NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Wondering....med change.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/239934-wondering-med-change.html)

bizi 09-12-2016 10:27 PM

Wondering....med change....

I wonder if I could just take lithium instead of lamictal and geodon?
any thoughts?
bizi

kiwi33 09-12-2016 11:48 PM

Bizi, an on-line friend of mine has found that lithium (only) is very effective in managing her Bipolar.

If you decide to try it then I think that you need to know that its therapeutic range is quite narrow - what that means is that too little will not help but too much can have adverse effects.

What that means is that, if you do decide to try it, your health care team will probably want to monitor you closely for a while.

The information here might help you with this; Safe and effective use of lithium | Issue 1 | Volume 36 | Australian Prescriber.

:hug:

Mari 09-13-2016 01:52 AM

Good idea. It has worked for you in the past.

bizi 09-13-2016 06:17 AM

In 1994 when I was first diagnosed, I was put on lithium. I did not like it. Don't remember why.
Maybe I did not want to effect my thyroid, or get the tremors..
These are still concerns of mine. Some one in my family has shakes so bad that she doesn't want to eat in public. Now I don't know that was from lithium or not, maybe an antipsychotic that she is taking???
I sent her a question regarding that very issue.
I think I am talking myself right out of trying....
bizi

Dmom3005 09-13-2016 09:48 AM

Bizi

I don't know with bi-polar but I know that when you have epilepsy and take
lamictal that they change you to zonegran many times. Reason being it
works the same, but has lots less side effects.

Derrick had taken lamictal for many years, but we knew it wasn't working as
well as it should. He was changed to zonegran and it worked better for him.
When it comes to side effects he never really told me those. So I don't know

Donna :hug::grouphug:

bizi 09-13-2016 10:39 AM

Thanks donna, I will look into that.
bizi

I just looked it up. You can not take it if you are allergic to sulfa drugs, which I am.
rats.
bizi

Mari 09-13-2016 03:12 PM

Bizi,

Let the pdoc do the work of recommending a new medication for you.

M

bizi 09-13-2016 06:18 PM

already been there she doesn't know what to do.
bizi

OhKay 09-14-2016 06:13 AM

You really need to change pdocs. And when you do, you need to let him or her come up with a med plan as Mari suggested.

Researching drugs and asking for input on the forum is a good thing, but I wouldn't get my heart set on a particular drug, or rule anything out (unless prior history dictates it) until you talk to a pdoc.

There should be a discussion about any med changes. The pdoc should provide relevant information, answer all your questions, and respect your input. I don't see your current pdoc doing that :hug::hug::hug:

bizi 09-14-2016 06:56 AM

Thanks kay,
I think she is tired of me and my drinking. (I am tired of my drinking)
She does not want to prescribe for me due to the fact that fact, she has basically said this. So there is the threat that I may lose her. Which frightens me.
Have not heard too much about abilify....Have you?
I wonder if it is weight neutral?
bizi