NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   morphine to treat SFN? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/240365-morphine-treat-sfn.html)

Cliffman 09-25-2016 04:52 PM

morphine to treat SFN?

Hi Everyone,

It's been a more than a few months since I last posted here. I apologize to those of you that know me and have been in touch via PM. My SFN has progressed so rapidly (12 mos) and has been so painful (full body) that I have not had the will to post, it's basically come down to surviving one day at a time.

The good news is despite overwhelming full body pain I have returned to my job full-time as a work from Home tech. I'm presently coping on 2400 mg of Gabapentin per day and recently my neurologist wants to start me on 15mg of slow release morphine twice a day. Have any of you had any success with morphine to control pain? I'm of course concerned about starting this treatment for the several reasons, such as depressed breathing, constipation, grogginess, etc.

Wishing you all the best,

Cliffman :)

janieg 09-25-2016 10:41 PM

I'm so sorry to hear you're doing worse, Cliffman. I have no experience with morphine, but just want to wish you some relief.

:hug:

St George 2013 09-25-2016 10:44 PM

Hey Cliffman

What I forgot to mention in my PM back to you was I also have sleep apnea but use a CPAP not a BI. Mine was dx'd as severely moderate (I know...weird but he said it twice for me).

I took my first 15 mg ER Morphine during the day when I knew someone would be around just in case it affected my breathing but I didn't have any issues with labored breathing nor constipation.

Keep us posted :)

Debi from Georgia

Cliffman 09-26-2016 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1224802)
I'm so sorry to hear you're doing worse, Cliffman. I have no experience with morphine, but just want to wish you some relief.

:hug:

Thank you Janieg! It's great to be among those that understand & care. :):):)

Cliffman 09-26-2016 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by St George 2013 (Post 1224803)
What I forgot to mention in my PM back to you was I also have sleep apnea but use a CPAP not a BI. Mine was dx'd as severely moderate (I know...weird but he said it twice for me).

I took my first 15 mg ER Morphine during the day when I knew someone would be around just in case it affected my breathing but I didn't have any issues with labored breathing nor constipation.

Keep us posted :)

Debi from Georgia

Hi Debi,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am scared to death of taking the Morphine pills because I have severe sleep apnea as well.

I'm so happy to hear you didn't have any of the common side effects associated with typically associated with this medicine.

So nice to hear from you again..........

Cliffman :hug:

echoes long ago 09-26-2016 11:40 AM

i also am sorry to hear that you are not feeling better.

i think to be sure i would get at least another opinion on the use of morphine in those with sleep apnea. the fact that morphine depresses respiration would concern me with sleep apnea.

Cliffman 09-26-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1224858)
i also am sorry to hear that you are not feeling better.

i think to be sure i would get at least another opinion on the use of morphine in those with sleep apnea. the fact that morphine depresses respiration would concern me with sleep apnea.

I fully concur.....thank you!

Mamadebski 09-28-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffman (Post 1224780)
Hi Everyone,

It's been a more than a few months since I last posted here. I apologize to those of you that know me and have been in touch via PM. My SFN has progressed so rapidly (12 mos) and has been so painful (full body) that I have not had the will to post, it's basically come down to surviving one day at a time.

The good news is despite overwhelming full body pain I have returned to my job full-time as a work from Home tech. I'm presently coping on 2400 mg of Gabapentin per day and recently my neurologist wants to start me on 15mg of slow release morphine twice a day. Have any of you had any success with morphine to control pain? I'm of course concerned about starting this treatment for the several reasons, such as depressed breathing, constipation, grogginess, etc.

Wishing you all the best,

Cliffman :)

I have been taking Morphine Sulphate 15mg ER for over 3 years now. It has literally been the only thing that I have been able to tolerate for pain, and the one thing that has allowed me to function. I have intentionally worked to stay at the lowest dose possible because of the constipating side effects and my wish to not be overly addicted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAT52 09-28-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamadebski (Post 1225029)
I have been taking Morphine Sulphate 15mg ER for over 3 years now. It has literally been the only thing that I have been able to tolerate for pain, and the one thing that has allowed me to function. I have intentionally worked to stay at the lowest dose possible because of the constipating side effects and my wish to not be overly addicted...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was given Mophine several times last year for pain. In injection form I was given it for pancreatitis and it helped me relax. But in oral form it made absolutely no difference to my SFN whatsoever. In fact I was given it following gallbladder surgery - but was in such pain with my SFN that I barely noticed the pain of the cholecysyectomy site so perhaps it did the job it was intended for at least?

The only drugs that have ever helped relieve my SFN pain in the past have been Amitriptyline, Naproxen and Prednisolone. I was unable to tolerate the first two after three or four years, and steroids are always going to be a mixed blessing.

Cliffman 10-07-2016 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAT52 (Post 1225071)
I was given Mophine several times last year for pain. In injection form I was given it for pancreatitis and it helped me relax. But in oral form it made absolutely no difference to my SFN whatsoever. In fact I was given it following gallbladder surgery - but was in such pain with my SFN that I barely noticed the pain of the cholecysyectomy site so perhaps it did the job it was intended for at least?

The only drugs that have ever helped relieve my SFN pain in the past have been Amitriptyline, Naproxen and Prednisolone. I was unable to tolerate the first two after three or four years, and steroids are always going to be a mixed blessing.

I'm truly sorry to hear the morphine didn't help with the SFN, have you found any type of effective treatment for your pain?

Cliffman :hug: