NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Cardiologist (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/238959-cardiologist.html)

doydie 08-13-2016 10:25 PM

Cardiologist

It seems as if I didn't tell you all about my bout with chest pain. While Charlie was in the hospital I had some chest pain two nights in a row. i do tend to get indigestion when I over do on chocolate and I did then. Stress eating:eek: Nitro didn't help it at all and I just readjusted my pillows so that i was kind of sleeping sitting up. Well I told my doctor's nurse practitioner, that's the only way I get to see anyone when I go to his office, and she ordered a stress test. I had it Wednesday and it was awful. I flunked it plus had an rare asthmatic response to the medicine they gave to stress the heart. I had EKG changes during the stress test and as soon as it was over I had chest pain. So I have an appointment to see a cardiologist. Nurse practitioner says I will more than likely need a cardiac cath and stent. I guess it id time for Charlie to take care of me.

PamelaJune 08-14-2016 02:38 AM

Sending you virtual hugs, you have been working yourself to the bone, all for love I know, but now it's time to sit back and allow others tend to you. Thinking of you and wishing you well xxx

bddouglas 08-14-2016 02:47 PM

Hugs, love and positive thoughts sent your way. I will be praying that you will be able to take it easy and do as the doctor orders and not worry about others and let them take care of you for a while.

NurseNancy 08-14-2016 05:18 PM

if it's not one thing it's another. umph.

i hope the tests etc go smoothly. your drs are on top of this.
healing thoughts coming your way. :hug:

ger715 08-14-2016 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doydie (Post 1220387)
It seems as if I didn't tell you all about my bout with chest pain. While Charlie was in the hospital I had some chest pain two nights in a row. i do tend to get indigestion when I over do on chocolate and I did then. Stress eating:eek: Nitro didn't help it at all and I just readjusted my pillows so that i was kind of sleeping sitting up. Well I told my doctor's nurse practitioner, that's the only way I get to see anyone when I go to his office, and she ordered a stress test. I had it Wednesday and it was awful. I flunked it plus had an rare asthmatic response to the medicine they gave to stress the heart. I had EKG changes during the stress test and as soon as it was over I had chest pain. So I have an appointment to see a cardiologist. Nurse practitioner says I will more than likely need a cardiac cath and stent. I guess it id time for Charlie to take care of me.

I had that type of stress test a while ago; it really starts your heart pumping; not nice. Not surprised you has asthmatic issue with the medicine used for the test.

Your cardiologist might order an Angiogram to determine whether there is any blockage or the need for a stent. Please keep us informed.

Additional prayers coming your way.

Gerry

tkrik 08-15-2016 12:01 PM

Oh no!!! I hope your cardiologist can figure it all out and get your heart back to functioning normally. I know you, as a cardiac nurse, know the routine but I am sorry you have to go through it. Hang in there! Keeping you in my prayers.:hug::hug:

NurseNancy 08-15-2016 01:05 PM

how are you doydie?
have you had any tests yet?

hope you're doing ok & you're working on this problem.

Debbie D 08-15-2016 02:11 PM

Yikes...hope that you're able to get some answers soon...please let us know how you're doing!!:hug:

doydie 08-15-2016 10:28 PM

gerri, you ain't a kiddin it gets your heart a pumpin! It is pumping out of your chest wall.

Some one asked how I was doing. I was OK about all of this until today. I am very winded most of the time and I worry about that. I know one part of it is my heart rate. I normally run about 46 but I have been running 39 or 40 also. When I get from the grocery store to the car, get my body in the car, put my purse where it needs to be, put my sea belt off, that is all I can do. My husband can't drive until tomorrow and yesterday he didn't understand why after I got out of the parking place at Walmart, I drove behind Walmart and just stopped. I needed to get out of the handicapped place because some one else was waiting for me. I know how much I appreciate them and wanted to get out for them. So I just went behind the store and stopped and caught my breath. It's pretty much the same for any activity.

Many years ago I developed a condition, quite benign, called PAT. The nurses in here know what it is. My heart rate can really get up there and go REAL fast and there is no reason for it. Get on medicine and it's cured. So I need on my beta blocker but it seems the beta blocker is taking it down TOOOOOO low now. So last night trying to go to sleep I was invisioning me going into the office tomorrow. I know from my husband being in the same office they do an EKG the first thing. So doctor sees this, listens to my symptoms, takes into consideration and says I need a pacemaker right then and there. So since I can't get into the pacemaker lab, they put me in ICU to put me on a temporary external pacemaker. I am seeing all these things that can happen. Just one of the problems with being a nurse, especially a cardiac nurse. I see a cardiac cath and then open heart surgery, and pacemaker. So I am a nervous wreck right now. And all it may need is a different beta blocker to make sure my heart rate doesn't go to 200 again but just stays around 60. And right now a heart rate of 54 feels real hard in my chest.

