NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   $ of Medicare (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/240324-medicare.html)

canifindagooddr 09-23-2016 08:32 PM

$ of Medicare

I am a 52 year old male. I live in KS. This March will be my two year anniversary of being on SSDI (for sfn).

I went to a place that helps people understand Medicare. She told me it would cost between $300 to $500 PER MONTH.

Currently, via the marketplace -- I pay 50 bucks per month. BCBS. FREE MEDS, FREE appointments. It is awesome. So, I'm in shock regarding the Medicare costs.

What is your monthly premium? How much do your meds cost? I take six different meds a day so it is important that I find a plan that can handle my med load in an economical fashion.

So, once I get forced into Medicare -- then I can't use the Marketplace? I would like to retain my current BCBS policy if possible.

Those of you that know about Medicare, can you please advise if her figures are accurate? I make just a little too much money to qualify for EXTRA HELP. My IRA makes Extra Help impossible.

Those of you currently on Medicare, what are your thoughts about it? How much do you pay per month? Do you think you are getting good value for the money that you have to spend regarding your healthcare needs. Thanks.

davOD 09-24-2016 11:16 AM

Sure sound like that place you went was full of lies? That sure dont sound helpful?...Sounds more like a scare tactic?

I dont remember the exact amount...I think Medicare takes $104 out a month?...and thats for 80%, so having a secondary is very helpful, depending how much that is out of pocket.....I get lucky my union gives me free insurance to cover the other 20%....But they give me , eye, and dental which Medicare does nothing of....

mrsD 09-24-2016 12:57 PM

If I recall .... my medicare is about $104/month.

This does not include part D (drugs).
(we have secondary insurance that pays for both of us including drugs from my husband's pension, however). We have yet to pay any doctor's bills, or the recent ER visit my husband made, because with both insurances everything is covered ..within reason).

I recall that if I didn't file for it within X number of days...I can't recall exactly how many days...the amount goes up.

Things may be different if you are SSDI, and younger than retirement age.

I'd go to the website and check yourself.

davOD 09-24-2016 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1224712)

I am SSDI got it at age 44 now Im 53....If that helps a little.

echoes long ago 09-25-2016 11:15 AM

the cost of medicare now is tied to your income. above a certain amount and you pay more than the $104.

mrsD 09-25-2016 11:52 AM

85,000 is the cut off for higher part B deductions.

Part B is what we are talking about here. Part A is free for most
retirees.

Part A for others is 411 dollars a month...as this link explains:
Part A costs | Medicare.gov

So conceivably for some, to get Part A and B could be 500 dollars a month depending on your particular circumstances.

I became eligible for Part A (no fee) when I turned 62... and I enrolled at that time. I became eligible for Part B when I turned 66 and enrolled in that for $104 a month.

davOD 09-25-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1224759)
the cost of medicare now is tied to your income. above a certain amount and you pay more than the $104.

For individuals its over $85K couples $170K...

And for couples making over $170k its $268 dollars a month....

Thanks for the heads up I got the info here... https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10536.pdf

canifindagooddr 09-25-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1224707)
Sure sound like that place you went was full of lies? That sure dont sound helpful?...Sounds more like a scare tactic?

**** I don't know what her motives were. Volunteer group recommended by the gov't. But if it was a 'scare tactic' - IT WORKED!

I dont remember the exact amount...I think Medicare takes $104 out a month?...and thats for 80%, so having a secondary is very helpful, depending how much that is out of pocket.....I get lucky my union gives me free insurance to cover the other 20%....But they give me , eye, and dental which Medicare does nothing of....

**** Apparently things have gone up just a bit. I think she said $124 will be taken out of my SSDI check when they auto enroll me.

^^^^ The frustrating thing is that just pays for parts A and B. What I need is a good Plan D. Drugs. I take six different one per day. So, is it as simple as just shopping for the best drug plan? Make sure they cover all my drugs and at the lowest cost. She took me to a pretty slick website. We entered my meds and dosages -- and the search engine found Pharms near me and what the cost would be. Thank you.

canifindagooddr 09-25-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1224712)

This does not include part D (drugs).
(we have secondary insurance that pays for both of us including drugs from my husband's pension, however). We have yet to pay any doctor's bills, or the recent ER visit my husband made, because with both insurances everything is covered ..within reason).

I recall that if I didn't file for it within X number of days...I can't recall exactly how many days...the amount goes up.

