NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Phenoxybenzamine - anybody tried it? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/238473-phenoxybenzamine-tried.html)

Blueberry 07-30-2016 09:47 AM

Phenoxybenzamine - anybody tried it?

Hi, I have been doing some research on this and am wondering if anybody had any experience with this medication. I believe it is not being readily prescribed in the US even though it is an old drug.

The most recent article on this medication used for CRPS I was able to find is dated 2013. Sorry I can't post links yet as a new member on this forum.

Thank you. Hope everybody is having less pain today.

CRPSbe 07-30-2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueberry (Post 1218779)
Hi, I have been doing some research on this and am wondering if anybody had any experience with this medication. I believe it is not being readily prescribed in the US even though it is an old drug.

The most recent article on this medication used for CRPS I was able to find is dated 2013. Sorry I can't post links yet as a new member on this forum.

Thank you. Hope everybody is having less pain today.

I've never heard of this being prescribed for CPRS. I did however take "Adalat" (Nifedipine) for a while. But I mean, I was and am so far advanced nothing really was or is the answer.
Nifedipine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Littlepaw 08-01-2016 10:35 AM

Hi Blueberry,

I too was intrigued by the research on phenoxybenzamine. I looked into it after reading the studies. It can be difficult to obtain in the US. As of last year a US company had bought the rights to it for generic production but was not making it yet. Maybe that has changed. If not, it can be found on Canadian pharmacy sites if you are comfortable with that but then it may be difficult to find someone to oversee it.

I did try a short round of it to see if it brought me any relief. I was very interested in the sympathetic nerve blocking properties. It did increase blood flow. For me that causes more discomfort not less so whatever blockade it gave was outweighed in my particular case. However, we know we're all different and it is a non-invasive thing to try.

I hope you find relief soon, :hug:

Blueberry 08-01-2016 07:55 PM

Hi, Littlepaw
Thank you for your input. It is my daughter, 30, who has CRPS. It started spontaneously in the ball of her foot. No recent trauma or surgery; however, she had the torn ligament in that foot a year ago. She is a former ballet dancer and a runner. There is a history of autoimmune desease in the family (her father has lupus). She has never tested positive for lupus or RA, but she has been frequently getting blue coloring in her toes and fingers since her childhood and has been having minor joint pains on and off for the last few years.

She is on Lyrica which helps to manage the pain to some degree. She has also received bisphosphonate infusions just recently (neridronate). I will post the updates in a while when we know more.

Warm wishes to all.

[/QUOTE]

CRPSbe 08-02-2016 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueberry (Post 1219078)
Hi, Littlepaw
Thank you for your input. It is my daughter, 30, who has CRPS. It started spontaneously in the ball of her foot. No recent trauma or surgery; however, she had the torn ligament in that foot a year ago. She is a former ballet dancer and a runner. There is a history of autoimmune desease in the family (her father has lupus). She has never tested positive for lupus or RA, but she has been frequently getting blue coloring in her toes and fingers since her childhood and has been having minor joint pains on and off for the last few years.

She is on Lyrica which helps to manage the pain to some degree. She has also received bisphosphonate infusions just recently (neridronate). I will post the updates in a while when we know more.

Warm wishes to all.

Bisphosponate infusions are common where I live for tough to battle CRPS. I've had them. Normally they give you 1 a week. I got 5 a week, so that kind of tells you how bad it was, and still is.

Wishing her all the best! :)