NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   Hernias (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/239639-hernias.html)

PamelaJune 09-03-2016 09:32 PM

Hernias

Living with hernias is challenging. I've started this thread so those of us who have them can comment here. I'm working hard on managing mine so as to avoid surgery, which sadly as a number of NT'rs and friends can attest to, often fail miserably.

ger715 09-04-2016 02:27 PM

Especially difficult are the Ventral (abdominal) incisional hernias. They are often due to the incision from previous abdominal surgery not healing properly, as well as straining; just among a few of the causes. Unfortunately; narcotic meds causing constipation also add to the worsening of these hernias. They can be particularly worrisome because of strangulation if not repaired. Unfortunately 15 - 20 % recurrence rate after repairs.

I am dealing with the aftermath of Abdominal incisional hernia repair surgery with mesh that took place in November, 2015. By Feb. 2016 I developed Diastasis Recti (separation of the abdominal muscle. This of course has now added to the fact of worsening due to straining; again from opioid constipation. I am taking up to 4 Miralax doses daily trying to keep a consistency that can pass with the least amount of straining hoping to keep the abdomen from worsening the widening/sagging due to the muscle separation.

I am sure there are some that have similar hernias as well as those in other areas. Pam is trying through managing hers in an attempt to avoid surgery.
Pray she is successful.

Gerry

PamelaJune 11-02-2016 08:15 AM

Not a good night

Another bowel obstruction, been doing everything for months now to manage to avoid these. This one has come out of the blue, none of the usual well known signs (for me anyhow) and yet here I am. Been vomiting off n on for the past hour, got the bucket & towell by the bed, flannel tucked neatly (haha) like a bib into my nightie and hair held back by clip, I must look a sight. Just taken 5mg Oxy and 5mg Valium (on top of my normal meds) in the hope I can avoid the trip to emergency. On the bright side I've cleaned the toot (toilet) top to bottom 3 or more times and I haven't considered cushions to kneel on. Not happy!! I should have known when I said on Monday I feel off colour, nothing familiar, just felt off. Hindsight is such a glorious thing, I even doubled my Movicol last night so subconsciously I must have suspected something. Fingers xd I stay with it at home tonight, the thought of the A&E palava, xrays and nasal gastric tube is enough to encourage me to stay put but if these pains get much worse I will have no choice :mad:
Edit; just taken another Valium, have probably lost the first one while being ill.

PamelaJune 11-02-2016 02:25 PM

Been admitted

Had to get an ambulance, unable to manage this one from home. Paramedics & Emergency staff have been brilliant. Just had xrays and about to have nasal gastric tube put in. Have been given Fentynal, Morphine & Buscopan for the pain, Ondancetron for the vomiting and something for the itch. They are considering moving me to another ward and give me ketamine. I definitely couldn't have managed this one from home. :eek:

bluesfan 11-03-2016 01:33 PM

Hang in there PamelaJune

Big hugs to get you through your ER and hospital trip. :hug: :hug: :hug:

If you haven't been discharged yet maybe you can get them to run your Endocrinology check up while you're there? Save queuing up later.

ger715 11-04-2016 10:35 PM

Oh Pam,
I am so sorry you are dealing with this again. Not sure how the obstruction occurs; but evidentially vomiting and pain must be the beginning of your obstructions.

I'm still taking 3 to 4 doses of Miralax and eating a special diet of fruits/vegies to help with the awful constant constipation because of my high dose of opioids. I have been dealing with pain under the breast down to pelvic area; but do manage to keep eliminating some thick liquid type BM's daily; just never empty enough. Had X-rays a few months ago for my hip pain. The diagnosis, among a few other things, showed an abundant of fecal matter. I worry about having to go to ER.

My first and only time I went to the ER because I was impacted was 4 years ago. I was admitted because the enemas and Movi Prep took so long to clean out. Once I cleaned out (after a couple of days) I was given a colonoscopy (my first); which was when the cancerous tumor was discovered at the top of the rectum. Major surgery the next day.

I hope you are hope and feeling much better.

Have you been given instructions/additonal meds/ recommendations attempting to eliminate these obstructions?? They seem so awful.

Love & Prayers,
Gerry

PamelaJune 11-06-2016 12:52 AM

Blood tests

I've had blood taken every day but couldn't get them to do endocrinology check. Well not that they would tell me. Had me on a drip ever since I've been in here and in addition to saline, dextrose they have from time to time administered magnesium bags, potassium bags, pain relief bags. Finally stopped vomiting this morning, had success the other end yesterday and they've put me on nourishing fluids for lunch, light diet for tea and if I can keep that down tonight might go home tomorrow.

So it's dense adhesions causing the obstructions, if it occurs again this year or early next year I have to attend this surgeon and have them divided and sparsed?

The good news is since starting the water plan and no processed foods I've lost 6kg, so no strain on the incisional hernias. Although I must say they felt the strain with this obstruction, my stomach looked like I had swallowed a balloon and all my hot air puffed it right out to extended basketball size. Seriously, I looked like I was due with twins!!

Supposed to have had my performance review last week and rescheduled because I took a colleague to hospital, now this week I'm in hospital. I hate reviews, had a bad experience years ago, never managed to overcome my dislike of them since. I've offered to do it by phone tomorrow as I would prefer to get it over and done with. Hope my boss is agreeable.

Diandra 11-06-2016 06:53 PM

hi Pam,
so sorry to hear you are in the hospital.
at least no surgery THIS time😊.
you will probably come home feeling better than you have in awhile.
nothing like giving your digestive system a rest.

Please think of your work assessment for what it is meant to be, constructive criticism
so you can be a better employee for the company. I am sure you will do fine.

xoxo
D.

ger715 11-07-2016 10:48 PM

Pam,
I hope you are home by now and doing much better. Having been diagnosed with dense adhesions as the cause for the painful obstructions, as well as a plan should another obstruction occur, may at least avoid any possible future bowel surgery.

You were very brave to offset a potential problem that could have been serious. This performance review might be more positive than negative. The concern may be more for your own safety. Hope your boss agreed to a phone review.

Looking forward to your update.

Gerry

PamelaJune 11-09-2016 03:56 AM

Home today

Good to come home, don't feel great but that's to be expected. Have to start Vitamin B12 monthly injections again. Being in hospital for a week sure does take it out of you, luckily I met some lovely ladies in the shared 4 bed ward I was on. We were all discharged the same day, after this week together we all felt as if we've known each other a lifetime. Hugs and kisses goodbye & tears all round as one we know will not survive past Xmas.