NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Fatigue...any tips (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/240155-fatigue-tips.html)

bddouglas 09-19-2016 10:41 PM

Fatigue...any tips

Fatigue has got to be the worst! I can deal with the pain, spasms, cramping, migraines, eye pain, vision disturbances, memory issues, y'all know what I mean...But, this fatigue that never seems to go away, I just don't know. I sent an email to my neuro today asking him if he thought 5 hour energy shots or Monster energy drinks would help. Regular drinks with caffeine don't seem to help and I have so much to do this week. Fatigue will wash over me like a crashing wave on the shore 2 or 3 times a day and I have to stop and sleep right then or I will collapse.
He will reply tomorrow or Wednesday, he has interns on rounds on Mondays. He has concerns about herbal ingredients because I am on high doses of Topamax and Cymbalta and now we are adding Plegridy. Any other ideas or tips anyone?

nemsmom 09-19-2016 11:43 PM

Can't say that I have any tips, sorry.

Have you tried medications for the fatigue?

I remember sleeping 16 hours a day when the fatigue was bad, just wish I had figured out some tricks.

Hope somebody else will have some ideas for you!

Snoopy 09-20-2016 10:21 AM

Hi bddouglas,

There are medications that can be tried for fatigue those include:

- Provigil
- Nuvigil
- Attention Deficit Disorder(ADD) medications (Ritalin, Adderall, ect) also known as stimulants.
- Amantadine - an anti-viral that is older but helps some with fatigue but not usually prescribed much anymore.

Non-medication options:

- What you are doing, sleep when the fatigue hits.
- Exercise ;) I know that seems like an oxymoron when you think about fatigue. However, exercise can improve fatigue as well as other symptoms of MS (pain, spasticity).

I do hope you find something that helps your fatigue, fatigue does suck big goose eggs. :hug:

NurseNancy 09-20-2016 03:06 PM

yes, what snoop said.
i'm not familiar with the meds you're on but your dr will be able to suggest something.

i would stay away from those energy drinks. they can be really dangerous and i don't know how they might interact with what you're on.

i know you said coffee didn't help. that's too bad. i can drink a cup in the am and it's good for about 4 hrs. can't drink it after 1200 or i can't sleep.

keep us posted. i'm interested to know what your dr tells you.

NurseNancy 09-20-2016 03:07 PM

oh, thought of something else. if it's at all possible schedule 1 or 2 naps during the day. sometimes i just have to give in and then i feel better the rest of the day.

tkrik 09-20-2016 05:15 PM

Crushing fatigue is awful! Most of us experience it whether it's only during a flare or all the time.

Both Snoopy and NurseNancy gave some great advice. I would add in maybe taking some vitamin B12 or a B complex to see if that helps. Check with your doctor first as he/she may want to run a blood test for you B's first to see what your levels are.

I hope you start feeling more awake and rested soon.:hug:

Sparky10 09-21-2016 08:21 AM

Sorry you're getting this, bddouglas. I've always disliked the sleepy feeling, long before MS entered my life. Got into the "speed" drugs because of that. After diagnosis I started with Amantadine. Two years later, after getting on Medicare and being able to afford it, I went to Provigil (200-400 mgs a day) and stayed with that for many years. Then I started wanting to cut out a few meds, go with supplements. Anyway, here's what I have found that works for me.

Two oil of oregano gelcaps every morning. No afternoon sleepies for me. It's a cheap experiment, too. You can buy it in any pharmacy, and if it's going to help you'll know within a few days.

Hope you find something to help!