NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   medical marijuana to help heal concussion (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/240010-medical-marijuana-help-heal-concussion.html)

yvonnedono 09-14-2016 09:14 PM

medical marijuana to help heal concussion

I was reading an article about a teenager with a concussion and how he healed his brain. His mom didn't want him on anti-depressants and narcotic pain killers so she brought him to a state with medical marijuana and he had great results. I've asked two neurologists and they both felt they needed more evidence. Apparently a compound in marijuana called CBD (Cannabidiol) has been shown to have neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory properties in people with head injuries. Some say it heals the brain.

Has anyone had experience with this? Does anyone know of a doctor who specializes in treating concussions with medical marijuana? I live in Ohio. Am willing to travel.

I am a newbie to this forum so I am not able to post links, **

Kate89 09-14-2016 10:32 PM

Yes! I have been using Cannabidiol (CBD) oil for about a year and it's been very helpful. CBD oil has very little THC in it, so you don't have the psychological effects or get "stoned". I actually take it in the morning before going to work. You can also get strains of marijuana that are high in cannabinoids and low in THC that you can smoke, but I find the oil much easier/cleaner.

I live in CA where medical marijuana is legal, so it was easy to get my medical marijuana license and pick up CBD oil from a dispensary. I'm not sure what the laws are around CBD oil in Ohio, or if it's okay to get from a state where it is legal and transport back, but it's worth looking into!

Mark in Idaho 09-14-2016 11:05 PM

yvonnedono,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

CBD oil (canabidiol) shows promise for brain issues. It's neuroprotective values are only seen in lab rats so far. No testing on humans has been done yet. The neuroprotective value is when it is in the blood before the injury. It has anecdotal benefit after an head injury but there is no specific understanding. It is more of a try it and see it if helps situation right now.

Many of us would like to try it but it is only available in some states. The THC in marijuana is not helpful except at very low levels.

I see you have posted about your other symptoms/struggles in a few other posts . It helps if people try to keep their issues in a single thread so we can see them all in context.

Please feel free to start your own thread so we can help you with all of your concerns. Use the New Thread button at the upper left of the index page.

My best to you.

Mark in Idaho 09-14-2016 11:19 PM

I just saw Kate's post. There are plenty of online sources for CBD oil and many even claim it is legal in every state. But, only medical marijuana states allow it. Ordering it and receiving/importing it across state lines is a federal crime.

Some sellers claim they are selling hemp based CBD oil but that has two problems. Hemp is not fully legal yet. The feds have allowed limited access to and production of hemp. Most hemp oil comes from China and other off-shore areas that have lax pesticide and herbicide laws. This leads to high levels of these chemicals in many hemp based CBD oils.

If you find a way to access it, you want CBD or cannabidiol, not cannabinoids. Cannabinoids refers to all of the 60 to 70 different compounds in marijuana. CBD and THC are both cannabinoids.

Kate, If you see this, how do you take your CBD ? How much do you take each day ? What improvements do you see ?

yvonnedono 09-15-2016 08:49 AM

Kate and Mark - thank you for your replies. Good Info. Ohio just passed legal marijuana laws, but it is in its infancy and there are no resources. Michigan would be the closest state to me so I'm trying to find a medical marijuana doctor there to at least consult with.

davOD 09-15-2016 09:27 AM

I have held my MM card for a year and a half..

Im having good success fighting headaches and pain...off 2 prescription meds..

But.....I feel the whole thing is based more on trial and error....I find it hard, then if you find something that works, good luck finding it 6 months later....Very, Very frustrating for me......

I would be very careful with a new injury IMHO?
I started 9 years after accident....

But I can guaranty the power of CBD!..It is impressive, but to make it for powerful it helps to mix in a touch of THC blend.

For me this works, many signs of my PTSD are gone, nightmares gone, and going from 1 to 3 hours of sleep to 6 to 8 now....

It has changed my life, but I dont think it would be for everyone...but thats my opinion.

Good luck

yvonnedono 09-15-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate89 (Post 1223829)
Yes! I have been using Cannabidiol (CBD) oil for about a year and it's been very helpful. CBD oil has very little THC in it, so you don't have the psychological effects or get "stoned". I actually take it in the morning before going to work. You can also get strains of marijuana that are high in cannabinoids and low in THC that you can smoke, but I find the oil much easier/cleaner.

!

Thanks Kate - do you mind my asking which symptoms is helped with?

Kate89 09-16-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvonnedono (Post 1223918)
Thanks Kate - do you mind my asking which symptoms is helped with?

My main symptoms are vision related (light sensitivity, convergence issues) and CBD oil has been helpful with that.

I'd say that CBD oil improved by symptoms by about ~20%. Not a total game changer, but a meaningful improvement for sure.

I use a "sublingual spray" by a company called Care By Design. It has a ratio of 18:1 of CBD to THC. I do 1-2 sprays in the morning and at night. Here's their website: High CBD Products | Care By Design

Hope that's helpful! Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

clandestine 09-22-2016 11:43 AM

I use CBD almost everyday. It has helped with anxiety, mostly. I would echo the poster above who said ~20% improvement.

Over time, I would say it's helped me get less headaches as well.

RidingRollerCoaster 09-23-2016 08:58 AM

Those of you taking CBD oil-

Can you give your daily dosages in mg please? I have been trying it but am not sure what dosage I should be taking.

Thanks