I'm just a bit overwhelmed by all the choices and options. Which website? They have about a dozen of them. Is there something wrong with someone trying 'not to reinvent the wheel'? I figure a few on you this board have already 'been there/done that' and could therefore lessen my learning curve. I'm not asking anybody to do my 'homework' for me. But I'm probably doing the usual thing a neurotic person does -- worrying about nothing.

So, I already got A and B (at least come March 2017). The $124 deducted from my SSDI check. Would it be reasonable to think that I can find a good plan D for around $125?

I wish I did not have to give up the policy I got when I was in the marketplace. Premiums were 40 bucks per month. 500 bucks out of pocket -- after that EVERYTHING was FREE. ZERO. So, I have to let that expire to pay for something that cost ten times more?! And doesn't have near the coverage/benefits. I wish I would have been given a choice about it! I guess this is a good way for them to get some of their money back. Ghez! Thanks Uncle Sam!

canifindagooddr 09-25-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1224743)
I am SSDI got it at age 44 now Im 53....If that helps a little.

Do you take prescription meds?

If so, how do you pay for them?

Just plain old Medicare - Part a and b -- do not cover meds. One has to shop from like over a hundred companies to see which ones carry your meds and then compare them with the other companies that also carry your meds.

Thanks.

Jomar 09-25-2016 07:36 PM

Our medications forum has some info in the sticky thread, I just added a few more links-
http://www.neurotalk.org/medications...ml#post1224792

canifindagooddr 09-25-2016 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1224763)
85,000 is the cut off for higher part B deductions.

Part B is what we are talking about here. Part A is free for most
retirees.

Part A for others is 411 dollars a month...as this link explains:
Part A costs | Medicare.gov

So conceivably for some, to get Part A and B could be 500 dollars a month depending on your particular circumstances.

I became eligible for Part A (no fee) when I turned 62... and I enrolled at that time. I became eligible for Part B when I turned 66 and enrolled in that for $104 a month.

I am talking about PART D. I know what my premiums for part A and B are for me. 120 bucks. From the little bit of studying I have done, my list of six meds will get knocked down to about 2 meds. And, I have no idea what the Part D deductibles and premiums will be. Time for me to be both studying the subject but also looking for a cozy bridge to live under and a dumpster near by for snacks.

What the gov't gave with the left hand by way of SSDI benefits, it now swiftly takes away in one move . . .

davOD 09-26-2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canifindagooddr (Post 1224797)
I am talking about PART D. I know what my premiums for part A and B are for me. 120 bucks. From the little bit of studying I have done, my list of six meds will get knocked down to about 2 meds. And, I have no idea what the Part D deductibles and premiums will be. Time for me to be both studying the subject but also looking for a cozy bridge to live under and a dumpster near by for snacks.

What the gov't gave with the left hand by way of SSDI benefits, it now swiftly takes away in one move . . .

Not sure what is around you.....In a month people will have to make choices, go to your local big box pharmacy....Tell them the meds you take and they can make a suggestion as what plan (part D)for meds covers you best...I know for sure Walgreen's does this for free as a service..

canifindagooddr 09-27-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1224840)
Not sure what is around you.....In a month people will have to make choices, go to your local big box pharmacy....Tell them the meds you take and they can make a suggestion as what plan (part D)for meds covers you best...I know for sure Walgreen's does this for free as a service..

Thanks for the suggestion. I will seat-down sometime soon with Walgreen's.

razzle51 10-02-2016 02:58 PM

Mine is $104.00 t00

Mz Migraine 10-05-2016 11:26 AM

@canifindagooddr

Check w/your local social service dept. Most states if not all have "discount" RX programs for the disabled & seniors.
Most of the big box pharmacies have the same - CVS, Walgreens, etc.

Check w/your rx manufacturers. Most if not all have FREE and or discounted programs. Check the stickies at the top of this site for the list and for other rx resources.

HTH :hug:

LIT LOVE 10-12-2016 10:51 PM

No, after you qualify for Medicare you will no longer be eligible for an exchange plan. It's a shock to many.

Part A will be free.
Part B will be $124.

Your next decision needs to be if you want an Advantage Plan or a Supplement. Advantage Plans often cover your drugs, so you won't need to purchase Part D coverage. Some plans are free, some will cost a few hundred dollars. They are often HMO plans, with choices like Kaiser. Each state has different options. You can meet with a SHIP counselor in your state and they will advise you for free. Some people are very happy with their Advantage plans and some people are not...

