NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Can anything be linked to concussion? Seriously?! Thyroid? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/238682-linked-concussion-seriously-thyroid.html)

krisgrt 08-05-2016 07:47 AM

Can anything be linked to concussion? Seriously?! Thyroid?

So my husband now has hyperthyroidism. We are about a year and a half post concussion. From what I have read pituitary damage is more of a severe tbi thing but his wasn't that. There is no family history. He has to wait 2 months to make it to the endocrinologist. Any thoughts or input? Curious if anyone here has dealt with this and of intervention is different if it it caused by pituitary damage due to a concussion.

SuperElectric 08-05-2016 08:11 AM

I'm know it doesn't have to be a severe brain injury to affect hormone balance and production. Be interesting to hear what the endocrinologist says.

krisgrt 08-05-2016 09:46 AM

Thanks. I will try to remember to update after the appointment in October. I am hoping anyone who has had a similar issue will post about their experiences.

QUOTE=SuperElectric;1219488]I'm know it doesn't have to be a severe brain injury to affect hormone balance and production. Be interesting to hear what the endocrinologist says.[/QUOTE]

russiarulez 08-05-2016 05:29 PM

Brain is linked to every part of our body, so when you mess with the brain you are going to have consequences.

For example my digestive system has been affected, as well as my immune system. And I started having major vision issues.

MVTBI 08-06-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russiarulez (Post 1219549)
Brain is linked to every part of our body, so when you mess with the brain you are going to have consequences.

For example my digestive system has been affected, as well as my immune system. And I started having major vision issues.

I also have had issues with my digestive system, and lately a lot of waking up shivering. Funny no one can say what's linked or what's not but my gut tells me it all has something to do with it.

russiarulez 08-06-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVTBI (Post 1219622)
I also have had issues with my digestive system, and lately a lot of waking up shivering. Funny no one can say what's linked or what's not but my gut tells me it all has something to do with it.

I have the opposite - I wake up sweating, seems to happen a lot when I'm having a setback. But I do remember uncontrollable shivering during my first year after the injury.

Mark in Idaho 08-06-2016 09:50 PM

rr, I used to have sweating problems. It was a blood sugar roller coaster. Some SSRI's can also cause sleep sweats and shivering.

russiarulez 08-07-2016 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1219658)
rr, I used to have sweating problems. It was a blood sugar roller coaster. Some SSRI's can also cause sleep sweats and shivering.

Mark, thanks for the info. I do suspect that I have some kind of a blood sugar issue, although never linked my night sweats to that, so it's something new for me to explore.

Thinking of buying a blood sugar tester so I can test it myself when I have some of these issues and see if there is any relation.

I'm not on any meds currently, just an occasional Ambien.