NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Antibiotics and neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/239676-antibiotics-neuropathy.html)

DavidHC 09-05-2016 11:24 AM

Antibiotics and neuropathy

I know we've discussed this on here before, and MrsD. has especially written about the topic, but I can't recall the specifics, and I'm wondering about Neomycin. I know it can cause all sorts of problems if injected, which is precisely why it's extremely rare, except for very small doses in some vaccines. But it's supposed to be minimally absorbed when taken orally. Any input would be appreciated.

mrsD 09-05-2016 11:56 AM

Here is the black box on neomycin:

Neomycin Sulfate (Neomycin Sulfate): Side Effects, Interactions, Warning, Dosage & Uses

Most antibiotics have basic actions against pathogens, which can overlap for the host's tissues as well. Affects on DNA causing damage and the cell walls of the organisms are the main actions.

This drug was only usually used prior to bowel surgery to reduce organisms, and I personally did not see that often and it would be only like one dose of 3 or 4 as preop. I would think that hospital in patient pharmacies would be seeing its use more often than the outpatient pharmacies.

Have you tried supplements that have caprylic acid in them?

DavidHC 09-05-2016 07:40 PM

Thanks, MrsD. I have read about the side effects. I suppose I was wondering if anyone knew of any cases of bad side effects, say neurotoxicity, occurring simply from oral use rather than intravenous, which I know can be extremely dangerous. But perhaps I'll just avoid it entirely. Recent research has shown that when Rifaximine is combined with Neomycin, it is far more effective in taking care of a bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. For example: A combination of rifaximin and neomycin is most effective in treating irritable bowel syndrome patients with methane on lactulose breath test. - PubMed - NCBI. That's why I was asking. I believe the recommended dosage is 1000 mg per day for 10 days. Anyway, perhaps I'll just steer clear of it, given the potential for issues even with oral use.

Actually, I've been meaning to introduce caprylic acid. It's well reported as an anti-fungal. I will eventually introduce it. It's a great suggestion I think.

Thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1222870)
Here is the black box on neomycin:

Neomycin Sulfate (Neomycin Sulfate): Side Effects, Interactions, Warning, Dosage & Uses

Most antibiotics have basic actions against pathogens, which can overlap for the host's tissues as well. Affects on DNA causing damage and the cell walls of the organisms are the main actions.

This drug was only usually used prior to bowel surgery to reduce organisms, and I personally did not see that often and it would be only like one dose of 3 or 4 as preop. I would think that hospital in patient pharmacies would be seeing its use more often than the outpatient pharmacies.

Have you tried supplements that have caprylic acid in them?