NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Derrick has elevated enzymes (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/239205-derrick-elevated-enzymes.html)

Dmom3005 08-22-2016 10:57 AM

Derrick has elevated enzymes

Hi, anyone that can post links for this I'd appreciate it.
The nurse practioneer is sending him to a gastronologist

Donna

kiwi33 08-22-2016 04:53 PM

I might be able to help - which enzymes seem to be elevated?

Dmom3005 08-22-2016 06:20 PM

phosphate I think its called.

Donna :hug::grouphug:

kiwi33 08-22-2016 07:33 PM

It might be an enzyme called alkaline phosphatase.

Elevated levels of alkaline phosphatase in the blood can indicate a range of liver and gall bladder problems.

The information here could help you and Derrick to ask the health professionals informed questions Alkaline Phosphatase Level Test (ALP).

Mari 08-22-2016 11:29 PM

Donna,

Can you tell us more?
Have the doctors considered the impact of his current medication?

Liver alkaline phosphatase: A missing link between choleresis and biliary inflammation - Poupon - 215 - Hepatology - Wiley Online Library
Quote:

Serum AP activity is derived primarily from three sources: liver, bone, and in some patients the intestinal tract. The intestinal contribution (about 10%-20%) is of importance primarily in people with blood groups O and B,

Oxcarbazepine-induced liver injury after sensitization by valproic acid: a case report - Chait Mermelstein - 216 - Bipolar Disorders - Wiley Online Library
Quote:

The aim of the present case report is to describe a potential interaction between valproic acid and oxcarbazepine that resulted in hepatic injury.

Probable levetiracetam-related serum alkaline phosphatase elevation | BMC Neurology | Full Text
Quote:

Here, we reported an epileptic pediatric patient who developed a significant elevation in serum alkaline phosphatase level (ALP) during LEV monotherapy.

http://www.ijorim.com/siteadmin/arti...sh%2030-33.pdf
Quote:

The present study was
designed to evaluate significance of liver enzymes
in patients of epilepsy when treated with long term
sodium valproate therapy

M

Dmom3005 08-23-2016 09:36 AM

It is probably the alkaline phosphate. This is technically the third
test he has had that its elevated.

His ultrasounds of the right side of abdomen were fine. I am not
sure Ill know anymore till we get to the doctor.

When it comes to medicine its hard to say, he has been on at one point
or another many of the epilepsy medicines. Would it still effect after
being off for years. Ugh

mrsD 08-23-2016 10:41 AM

Elevated liver enzymes also happen with EpsteinBarr virus infection. (mononucleosis). This is very common in teens and young adults. Some other viruses may also increase liver enzymes, but that passes in 3 to 6 months. Usually all of them will elevate in a group, and not just one of them, if the trigger is viral. The monospot blood test will reveal if he has been infected. The antibodies usually last for life with this virus. Lowered WBC with the liver findings may suggest another virus culprit.

If only alkaline phosphatase is elevated, this can indicate a bone issue (trauma) or excessive sports or physical activity.
High bone turnover will elevate this but usually it is not a high value, but just a bit out of the range. Some rare genetic bone diseases will show up with elevations of just this one enzyme.
Paget's disease is one example.

Dmom3005 08-23-2016 04:30 PM

Thanks Mrs. D.

Mari 08-24-2016 12:51 AM

Donna,

How long has he been off the epilepsy medications?

Does he take any other medications?

M

OhKay 08-24-2016 06:49 AM

Donna,

Since more than one test result has been abnormal, I think it's best not to speculate right now, and to wait until you see the doctor to discuss what he thinks could be going on :hug::hug::hug:

Even though Derrick has had multiple abnormal test results, it doesn't necessarily mean that he's having a very serious issue, and it's possible that whatever is going on could be easily treated, and I hope that is the case :hug::hug::hug:

You will be in my thoughts and prayers :hug::hug::hug: