlement.....If anything I see it will stay the same or start to get lowered......

Why or how in the world people think you living high on the hog getting SS is beyond my grasp!

if you look at polls people dont feel that it is an entitlement, but something that is paid for and owed on that basis. they also do not favor lowering it or cutting it or privatizing it by a wide margin. Calling it an entitlement is a right wing tactic to eventually privatize it so that their donors make lots of money off of it.

davOD 12-10-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1230731)
if you look at polls people dont feel that it is an entitlement, but something that is paid for and owed on that basis. they also do not favor lowering it or cutting it or privatizing it by a wide margin. Calling it an entitlement is a right wing tactic to eventually privatize it so that their donors make lots of money off of it.

Not in disagreement.....They have tried once to privatizing it....I will assume they will again.....And some word smith will come up with a great name for Vouchering our Medicare!....I see to many people not thinking for there selfs, and believing what they hear and see......By then its to late, when the wake up.

We are in strange times.

davOD 12-10-2016 02:25 PM

Rep. Sam Johnson (R-Texas), chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee’s Subcommittee on Social Security, released a plan Thursday to reform Social Security that would drastically reduce benefits. The bill would make the program less of a universal earned benefit and more of a means-tested safety net that aims only to provide basic support to the poorest retirees and disabled workers.

Top House Republican Unveils Plan To Gut Social Security | The Huffington Post

echoes long ago 12-10-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1230843)
Rep. Sam Johnson (R-Texas), chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee’s Subcommittee on Social Security, released a plan Thursday to reform Social Security that would drastically reduce benefits. The bill would make the program less of a universal earned benefit and more of a means-tested safety net that aims only to provide basic support to the poorest retirees and disabled workers.

Top House Republican Unveils Plan To Gut Social Security | The Huffington Post

if they do this they will be riden out on rails during the midterm elections in 2018.

Chemar 12-10-2016 06:57 PM

Hi there
It's fine to discuss COLA etc here, and we give a lot of leeway on this important issue, but please remember to limit political posting so as to avoid any partisan disagreements. Thanks.

Quote:

- Limit your direct discussion of politics, as people usually hold pretty strong opinions about this topic. Use the Politics Icon when posting a political thread.
Per Guidelines http://www.neurotalk.org/community-a...-8-2015-a.html

echoes long ago 12-10-2016 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemar (Post 1230870)
Hi there
It's fine to discuss COLA etc here, and we give a lot of leeway on this important issue, but please remember to limit political posting so as to avoid any partisan disagreements. Thanks.

Per Guidelines http://www.neurotalk.org/community-a...-8-2015-a.html

i havent mentioned any parties only a general statement that if a bill like that is passed that those who voted for it would pay a heavy political price

davOD 12-10-2016 08:27 PM

Call me a fool.....But if some one is trying to pull a fast one on me or any other disabled person here......I will scream at the top of my lungs.....Life is hard enough, dont make it harder!

Wheeler 12-13-2016 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1230648)

This is exactly what happened to my disabled husband's COLA raise. The amount of the COLA increase was the exact amount of the Medicare increase so basically no raise for the last two years. Seems kinda funny that the two amounts coincide that so they are not paying anymore money to those who more than likely need it the most.

echoes long ago 12-13-2016 09:37 AM

i dont know what your husbands specifics are but in my case, i dont think i will be getting a raise for quite some time. With this increase im paying $113 a month. However, the actual rate for Medicare has gone to $134 a month. They have not been able to charge the previous two increases in Medicare to those receiving Social Security or SSDI because we have not gotten a raise in the previous two years. If there is no raise they dont charge you at that time for the raise in Medicare because your check cannot be decreased. If you get a small raise they take the whole thing,but they still dont take more than you originally were getting before the raise. So we actually have a deficit. What is happening now and will happen into the forseeable future is that any raise we get will be eaten up by our Medicare deficit, until you reach the minimum that Medicare charges. Of course in the meantime Medicare will continue to go up, so I'm starting to wonder if or when we will really get a raise at all. The reason we are in the predicament is because of all of the years of zero % raises we have gotten in the last decade because of how they calculate the COLA.

echoes long ago 02-12-2017 05:47 PM

i'll throw this out there since no one is contributing any information here at this point. Have any of you reading this and on social security or ssdi, gotten an actual raise in the amount you receive this year or was the increase totally eaten up in the medicare increase also as it was for me and others. ?

DBaron 02-12-2017 10:32 PM

0.3% and they ate the entire thing for Medicare. Ugh...

Mz Migraine 02-16-2017 01:10 PM

Totally eaten up in the medicare increase. I am getting the exact same amount as I did in 2016.
Also, in 2016 I switched from SSDI to SS.

:grouphug:

Shellback 02-24-2017 09:26 AM

I am getting ten dollars less per month and my part d went up 25 bucks.