A Supplement will give you much more flexibility and will cover your 20% deductibles. You'll still need to choose a Part D Drug Plan. By entering the drugs you use on the Medicare site, it'll give you prices for Advantage Plans and Part D plans and drug costs. You should call and confirm this info with any company you're considering, because they sometimes really won't pay for drugs when the Medicare website says they will.

If you don't choose a Supplement while you're eligible you're unlikely to find a plan that will accept you until you reach retirement age. There is more flexibility in switching to an Advantage plan later. You must check your Part D plans and drug copays every year if you have multiple Rx's because prices change significantly. If you choose an Advantage Plan, you should run those numbers as well.

My costs:

Part B: $104
Part D: $25
Supplement: $320
Drug co-pays: $120

I don't qualify for extra help and have an excellent Supplement. Supplement Plans use the alphabet from A-N. G and H are often exceptional and will have no deductible, and therefore will generally be the most expensive--sometimes lesser coverage costs more, so be careful. A SHIP counselor will probably be able to give you quotes and the best rated companies. My plan is through Mutual of Omaha. AARP uses United Healthcare, but in some states there are age restrictions.

So, IMO, the info you received was likely based on you paying for Part B, Part D, a Supplement, and drug copays. And yes, it will be substantially more expensive than what you have been. If it's any consolation, those prices were likely artificially low and won't continue...

canifindagooddr 11-19-2016 05:09 PM

I'm sorry, I have been down and out lately.

I re-read the thread but I am still not clear on this: Does one (like me - 52 year old) absolutely has NO CHOICE to stay in the Marketplace for healthcare insurance once it is the two year anniversary of the beginning of my SSDI benefits?

My limited understanding is that I have no choice. That once my two year anniversary hits -- then I will automatically, without any action or choice on my part -- be put on HIGH PRICED, crappy insurance -- Medicare A/B. My SSDI benefits will automatically be garnished like 150 bucks to pay for A/B. And, on top of that, I will still need to find and pay for a plan D?

It makes no sense. I am with a private insurer (BCBS) via the marketplace. I pay a $500 deductible, after that EVERYTHING IS FREE. I was on it last year. I signed up again for the same plan for next year. More competition, driving the prices down . . . that is the beauty of a truly 'free market'.

If the gov't FORCES me to buy their insurance (Medicare) so much for the benefits of a 'free market'. I will in Aug 2017 suffer the ill effects of a MONOPOLY.

I found out via the SSA that my 2 year anniversary is in Aug 2017. Why would the gov't force me to take crappy insurance (Medicare) that is about 500% more expensive than my current plan? Is it just a money making scheme for the gov't?

So much for a 'free market'. I just don't understand the philosophy of this whole thing other than it is an awesome and easy way for the gov't to make a ton of money. I thought monopolies were illegal?! I guess that doesn't apply to the folks that make all the rules.

Have any of you already fell victim to this two year anniversary racket? Is there no way around/out of it?

Thanks.

davOD 11-20-2016 09:58 AM

Please there is nothing "crappy" about Medicare!
I will bet it is FAR better insurance that what you have now.....
The rules are what they are and have been for decades...

Maybe a call to SS or Medicare can clear up your misconceptions and get some good hard answers?

There are usually groups at a local senior center that can help explain or even help you through this process....please check

And remember a health plan is not the same as a drug plan.....You have some option and not being forced for all coverage...

I use a supplemental insurance for the other 20% of Medicare, and for eye and dental....

I am lucky as my union covers just about all my meds and very little out of pocket.

If the government was making money off Medicare, we wouldnt be having problems funding SS and Medicare...You may want to start reading up on it and keep away from the misinformation on TV?
(There is no such thing as a free market, that term was invented)

canifindagooddr 11-20-2016 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1229241)
Please there is nothing "crappy" about Medicare!

^^^ I am sorry to all on the forum for my poor choice of words to describe Medicare. Thank you davOD for bringing it back to my attention.

I will bet it is FAR better insurance that what you have now.....

^^^ I think that will prove to be impossible. Currently I have BCBS via the marketplace. My premium is 34 bucks a month. I had a $500 deductible. It was met the first month of my having this insurance plan. Every office visit, lab work and all of the seven different meds I take each day -- cost of all these services to me -- ZERO!