My husband was not going to go with me, it's to early in the morning and neither of us are early people but he knows how concerned I am and he is going with me. Plus, tomorrow is his one month day from his last surgery and he can drive! He knows how upset I am that he has never met my neurologist and I have been with her since 1997.

ger715 08-15-2016 11:54 PM

doydie,
I'm glad Charlie is going with you. But of course, he will be very calm and not add to any additional stress; right???????

Please don't put yourself on this merry-go-round until you really know. I'm sure having been a cardiac nurse does help you visualize what might not take place. It's a wonder you were able to accomplish all you did with hubby's hospitalization, etc.; so I think you're afraid it's your turn.

The quantity of prayers has now increased to...... extra, extra prayers are coming your way.

Gerry

tkrik 08-16-2016 03:12 PM

That's scary stuff, Doydie!!! When is your appointment with the cardiologist? I hope they get your heart issues taken care of soon. Please keep us posted and let us know what happens after your appointment. :hug:You know us, we will worry about you.;)

doydie 08-16-2016 04:35 PM

I am a bad girl. I didn't post when I got home from appointment this morning but my priority was getting back to bed!

Charlie did go with me but I think for the wrong reason. He has this one thing he always says' logic and common sense dictates'. He didn't like it at all when they said I had to get my heart rate up over 130 the other day when it was starting at 46. He says common sense just says it would cause undo stress. So that was why he wanted to go, to confront her with that since she was the one who did the stress test. I told him that I didn't want her on the defensive and not treating ME right if he went in with that attitude. So he let her examine me and then went off on her. She then asked him if he was saying that he didn't think she didn't have common sense. So she explained the reasoning for having to raise the rate that high.

She said I have 2 options. 1, go off of my beta blocker and get my heart rate up and then re-evaluate. 2, do a cardiac cath. I opted for 2 and we will also do the beta blocker thing . So for now I am off my beta blocker. so far I haven't seen any problem but I did take the half dose yesterday at noon so it hasn't been long. But it will be difficult. I have been on it since the mid 70's. The cath will be done next Monday.

ger715 08-16-2016 05:47 PM

doydie,

Thank you for the info. Is the cardiac cath similar to an Angiogram???

doydie, if you reread my previous post about Charlie going with you; I also mentioned Charlie being calm, and not add to any stress...., etc. I had pretty much figured out from past posts the possibility of his having a bit of an attitude. "What a guy"; but I'm sure he is really adorable.

Actually it is a bit concerning with the type of stress test using medication which really gets your heart pumping. I remember thinking with the way my heart was pumping; "can this test actually bring on a heart attack"?

Are there any withdrawal side effects; other than increasing your heart rate, going off beta blocker without decreasing your dose gradually?

Gerry

doydie 08-16-2016 10:49 PM

gerri, actually my husband is a nice guy quite a bit. He loves his family, just was never taught by his own family how to show it. From the way he talks about his family it was every person for themselves, must be extremely equal portions at equal times, etc. His way of showing love for our girls is to provide financially even though I have told him that it is enabling.

I am concerned about going cold turkey on this Tenormin. From what I am reading and it is old internet stuff, it can cause a lot of anxiety and even heart attack, must be tapered off. I know the way I am feeling now there is no way I will be bale to sleep laying down. We went out and bought one of those nice lounge pillows that a lot of people use to read in bed. I had been doing something like that to ease my breathing and heart down anyway but then once my my breathing was settled would take my pillow from against headboard and lay it flat. So now I may have to sleep against this thing. I have been off of it now since yesterday at lunch and my heart rate is still only 46. But it is just pounding away so hard. Not comfortable at all. And worst of all I will have to miss my choir practice tomorrow night when we get to listen to our Christmas cantata. If I feel safe enough to drive I may go late just to sit with the choir and listen.

I feel a call to the Heart Group office is in my future.

ger715 08-17-2016 12:51 AM

doydie,

You did notice I wrote I'm sure he is adorable. That showed thru as well. To be honest; I think I know this kinda adorable type very well.

