NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Mystery electric jolts and twitches (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/238014-mystery-electric-jolts-twitches.html)

slay2k 07-17-2016 10:23 AM

Mystery electric jolts and twitches

I'm a 36y/o otherwise healthy male living in the tropics of Puerto Rico.

Current symptoms: muscle fasciculations up and down my body, although none above my neck that I can tell. Mild, sometimes disappear for a few hours but mostly ongoing.

In my abdomen and lower abdomen area, it (or something else) feels like someone tapping me with a finger. Several times a day -- and this is the worst by far -- one of these taps will turn into an electric zap / jolt that startles me and has me jump up with a wince, increasing heart rate, etc. This makes it difficult to relax throughout the day.

I can feel the twitches / bumps more when laying down, so I'm a bit scared of going to bed at night because they either become more noticeable or just get worse.

I have a 2-month history of dealing with this. It started off pretty bad with huge electric jolts every few minutes that decreased in frequency over time and went away almost completely after a few weeks (I've also made huge diet changes that now exclude dairy / gluten / processed foods / etc).

For about 2 weeks the fasciculations also went away, but now they're back along with a miniature version of the jolts. Rather than posting my entire wall-of-text history of dealing with this, I just wanted to know if ANYONE out there experienced something similar?

Suffice it to say I have been to several ERs (bloodwork and abdomen CT is fine, take some Valium and see a neuro), neurologists (your neuro exam is normal), GIs (no parasites in stool, but you have scar tissue from 35 years ago in your lower abdomen, let's do all kinds of crazy colonoscopies and tests which I passed on), etc and everyone has their own opinion but nobody has diagnosed it. My stomach / digestion / everything is completely fine. The valium really helped once or twice when I needed it, but makes me super sleepy and I want to fix the underlying problem instead.

I can't be the only one to experience these symptoms...?

madisongrrl 07-17-2016 03:21 PM

You should also repost this in the Peripheral Neuropathy forum. :)

Skeezyks 07-17-2016 03:55 PM

Hello slay2k: I don't have anything useful to offer here I'm afraid. :Noooo: But I noticed this is your first post here on NeuroTalk. So I just wanted to say... welcome! :welcome_sign:

slay2k 07-17-2016 07:54 PM

Thanks guys, and @madisongrrl will do.