NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Just signed up (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/237491-signed.html)

sars 07-01-2016 04:09 AM

Just signed up

Hi

I am a mother with a 10 year old who is the proud owner of a brand new diagnosis of nvld and dyscalculia. It has taken quite a number of years to get to this point.
I am hoping to find some information on these disorders so we can feel a little less overwhelmed by it and get the help our little guy needs to get through the first hurdle of middle school.

Thanks

kiwi33 07-01-2016 05:41 AM

Hi sars

Welcome to NeuroTalk - I hope that you will find the community as knowledgeable and supportive as I have.

I am sorry to read about your son.

My partner worked as a child psychologist for many years. She suggests that, if you have not already, it might be worth checking out Speld (Home | Not-for-profit Supporting Queenslanders | SPELD Queensland) - it could be a source of support and resources for you and your son.

All the best.

Lara 07-01-2016 04:49 PM

Hello sars,

Welcome to the NeuroTalk Support Groups. :Wave-Hello:

It would be helpful for you to organize a meeting with all of your son's teachers. Organizing that may vary a bit depending on whether you are in the private or public education system.

I understand how overwhelming it can be for you and especially for your son in the school environment. We were in a similar situation a long time ago (although different diagnoses).

Learn as much as you can about the conditions so that you can guide and understand, but I really can't stress how important it is for your son to have a safe and understanding environment in the classroom and in the playground. It can make such a difference.

take care there.

sars 07-02-2016 01:05 AM

Thanks kiwi33

SPELD is my first port of call, they just don't work during school holidays. Great to know that we are on the right path if we go with them.

Sara

sars 07-02-2016 01:16 AM

Hi Lara

Thank you. We have been fortunate this year that his teachers red flagged him to us for more than a few small issues. They are happy to modify his learning to suit his needs as much as they can (so very helpful but it's been hit and miss there since year 1 when we raised concerns that something seemed to be amiss).
He will be leaving at the end of this year to go to a private school that hopefully will be better resourced and can properly accommodate his needs. We are awaiting an appointment.
Indeed you are right, all of the literature we have read stresses the need for them not to lose confidence or become anxious. Hopefully with the school having the knowledge of nvld they can help him navigate primary and high school with the minimum of stress - fingers crossed.
Sara

kiwi33 07-02-2016 07:28 PM

Hi Sara

One thing which I forgot to mention (another idea from my partner) is that the Queensland branch of ECIA (ECIA QLD: Home) might be worth a look. ECIA is not only concerned with children who have learning problems but there could be stuff there which could help you.