NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Does sedation have the same effects as concussion? (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/237732-sedation-effects-concussion.html)

abigailsophiex 07-08-2016 12:58 PM

Does sedation have the same effects as concussion?

Sorry if I have put this in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where to post it.

I know no one can obviously give me a definite answer on this, I just wondered about other people's experiences.

So a couple of years ago I sustained concussion in a car accident, I was knocked out for a minute or so but my CT scans were clear. My short term memory was gone and I just laid there constantly talking rubbish and repeating myself every 5 minutes. I am having a nerve block for CRPS in a couple of weeks and I am being sedated for it, is it likely that the sedation will have the same effect on me as the concussion? I just remember how traumatic and scary the whole thing was and Im really worried about being put through that again :( Has anyone else had the same experience with concussion and then again with sedation or general anaesthetic?

Skeezyks 07-12-2016 11:16 AM

Hello abifailsophiex: I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. :Noooo: But I saw that no one has replied to your post. So I thought I would. I'm certain I've had quite a few concussions over the years. :rolleyes: But I'm an older person. :eek: And for most of my life, the seriousness of concussions was not recognized. So they simply went untreated.

I've had a variety of surgeries over the years. And none of the anesthesia's I've been administered have caused me to experience what you experienced following your car accident. The only unpleasant thing I can recall following one surgery was, while I was in the hospital following surgery, I had a self-administered morphine drip for 2 or 3 days I guess it was. :Scratch-Head: Afterward, once I was back home, I had some VERY vivid dreams! :eek: I have read that this is not unusual. This after-effect only lasted a few days though. Best wishes... :hug: :)

abigailsophiex 07-27-2016 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skeezyks (Post 1216855)
Hello abifailsophiex: I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question. :Noooo: But I saw that no one has replied to your post. So I thought I would. I'm certain I've had quite a few concussions over the years. :rolleyes: But I'm an older person. :eek: And for most of my life, the seriousness of concussions was not recognized. So they simply went untreated.

I've had a variety of surgeries over the years. And none of the anesthesia's I've been administered have caused me to experience what you experienced following your car accident. The only unpleasant thing I can recall following one surgery was, while I was in the hospital following surgery, I had a self-administered morphine drip for 2 or 3 days I guess it was. :Scratch-Head: Afterward, once I was back home, I had some VERY vivid dreams! :eek: I have read that this is not unusual. This after-effect only lasted a few days though. Best wishes... :hug: :)

Thank you for replying to my post. I am sorry you have had a lot of concussions, 1 is bad enough! I had my procedure yesterday under sedation and I was absolutely fine, no problems at all :)