Take care. A heart rate of only 46 and still pounding hard. I think a call to the Heart Group office might be a good idea.

Gerry

NurseNancy 08-17-2016 10:33 AM

doydie,

just evaluate as you go. i know you are. call the office by the end of the wk if you think you need to. don't we all just hate wk/ends?

why do they want your heart rate so much higher? 130? you'd think from 48 to even 100 would be acceptable. i think i'm missing something here.

tkrik 08-17-2016 11:50 AM

Thanks for the update! I've been keeping you in my prayers. :hug::hug: I hope the tapering goes well. Does salt help with your heart rate at all? And could the decreased hear rate be due to one of your other medicines?

Kitty 08-17-2016 02:57 PM

Doydie, I'm worried about you. Please take it easy until you have the cath done.

I know Charlie is worried about you, too, and probably a little scared. I think the doctors deal with family members that are anxious and she should know that he's just trying to protect you. I hope you'll accept help from others to make your life easier.

doydie 08-17-2016 11:03 PM

Judy, the heart rate of 130 was only for the stress test. I think my husband is about to knock out anyone who thinks it makes good sense to have some one who normally has a heart rate in the 40's to have to get up to 130 for a stress test. But that was last week, it is over. I am feeling better, heart still pounding a little hard with activity but at rest feels pretty good. But still pumping along in the 40's:( B/P is my usual 150/80 or so. I am to call the office tomorrow with an update. I have no idea what they will say. I would think the anxiety I am having over the upcoming cardiac cath would be enough to bring this heart rate up. Maybe I should start reading some racy books????:D

Bless his heart. We have this habit that I can be really involved in something and he can come up behind me and speak and I about jump out of my skin. He also has always had a habit that he is unable to approach the bed when wanting to speak. When waking the girls for school, he would stand in the doorway and say their name instead of sitting on their bed and gently waking them up. We sleep in separate beds because of our different sleeping habits. So last night he came to check on me and just spoke the words 'are you OK?'. I almost flew out of the bed. So next time I could feel him trying to find my wrist so he could check my pulse. I think he is scared and doesn't know how to handle it. I told him he is getting just a little bit of the taste of how I have lived my life with him the last 4 years between all of his times in the hospital. If the results are really serious next week I have no idea how he will react. When she talked to us about the cath, and I could tell it was her usual instructions, she told us about possibility of just cath or stent or immediate surgery.

ger715 08-18-2016 12:42 AM

doydie,
I know it's easier said than done; but please try not to go there with your mind taking you to where you might not have to go. I know your not looking forward to having the cath done; but it just may show you are not going to need a stent or surgery.

Prayers for both you and Charlie. Poor guy, he is so worried.

Gerry

NurseNancy 08-18-2016 12:36 PM

doydie,
when you go for the cath is there someone that can sit with your dh & give him support?

eat lots of chocolate; for me it's a great stress reliever.

ger715 08-18-2016 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseNancy (Post 1220968)
doydie,
when you go for the cath is there someone that can sit with your dh & give him support?

eat lots of chocolate; for me it's a great stress reliever.

Nancy,
Good idea; I think he will feel much better having someone supportive with him. Both doydie and he have been through so much.

Gerry

doydie 08-18-2016 10:59 PM

My daughter will be there with us. But my husband is not the easiest person and sit with in a waiting room. It is all about politics and all the inconsistencies of the world, people asking for things they don't deserve, entitlements. You get the picture. He just isn't an easy person to sit with. and the more he gets into it, the louder his voice becomes. my daughter Michelle knows how to handle it and we all know that you have to do what you gotta do to keep him off any of those subjects.

As far as chocolate, I don't know if you mean for me or him. If you mean for me I think that is what gave me the severe chest pain to begin with. If I eat to much, and when I am stressed it isn't hard to do, it gives me indigestion. We went grocery shopping today and I love to go to Walmart's bakery. I bought a tin of the cream cheese frosted brownies. Yeah, good for my diet. But that chocolate got my heart rate all the way up to 51 tonight!!!!! I just hope my heart won't be jumping out of my chest tonight because of it. But boy it was good.

