NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   What's on Sale at Your Grocery Store? (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/238777-whats-sale-grocery-store.html)

tkrik 08-08-2016 12:07 PM

What's on Sale at Your Grocery Store?

I went grocery shopping with DD24 (almost 25) this weekend. One of our local grocery stores was having an awesome sale! I loaded up on vegetables and fruit as well as chicken and fish. I got nectarines 3 lbs for $1!!! The chicken was $0.79 a pound! It was a crazy price so I bought a bunch. Other fruits and veggies were either $0.98/lb or $0.88 per pound.

I got to thinking this morning about these prices and what some items cost in other parts of the country/world. So, just for fun, what's on sale at your grocery store this week?

Starznight 08-08-2016 10:26 PM

Those are some awesome deals!!!! Let's see, grapes are on sale for $1.99 lb, bananas for $0.59, chicken breast are buy one get one for a savings of $3.09 a lb. but Ribeye steaks are on sale for $8.99 lb that's a pretty sweet deal. I'm down in Kingsland/St. Mary's GA and peculiar about where I shop... Publix only! We have a couple of Winn-Dixie's and of course a Walmart but ewwww... I can't stomach the food from there. Too many family members have worked at both places and I know their food handling practices :eek:. Granted that's the ones here in town, somewhere else it might be a lot better. But it's not worth the risk of food poisoning for saving a few (and I mean barely saving anything) extra pennies when shopping.

But for right now other than the ribeyes for the DH's birthday and fruit, we're pretty well stocked up in our freezer and pantry. The DH and I always take advantage of any buy one get one deals on meats and then freeze them up. We also love it when they have the huge pork loins on sale since we'll cut them down into chops and smaller roasts (Publix will also do it for us at no charge, but DH likes to play butcher) We do the same thing when they have great deals on beef sirloin, buy a huge roast and then have sirloin steaks and beef tips for many many meals. Those deals should be coming along more as we head into the fall and winter, it seems once school starts back up the stores start selling a ton of roasts, and we get the majority of our meat for the year.

tkrik 08-10-2016 12:45 PM

That is a great price on the rib eye!!! It will make for a really nice dinner for your DH! We have the buy one get one free deals here too. Some places even have buy 1 get 2 free and even, although very rarely, buy 1 get 3 free. That's when I stock up on meat as well. Although, I did get the chicken that was on sale for $0.79/lb. They were thighs and dumbsticks. I got the thighs. I don't particularly like them but they are great in soups and casseroles and such. DD26 and her husband make some sort of chicken thigh dish that's awesome!

bddouglas 08-10-2016 01:18 PM

Starznight,

We are practically neighbors, aren't we? Well, until December. I plan to move to Brantley County. Publix is the best grocery store we have in our area. I would never buy produce from WalMart, they are known to vary the temperatures of their produce way too much to keep it really fresh.

I start thinking about shopping around the middle of the month, usually around the 13th or 14th. Just before the military is paid and I try to go in the morning. So I will be checking the ads Friday evening when I am sitting here with nothing else to do. lol

Of course, the sales all seems to start on Wednesday so I hope there are some good ones this week.

Wiix 08-10-2016 07:47 PM

Tiny watermelons are easy to bounce. You buy them at a decent price, get them home, cut them open and you can't even eat them. They are all smashed inside. No more watermelons for me!! :mad: I've bought one every week since the summer began and it's happened every time.

Even the cut pieces have been left out in the air so the surface of the melon are all slimy. :ranting:

TheSleeper 08-16-2016 05:54 AM

Whole chicken leg sections ( drumstick and thigh ) 10# bag @ 49 cents a pound.

I have a deep freeze in my garage and we stock up on sale items, will probably get 30-40 pounds.

Chicken makes easy meals!

Riverwild 08-16-2016 07:37 AM

Lobster $4.50 lb...:cool:

Kitty 08-16-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwild (Post 1220675)
Lobster $4.50 lb...:cool:

Show off! :p

tkrik 08-16-2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 1220685)
Show off! :p

I agree! She just pops right in here with her "Lobster $4.50 a pound" and then that's it. Poof! She's done.:D:D

Sleeper - What a great price on chicken!!! I would stock up and get as many as I could fit in my freezer and DDs' freezers. Whole chickens here were $0.99 a pound. That's double what yours were. DD24 and I were talking about how you can cook the whole chicken and have meals for the rest of the week (and then some depending on what else you have planned for the week). In fact, there's a whole chicken in my oven right now. I'm cooking it up for the week. It'll be done in about 45 minutes.

Wiix - I hate it when you buy a watermelon and get it home and it is not good. Mushy, dry, grainy, etc. UGH!!! I try my best at picking out good ones but sometimes I just get a bad one. I have one waiting to be cut up and I'm hoping it's a good one.

TheSleeper 08-17-2016 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 1220720)
I agree! She just pops right in here with her "Lobster $4.50 a pound" and then that's it. Poof! She's done.:D:D

Sleeper - What a great price on chicken!!! I would stock up and get as many as I could fit in my freezer and DDs' freezers. Whole chickens here were $0.99 a pound. That's double what yours were. DD24 and I were talking about how you can cook the whole chicken and have meals for the rest of the week (and then some depending on what else you have planned for the week). In fact, there's a whole chicken in my oven right now. I'm cooking it up for the week. It'll be done in about 45 minutes.

Wiix - I hate it when you buy a watermelon and get it home and it is not good. Mushy, dry, grainy, etc. UGH!!! I try my best at picking out good ones but sometimes I just get a bad one. I have one waiting to be cut up and I'm hoping it's a good one.

tkrik, actually I was wrong on the price, it was a ten pound bag for 3.99. It is though just whole leg sections, drumsticks and thighs, whole chickens, chicken breasts and even chicken wings are much more expensive in my area.

We also got a whole rib eye for 4.99 a pound, we slice it at home and save 2 bucks a pound on sliced rib eye steaks.