NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   TBI and autonomic dysfunction/small fibre neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/237561-tbi-autonomic-dysfunction-fibre-neuropathy.html)

Sirfy80 07-03-2016 06:38 PM

TBI and autonomic dysfunction/small fibre neuropathy

Hi I have posted before under the peripheral neuropathy forum and got great responses and support there , however I think my symptoms were caused by a impact to my head and was wondering if anyone could take the time to read through my situation .

. Following a hair transplant procedure within around 48 hours I collapsed and was extremely confused and fatigued to the point where I felt like I was going to collapse again every time I stood up. The intense fatigue lasted around a month but the confusion anxiety and altered mental state lasted a lot longer . Doctors family and even myself put this down to either the procedure or medication but couldn't explain how such a simple procedure could cause this .

Initial symptoms along with the fatigue and confusion were intense headache and pressure the worst I've ever experienced or could even imagine from the moment I woke up every day for around 3-4 months .the headache would be at the front of my head but behind my eyes and even down to my cheekbones and jaws I also felt like my bite was slightly off.

Then around 2-3 weeks later I noticed my hands and feet would go numb in my sleep and I would also get pins and needles during the day . Again doctors couldn't explain any of this except for anxiety and that it would pass . Around this time I also noticed I had stopped sweating. All blood tests came back normal except for testosterone which was low but has now a year later recovered to bottom end of normal .

I eventually managed to see a neurologist who diagnosed small fibre neuropathy because of the pins and needles and burning sensations in my feet and wrists which was confirmed via a skin biopsy but also my vagus nerve seems to be damaged as my uvula deviates to the left when I say aah this along with a whole host of autonomic issues I'm having (high heart rate, erectile dysfunction low libido , 2 stones of weight loss) and fullness in ear and whooshing when I speak loudly is puzzling me . Again nobody (medics) has any explanation for this and can only offer me pain killers which (gabapentin etc...) to help with the chronic pain.

The day following my procedure and before passing out I did nock my head fairly hard whilst getting into a taxi at the time I didn't think much of it as I couldn't really feel it as my head was full of anaesthetic . But this is the only thing I can think of which explains certainly my initial symptoms so what I'm really asking is can a tbi cause autonomic dysfunction , damage to vagus nerve and small fibre neuropathy?

Sirfy80 07-29-2016 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirfy80 (Post 1215977)
Hi I have posted before under the peripheral neuropathy forum and got great responses and support there , however I think my symptoms were caused by a impact to my head and was wondering if anyone could take the time to read through my situation .

. Following a hair transplant procedure within around 48 hours I collapsed and was extremely confused and fatigued to the point where I felt like I was going to collapse again every time I stood up. The intense fatigue lasted around a month but the confusion anxiety and altered mental state lasted a lot longer . Doctors family and even myself put this down to either the procedure or medication but couldn't explain how such a simple procedure could cause this .

Initial symptoms along with the fatigue and confusion were intense headache and pressure the worst I've ever experienced or could even imagine from the moment I woke up every day for around 3-4 months .the headache would be at the front of my head but behind my eyes and even down to my cheekbones and jaws I also felt like my bite was slightly off.

Then around 2-3 weeks later I noticed my hands and feet would go numb in my sleep and I would also get pins and needles during the day . Again doctors couldn't explain any of this except for anxiety and that it would pass . Around this time I also noticed I had stopped sweating. All blood tests came back normal except for testosterone which was low but has now a year later recovered to bottom end of normal .

I eventually managed to see a neurologist who diagnosed small fibre neuropathy because of the pins and needles and burning sensations in my feet and wrists which was confirmed via a skin biopsy but also my vagus nerve seems to be damaged as my uvula deviates to the left when I say aah this along with a whole host of autonomic issues I'm having (high heart rate, erectile dysfunction low libido , 2 stones of weight loss) and fullness in ear and whooshing when I speak loudly is puzzling me . Again nobody (medics) has any explanation for this and can only offer me pain killers which (gabapentin etc...) to help with the chronic pain.

The day following my procedure and before passing out I did nock my head fairly hard whilst getting into a taxi at the time I didn't think much of it as I couldn't really feel it as my head was full of anaesthetic . But this is the only thing I can think of which explains certainly my initial symptoms so what I'm really asking is can a tbi cause autonomic dysfunction , damage to vagus nerve and small fibre neuropathy?

Any thoughts or insight into this at all ?

Kind regards

Mark in Idaho 07-29-2016 10:44 PM

Autonomic issues can be the result of inflammation in the upper neck. If you were restrained while the surgery was done, maybe you have some upper neck issues.

I had shoulder surgery last October and they strapped my head to a support device. It had a messed up neck for months.

ConcussedEngineer 07-30-2016 04:36 PM

If you are asking about autonomic dysfunction after a TBI, then I don't think it is that unheard of.

I'll get a lot of flack for this, but a functional neurologist might be helpful for you? I know mine helped with the numbness/dullness sensation I had on the left side of my body.