^^^ Now davOD, do you really think that Medicare can compete/compare to how good of a plan I currently have?

The rules are what they are and have been for decades...

^^^ Understood. Thank you for the reminder. Seriously. I am not being sarcastic.

Maybe a call to SS or Medicare can clear up your misconceptions and get some good hard answers?

^^^ Excellent point. I did a lot of 'internet research' last night. It helped. The learning will continue.

There are usually groups at a local senior center that can help explain or even help you through this process....please check

^^^ Will do. Thank you. Please I will visit Walgreens. First, I will familiarize myself with the gov site. Enter my meds -- see what plans come up. Learn, lean. Which is fine and good.

And remember a health plan is not the same as a drug plan.....You have some option and not being forced for all coverage...

^^^ As noted above, I take 7 different meds every day so I most definitely need a plan (several plans?) to help with my meds.

I use a supplemental insurance for the other 20% of Medicare, and for eye and dental....

^^^ OK. Thanks.

I am lucky as my union covers just about all my meds and very little out of pocket.

*** I used to be lucky with all the benefits that my current plan supplies.

If the government was making money off Medicare, we wouldnt be having problems funding SS and Medicare...You may want to start reading up on it and keep away from the misinformation on TV?
(There is no such thing as a free market, that term was invented)

^^^ OK. And, I don't watch TV. Thank you for your assistance and the kind tone regarding the way you replied. Much appreciated. Thank you. Dean

davOD 11-21-2016 09:20 AM

Yes I completely think Medicare is better than what you have....You are not comparing the same thing is what it sounds like...

I will assume (which I shouldn't) is that you have an employer based insurance plan?
If that is the case the employer is supplementing your great benefits.

I do not know a single person paying $30 a month for any insurance unless its employer subsidized....

No copay's with Medicare.....Its 80-20....plain and simple.

Insurance company's are out to make money off you for profit, Medicare is a very low overhead form of insurance when you qualify.

There is alot to learn, and we may be getting even more cuts to SS and Medicare if Paul Ryan gets his way? (vouchers)Who knows?

canifindagooddr 11-21-2016 11:22 AM

I will assume (which I shouldn't) is that you have an employer based insurance plan?

*** I do not have an employer based insurance plan. This is my second year of not teaching school since I had to stop work due to disability. I obtained no Cobra. I finished what I could with the school year and since then, I have been getting insurance from BCBS via the marketplace.gov

If that is the case the employer is supplementing your great benefits.

*** See above. No employer for what will be three years come Aug 2017.

I do not know a single person paying $30 a month for any insurance unless its employer subsidized....

*** I made my first premium payment for the new plan which is to take place Jan 1, 2017 (see below a copy/paste just now from my bank). Same plan and cost I had last year via the marketplace. Meet $500 deductible then everything else cost ZERO.

Debit Credit Balance
11/21/2016 DC-BCBSKS EXCHANGE L (31.82)

No copay's with Medicare.....Its 80-20....plain and simple.

^^^ I pay a 500 deductible then it is ZERO on everything. . . plain and simpler!

Thank you for helping. Dean

Insurance company's are out to make money off you for profit, Medicare is a very low overhead form of insurance when you qualify.

There is alot to learn, and we may be getting even more cuts to SS and Medicare if Paul Ryan gets his way? (vouchers)Who knows?[/QUOTE]

razzle51 11-25-2016 07:47 AM

what is Marketplace? Is it a website ?

davOD 11-25-2016 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razzle51 (Post 1229599)

He is being subsidized from the ACA....(obama care)

canifindagooddr 11-25-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razzle51 (Post 1229599)

Get 217 health coverage. Health Insurance Marketplace | HealthCare.gov

O-BOMB-A healthcare plan/system

fill out an online app, decide how much of a tax credit you want to use toward your monthly premium (assuming you get one -tax credit, that is), pick one of the many plans that will show up after you have completed the app. Different bennies, different costs, different healthcare carriers. With the help of a Navigator (free to you the consumer, Navs help people fill out the online app and choose a plan - they are paid by the gov't and therefore have no biasesness toward the plan that you ultimately pick) I was done in 30 minutes.

I picked BC/BS again. I already paid my first month's premium (online) for the year of 2017. It was a whooping (sic) 34 bucks. I'm sure going to miss it when I am paying at least 200 a month for the Medicare insurance they (gov't) will force me to take.