NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Chiropractor Adjustment and Nerve Pain Gone! (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/239659-chiropractor-adjustment-nerve-pain-gone.html)

swimtime 09-04-2016 04:53 PM

Chiropractor Adjustment and Nerve Pain Gone!

I posted this recently under "Success Stories" and decided to copy it to share it here too. I'm wondering how many other cases of undiagnosed nerve entrapment there are, that mimic or cause CRPS. How do they rule it out? Anyway...

I haven't been on here for a while and wanted to give a quick update.
My son was diagnosed with CRPS type 2 (caused by multiple fractures, surgery and nerve damage) nearly two years ago.

Although he's had slow improvements, he hasn't been able to do much weight bearing on the CRPS foot.

I took him to the chiropractor, as sort of a long shot, in that ever elusive search for relief. The chiropractor adjusted his foot, my son felt something loosen, and amazingly, the nerve pain just simply stopped. I can't explain it, except maybe it was a trapped nerve all along, although a previous ultrasound of his nerves showed no entrapment.

He's been able to start walking on it and keeping it down more and is making real progress in physical therapy. He feels like the chiropractor "fixed it" and the muscle pain is so much more tolerable without the nerve pain added to it.

**I should note that this was a chiropractor with 30+ years experience who was very skilled. As with any medical profession, the right doctor can make all the difference.

PurpleFoot721 09-04-2016 05:09 PM

Thank you swimtime! I am so happy for both you and your son.:yahoo: It just goes to show that you should never give up.

Now that it has been several months since his hardware has been removed, I hope that he is able to return to full movement and use again.

Please keep us posted on your son's progression toward his long deserved recovery.

swimtime 09-04-2016 07:57 PM

Thank you! He's pretty determined to make that happen. I'm so grateful for all the support here.

BioBased 09-04-2016 07:57 PM

Great outcome. Wonderful, fabulous news. Hooray!

CRPSbe 09-05-2016 05:19 AM

Unfortunately it's not as easy for us with "true" CRPS, and on top of that each case is different.

Wishing your son a quick recovery! :)

swimtime 09-05-2016 12:42 PM

Yes, each case is different. I would in no way suggest that this is what would work for everyone. I only wish it would! He has been extremely fortunate. Thanks for the well wishes!

CRPSbe 09-06-2016 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimtime (Post 1222876)
Yes, each case is different. I would in no way suggest that this is what would work for everyone. I only wish it would! He has been extremely fortunate. Thanks for the well wishes!

You're welcome. I hope he continues to do well. So young... I mean, it would be a darn shame if it were CRPS and he kept having issues!

Shay08 09-08-2016 11:42 AM

What a great success story! Has your son's diagnosis of CRPS been changed now? The question arises if the entrapment was the cause of all of the symptoms or did CRPS actually develop because of the pain from the entrapment or other injuries. Fortunately, he experienced relief and hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Stories like this should help us remember to never give up and to make sure that all possible causes and treatments have been investigated. I know you did say that he had tests to check for entrapment. You just never know. I will say that I winced when I read that he had an adjustment on that foot. Your son is very brave and I am so happy for him and for you!

Shay

swimtime 09-08-2016 07:32 PM

That's the question I have, too! He doesn't see the doctor again till November, but the diagnosis is definitely something I plan to ask him about! I had considered the chiropractor before, but thought it would be a waste since the ultrasound ruled out entrapment. Usually, entrapment is diagnosed with MRI, but he couldn't have that when the hardware was still in his ankle.

Thanks!