NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   July 2016 Diet Thread (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/237644-july-2016-diet-thread.html)

OhKay 07-06-2016 08:03 AM

July 2016 Diet Thread

I'll be doing the South Beach Diet on July 12th. Here is a list of foods that are allowed, followed by a list of no, no's for phases 1 & 2:

http://content.everydayhealth.com/sb...Eat-Member.pdf

Summary: Phase 1 is pretty restrictive. You are not supposed to skip meals, and are encouraged to have 2 snacks a day. They say the cravings for bad carbs are supposed to lessen after the first couple of days (lol). A lot of people lose several pounds in the first phase alone, which should only last about 2 weeks. More foods, like fruit, are added back in phase 2, which should last as long as you want to continue to lose weight. Phase 3 adds more foods (mostly your choice) back, but is supposed to be a lifestyle change with an emphasis on good carbs and moderation.

I feel like the food list is really the road map because the diet isn't really structured, but I can post other information if you have questions, or if I run across more details I feel may be helpful.

I just hope I don't blow up like a balloon before I start the diet because I'm eating all the crap I can now while I still can lol.

Kitty 07-06-2016 08:19 AM

I usually don't post in this forum but I wanted to thank you for this information.

I'm going to give it a try since everything else I've tried just doesn't work for me.

I want to lose 20 pounds.....30 would be great but I won't push it.

The only thing I can see that will be difficult for me is the no fruit. I love my fruit but I can do without it as long as I know I can have it again eventually.

Good luck to you while you while you're on this program! LOL to your last sentence!!

bizi 07-06-2016 09:58 AM

Yes kay that is what I did last night.
I ate a piece of cake, left over bread pudding, a pint of chocolate ice cream, and 5 beers.:eek:
No wonder I did not sleep well.
Woke up this morning and weighed myself...
weighed the most I have weighed in a very long time.
Time to get serious.
No more beer, no more cake.....
I did not even use half and half in my coffee like usual, just stevia.
I can get used to this.
bizi

bizi 07-06-2016 12:31 PM

159.5 this morning....time to get serious!
bizi
Off to work I go!
bizi
Hubby insisted that we still go to Pensecola in august. so We will go august 12-13th. so I will not drink any alcohol until then. So that is 5 weeks away, I might be able to drop 5 pounds by then maybe more.
bizi
___

Kitty 07-06-2016 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizi (Post 1216234)
159.5 this morning....time to get serious!

159 is not bad, Bizi......unless you're 4 feet tall! ;)

bizi 07-06-2016 06:48 PM

thanks kitty.
I bought my new scrubs at the thinner weight and now they are just plain too tight.
bizi

kiwi33 07-06-2016 07:05 PM

OhKay, in general I like the look of that eating plan with its emphasis on a wide range of foods with minimal intake of highly-processed ("junk") foods. I hope that it works out well for you.

As a general comment about weight loss, standard advice is to aim to lose no more than 2 lb/1 kg per week - more than that is not likely to be sustainable.

bizi 07-06-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 1216265)
159 is not bad, Bizi......unless you're 4 feet tall! ;)

I was 137 in November!
sigh
bizi

OhKay 07-07-2016 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1216269)

As a general comment about weight loss, standard advice is to aim to lose no more than 2 lb/1 kg per week - more than that is not likely to be sustainable.

You are 100% right. In the book (which really isn't very helpful with particulars) they say that's exactly why they don't recommend people stay in stage 1 for more than two weeks.

OhKay 07-07-2016 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 1216197)
I usually don't post in this forum but I wanted to thank you for this information.

I'm going to give it a try since everything else I've tried just doesn't work for me.

I want to lose 20 pounds.....30 would be great but I won't push it.

The only thing I can see that will be difficult for me is the no fruit. I love my fruit but I can do without it as long as I know I can have it again eventually.

Good luck to you while you while you're on this program! LOL to your last sentence!!

I'm so glad you stopped by!

I hope you check in to let us know how you are doing and to get some support because dieting is hard!