NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Can psoriatic arthritis be a cause of sfn? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/239160-psoriatic-arthritis-cause-sfn.html)

_dreamer_ 08-20-2016 07:10 AM

Can psoriatic arthritis be a cause of sfn?

I'm having trouble finding info online. I was just diagnosed with psoriasis and the derm thinks that my joint pain might be caused by psoriatic arthritis. I've had this psoriasis for years (maybe about 12 years) but just went to the derm and had a biospy to get the doctor to see what it was...

Have been having joint pain for a couple of years now. I'm wondering if this could be the cause of my sensory polyneuropathy.

Thank you.

en bloc 08-20-2016 07:26 AM

Although PsA is autoimmune based, I'm not sure it 'causes' SFN. I think more often, it accompanies other rheumatic disease process. Have you been tested for other Autoimmune diseases?? If not, this is certainly warranted.

I have PsA, but had Sjogren's first...and the Sjogren's is what caused my SFN/PN, not the PsA.

I'm also not sure you would be Dx with PsA with just psoriasis and joint pain. Typically, PsA involved major joint swellings and sausage like digits (fingers), confirmed fluid in the joints (even small joints of fingers), along with other signs of tendonitis (particularly Achilles) and flares of pain.

You should see a rheumatologist for a formal Dx, if this is what they think might be going on. A rheumatologist would also be the one to properly treat PsA, based upon severity.

_dreamer_ 08-20-2016 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by en bloc (Post 1221131)
Although PsA is autoimmune based, I'm not sure it 'causes' SFN. I think more often, it accompanies other rheumatic disease process. Have you been tested for other Autoimmune diseases?? If not, this is certainly warranted.

I have PsA, but had Sjogren's first...and the Sjogren's is what caused my SFN/PN, not the PsA.

I'm also not sure you would be Dx with PsA with just psoriasis and joint pain. Typically, PsA involved major joint swellings and sausage like digits (fingers), confirmed fluid in the joints (even small joints of fingers), along with other signs of tendonitis (particularly Achilles) and flares of pain.

You should see a rheumatologist for a formal Dx, if this is what they think might be going on. A rheumatologist would also be the one to properly treat PsA, based upon severity.

Thanks! I've some other symptoms as well...thanks for the info. Waiting for more tests to come back but Derm said I'll have to see a rheum if this is what's going on...hoping that it's not. Enough is enough! Thanks again

JoannaP79 08-21-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dreamer_ (Post 1221148)
Thanks! I've some other symptoms as well...thanks for the info. Waiting for more tests to come back but Derm said I'll have to see a rheum if this is what's going on...hoping that it's not. Enough is enough! Thanks again

I have ankylosing spondylitis as well as neuropathy everywhere. A.S is in the same ' family' as PsA. I had A S first forbyears and then developed the neuropathy. It wasn't drug induced, it came on its own. I dont think there is always a clear connection between autoimmune problems and if you have one you may well get another- not necessarily linked to the first. What makes it all so tough is finding treatment that can address the different autoimmune mechanisms in one hit. Different disease modifying drugs target different mechanisms within the immune system.
I did find that when I took Enbrel for my A.S, the neuropathy was better - everything was better. But not entirely and I felt not enough to continue. I stopped it and now am trying to find the right thing to manage it all.
I developed the neuropathy before Enbrel so there is no connection there.

bluesfan 08-22-2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaP79 (Post 1221240)
I have ankylosing spondylitis as well as neuropathy everywhere. A.S is in the same ' family' as PsA. I had A S first forbyears and then developed the neuropathy. It wasn't drug induced, it came on its own. I dont think there is always a clear connection between autoimmune problems and if you have one you may well get another- not necessarily linked to the first. What makes it all so tough is finding treatment that can address the different autoimmune mechanisms in one hit. Different disease modifying drugs target different mechanisms within the immune system.
I did find that when I took Enbrel for my A.S, the neuropathy was better - everything was better. But not entirely and I felt not enough to continue. I stopped it and now am trying to find the right thing to manage it all.
I developed the neuropathy before Enbrel so there is no connection there.

Hi Joanna,

Not sure if you've tried Humira (Adalimumab). I know of someone here in NZ who has been prescribed it for A.S. (and my brother takes it for R.A). It's fairly expensive but if it's available in NZ under the public health subsidized pharmaceuticals it's probably available in the UK. I have no idea if it's effective for neuropathy. My brother says it's far more effective for RA than anything else he's had (eg methotrexate, celebrex, prednisone, etc.) and with less side effects.

Hope this is useful. Sorry dreamer for jumping in on your thread. You may want to search the site here for Psoriatic Arthritis (or Psoriasis + neuropathy).
I vaguely remember someone posting a while ago about having PA and neuropathy or some connection.

JoannaP79 08-27-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesfan (Post 1221355)
Hi Joanna,

Not sure if you've tried Humira (Adalimumab). I know of someone here in NZ who has been prescribed it for A.S. (and my brother takes it for R.A). It's fairly expensive but if it's available in NZ under the public health subsidized pharmaceuticals it's probably available in the UK. I have no idea if it's effective for neuropathy. My brother says it's far more effective for RA than anything else he's had (eg methotrexate, celebrex, prednisone, etc.) and with less side effects.

Hope this is useful. Sorry dreamer for jumping in on your thread. You may want to search the site here for Psoriatic Arthritis (or Psoriasis + neuropathy).
I vaguely remember someone posting a while ago about having PA and neuropathy or some connection.

Hi bluesfan, thanks for the info:-) I have been offered humira and if I just had A S I'd take it in a heartbeat. I don't believe it will address the nerve disease - whatever that is - and that worries me and affects me significantly more.

Healthgirl 08-30-2016 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dreamer_ (Post 1221130)
I'm having trouble finding info online. I was just diagnosed with psoriasis and the derm thinks that my joint pain might be caused by psoriatic arthritis. I've had this psoriasis for years (maybe about 12 years) but just went to the derm and had a biospy to get the doctor to see what it was...

Have been having joint pain for a couple of years now. I'm wondering if this could be the cause of my sensory polyneuropathy.

Thank you.

Have you had a full autoimmune work up? Have you been checked for celiac?