NurseNancy 08-19-2016 06:13 PM

when my parents were alive and we all lived in denver, i would see my folks a lot. all they did was lecture me about money and my weight. it really eventually got on my nerves so much i didn't come around that often. it was really bothersome because what they said was true, nothing i didn't tell myself.

so one day i was there and got a brilliant idea. i said to my folks "i will listen intently to anything you want to tell me...but...you only have 2 minutes. then i timed it. when the time was up i put up my hand like a stop sign and said "time's up".

while i'm typing this i somehow get the idea your dh wouldn't appreciate this. especially when he's stressed and worried about you.

ger715 08-19-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doydie (Post 1221002)
My daughter will be there with us. But my husband is not the easiest person and sit with in a waiting room. It is all about politics and all the inconsistencies of the world, people asking for things they don't deserve, entitlements. You get the picture. He just isn't an easy person to sit with. and the more he gets into it, the louder his voice becomes. my daughter Michelle knows how to handle it and we all know that you have to do what you gotta do to keep him off any of those subjects.

As far as chocolate, I don't know if you mean for me or him. If you mean for me I think that is what gave me the severe chest pain to begin with. If I eat to much, and when I am stressed it isn't hard to do, it gives me indigestion. We went grocery shopping today and I love to go to Walmart's bakery. I bought a tin of the cream cheese frosted brownies. Yeah, good for my diet. But that chocolate got my heart rate all the way up to 51 tonight!!!!! I just hope my heart won't be jumping out of my chest tonight because of it. But boy it was good.

doydie,
It appears your daughter knows her dad pretty well. If nothing else; this will take his mind off from too much worry while you are having your test.
Wishing you all good things and then some....

Gerry

doydie 08-19-2016 10:48 PM

No my DH wouldn't appreciate a timer. But I do realize when his brain has shut me out, sexy lady on TV, car commercial, politician on TV, Fox news is ON, Simpsons or Simpson's like show. The list could goon and on. Sometimes I have to just say 'hey there, I'm talking to you. Or mute the TV.

Yeah, both my girls know their Dad. And my sister's husband is the same way. Then when they are together, us women have to be on high alert as to what they are talking about and intervene. My niece's husband will just interrupt and say "How about those Bengals?' Men!

Well my heart rate has stayed in the 50's all day and now is at or close to 60 and it isn't comfortable. I called the doctor's office yesterday since she had asked me to. Well I got no return call. So today I called again and said that I expected a return call today. I realize that many times they call after the office hours are over so I wasn't worried when she hadn't called by 4:30. But I really, I mean really needed to take a shower and wash my hair. So I told Charlie that if she called during my shower to just let me know and I would turn the water off. Glad no video phone!!! Well I was done with the shower and sitting in the recliner very short of breath because of the shower when she called. So In a way I was glad she called as late as she did. It has only been my husband that has seen me when I do activity and get like that. She said that if it didn't recover, which it did just like I knew it would, that I would need to go to the ER. But I knew as soon as it recovered that I had to go back int he bathroom and blow dry my hair! So, shower and hair done!!!!!! Look better for it. Monday I will not put myself through that again but will just stand at the sink and bathe there. I have to bathe with an antibacterial soap day of cath.

ger715 08-20-2016 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doydie (Post 1221115)
No my DH wouldn't appreciate a timer. But I do realize when his brain has shut me out, sexy lady on TV, car commercial, politician on TV, Fox news is ON, Simpsons or Simpson's like show. The list could goon and on. Sometimes I have to just say 'hey there, I'm talking to you. Or mute the TV.

Yeah, both my girls know their Dad. And my sister's husband is the same way. Then when they are together, us women have to be on high alert as to what they are talking about and intervene. My niece's husband will just interrupt and say "How about those Bengals?' Men!

Well my heart rate has stayed in the 50's all day and now is at or close to 60 and it isn't comfortable. I called the doctor's office yesterday since she had asked me to. Well I got no return call. So today I called again and said that I expected a return call today. I realize that many times they call after the office hours are over so I wasn't worried when she hadn't called by 4:30. But I really, I mean really needed to take a shower and wash my hair. So I told Charlie that if she called during my shower to just let me know and I would turn the water off. Glad no video phone!!! Well I was done with the shower and sitting in the recliner very short of breath because of the shower when she called. So In a way I was glad she called as late as she did. It has only been my husband that has seen me when I do activity and get like that. She said that if it didn't recover, which it did just like I knew it would, that I would need to go to the ER. But I knew as soon as it recovered that I had to go back int he bathroom and blow dry my hair! So, shower and hair done!!!!!! Look better for it. Monday I will not put myself through that again but will just stand at the sink and bathe there. I have to bathe with an antibacterial soap day of cath.

Yes; that antibacterial soap a must (usually use Dial) with any poking or proding. It's just not worth it to put yourself thru that again on Monday.

Of course; you know we'll all be here rooting for you. Too bad Charlie isn't into posting with us. We'll just have to wait.

Feel the prayers dear lady; they'll be with you.

Gerry

doydie 08-20-2016 10:21 PM

Gerry, I just put Neurotalk into my iPad which will be with me. Now if it's just a cath and they don't do anything and I'm not in there any longer than to recover me, I don't know if I will be on it except to tell my family I am OK. But I would be lost without communicating with the iPad. Thanks for all the support.

I am feeling a lot better today. Heart rate staying in the mid 50s, b/P really better than it has been in a long time. Very little shortness of breath with activity and heart isn't pounding with it either. Just getting off of that beta blocker was more than awful. Indescribable. I don't recommend it for anyone.

ger715 08-20-2016 10:42 PM

doydie,

I was concerned when you first mentioned you were going off the beta blocker. It seem too quickly. Glad you are feeling better.

Thanks for the iPad info. Will be checking in.

Enjoy the little "tid bits" about Charlie. It brings a smile to my face. I can just picture him during the discussions you mention.

Praying all goes well.

Gerry

doydie 08-21-2016 10:12 PM

Gerry, he is so worried about me that he checks on me at night every time he empties his bag which is about 3 times. Last night he came in and said 'Joyce, are you asleep?' So my classic answer was 'I was'. LOL. But I wasn't. Went to bed about 11 and finally got to sleep somewhere around 5 maybe. So missed church. My oldest daughter will be working tomorrow and awaiting his call. He isn't good on his cell phone at all. So I made sure I put her work phone in the phone and it is simply labeled Christina work. bless his heart, he hasn't the slightest knowledge on texting. He doesn't even know if I am texting, tweeting or what. I don't have a twitter account. But he is worried and helpless.

We celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary last year when he was in the hospital with meningitis. It is Sept 2nd. So I am wondering what next years will bring????

ger715 08-21-2016 10:49 PM

doydie,

Will be thinking of you tomorrow a.m. Looking forward to learning results.

Also, I'm with Charlie on the texting, etc. I do not have an iPad. The kids want to get us one. I keep saying "no thank you". The cell phone, lap top with email and internet shopping is enough. I am told not too many email these days. Just so they don't take away internet shopping.

I'm sure Charlie is worried; I think he is so accustomed to it being him needing care; he would feel helpless if it were any different. Last year, along with this past year has got to bring a GRrrreeeat, healthy 2017.

Gerry

Kitty 08-22-2016 05:06 AM

Thinking of you, Doydie, and looking forward to your check in when you're finished. I hope Charlie stays calm and collected throughout today. You're in my prayers. :circlelove:

NurseNancy 08-22-2016 12:58 PM

me too sending good thoughts your way. :grouphug:

doydie 08-22-2016 05:02 PM

My iPad is working fine here. I am now a member of the stent club. I had 90%blockage in one artery and 2 blockages of 30 and 40%. So the 90% has a stent. I guess I will have some medicine changes. The tech is amazed at how much and how often I can fill a bedpan.

ger715 08-22-2016 09:20 PM

doydie,

Thankful you had enough warning and the sense not to wait to have the tests done.

Prayers continuing for both you and Charlie.

Gerry

PamelaJune 08-23-2016 07:04 AM

Sending hugs, warmth and prayers. Stay strong :hug::hug:

NurseNancy 08-23-2016 04:05 PM

i'm glad they were able to tx the affected vessel.
i'm guessing you will feel much better.
how's your dh?

prayers coming your way for recovery.

doydie 08-24-2016 10:15 PM

Husband is a little calmer but still worried about my blood pressure and heart rate. Plus he doesn't like that i am not eating what he likes. He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Having a heart attack and 4 stents never changed him on that.

Got on my recumbent bike today and also did some walking but choir practice was pretty tiring.

ger715 08-25-2016 12:27 AM

doydie,
You seem to be doing very well. Not sure about the heart rate tho....did you get a change in meds? Other than not liking your diet; how is Charlie taking to your joining the "stent" club?

Gerry

NurseNancy 08-25-2016 01:29 PM

doydie,

i know you know this already from MS but...take cues from your body and listen to them. you'll know when it's a bit too much. then time to rest.

from one nurse to another, ya know i have to give loving advice. :hug: