NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Evoked Potentials (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/240702-evoked-potentials.html)

chasann 10-05-2016 03:33 PM

Evoked Potentials

Has anyone had a reaction after Evoked Potential Testing? Immediately after I reacted, neurophysiologist saying it was because I got off the table too quickly but I didn't think I had, who am I to argue.

Flew back home and have been tired out ever since having a major melt down few days later. Working in garden and without warning signals incredible pressure in head, nausea, eyes and ears ultra sensitive, coursing as I call it outer parts of right side etc and head pain rising to levels of accident two plus years ago, this all coming within a few minutes. GP gave me strong painkillers and anti nausea tablets.

As I have not been on top of my games since Evoked Potentials could this have contributed to it? or a red herring.

Has the Evoked Potential Testing actually been of any use to anyone? According to one of my therapists the equipment used will only detect a major nerve issue anyway not the sensitive nuances so often accompanying brain injury but one does what the Insurance companies demand of you.

Mark in Idaho 10-05-2016 08:16 PM

I've had Visual and Auditory Evoked Potential testing done three times. It is a benign test that just watches how your brain responds to stimuli. I did all of mine while sitting in a chair and watching a computer screen.

Mine were done as part of a comprehensive qEEG. It showed that my brain struggles to process and filter visual and auditory stimuli. It did not change treatment but did confirm the struggles I have.

I had no reaction except a bit of fatigue.

cerebellarmaniac 10-12-2016 07:38 PM

I've had VEMPs, Calorics and just about everything. None of them should harm you if they are properly administered.

The one test I hate is one that is given by an optometrist for a standard eye exam. It involves shooting a small puff of air at the eye. I blink every time.:mad:

Mark in Idaho 10-13-2016 01:37 AM

That puff of air at the eye has nothing to do with brain injuries. It is to test intraocular pressure for glaucoma. Some optos use an anesthetic and a device that touches the eye to measure pressure.

VEMPS and Caloric tests are for inner ear/vestibular issues, not sensory processing like a VEP or AEP.

VEP and AEP testing can be stressful because of the processing load it causes. But, that stress should resolve in a day.

cerebellarmaniac 10-13-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1226301)
That puff of air at the eye has nothing to do with brain injuries. It is to test intraocular pressure for glaucoma. Some optos use an anesthetic and a device that touches the eye to measure pressure.

VEMPS and Caloric tests are for inner ear/vestibular issues, not sensory processing like a VEP or AEP.

VEP and AEP testing can be stressful because of the processing load it causes. But, that stress should resolve in a day.

Sorry for the confusion. The "air puff" was intended to be a joke. I wasn't aware of the VEP. Sounds stressful.