NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Weaning off pain meds (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/240829-weaning-pain-meds.html)

pinkynose 10-10-2016 09:58 AM

Weaning off pain meds

I had back surgery 2 months ago and I was prescribed Oxycodone/Acetaminophen 10-325MG TB 1-2 tablets every 6 hours as needed.

The 1st 2 days I took 1 pill 3 times a day and on the 3rd day I dropped to only 1 pill before bed. For the past 2 months the one pill worked great allowing me to sleep all night and without much of a hangover the next morning. It even took away my chronic cough that I was afraid might effect my fusion because it can become somewhat violent.

I have started weaning off the drug because my pain doesn't warrant it. I went from 1 pill to 2/3's for a few days with interrupted sleep but not terrible. Last night I dropped to 1/2 a pill and I could not sleep. I had sweats and chills and feel basically awful today.

I have zero experience with pain meds. My thoughts about the oxy was it was more important to get a good nights sleep for my back to recover. Now I'm realizing that I have a new thing to deal with and I don't know the best method or even if I should wait one more month until my fusion is supposed to be accomplished. If any of you have experience or knowledge about the best way to get off this stuff or any thoughts please respond. Thank you. carol

PS: I also posted on the "Medications and Treatment" forum in case this is not the proper place for my questions.

St George 2013 10-11-2016 12:34 PM

Hey Carol

As far as I can tell you are doing it correctly by titrating down. I know people have different reactions to medications.

My pain doctor made me go off my oxy since I'm on ER Morphine but I didn't have a problem except lots of different pains came back that were being controlled with the oxy. I was only taking 5 mg here and there and I'm sure that had something to do with being able to come off of it with no withdrawals.

The grown kids said I was grouchy for a few days when my pain would spike :)

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Wish I could give you some suggestions but I'm sure others will come along that can help you.

Keep us posted.

Debi from Georgia

echoes long ago 10-11-2016 12:43 PM

the only advice i can give is to do it slowly. if you have a pill cutter make it smaller very gradually.....

pinkynose 10-11-2016 03:53 PM

You are a dear girl Debi and I appreciate the support. I am especially frustrated because everyone at the doctor's office and the hospital told me the pain meds were a very important component of my recovery. No one mentioned anything about withdrawal. I feel foolish for thinking just 1 pill would not cause a problem. Now I know better.
Quote:

Originally Posted by St George 2013 (Post 1226154)
As far as I can tell you are doing it correctly by titrating down. I know people have different reactions to medications.

My pain doctor made me go off my oxy since I'm on ER Morphine but I didn't have a problem except lots of different pains came back that were being controlled with the oxy. I was only taking 5 mg here and there and I'm sure that had something to do with being able to come off of it with no withdrawals.

The grown kids said I was grouchy for a few days when my pain would spike :)

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Wish I could give you some suggestions but I'm sure others will come along that can help you.

Keep us posted.

Debi from Georgia

Healthgirl 10-11-2016 04:17 PM

It might not even be withdrawal at this point. How long since the surgery?

pinkynose 10-11-2016 05:18 PM

It's been 2 months.

Another thing to consider is I am a small women (4'10'' weighing about 95lbs.) and that could factor as the dosage was not adjusted. I guess it could have been some type of bug based on the symptoms, but I'm thinking withdrawal because besides not being able to sleep I had hot flashes, chills and the runs. I looked up withdrawal symptoms for the drug and they were all there. The suggestions online were to titrate so slowly your body doesn't feel it. So I'm going to try 3/4pill for 5 days, 1/2pill for 5 days, 1/4pill for 5 days and then 0.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthgirl (Post 1226166)
It might not even be withdrawal at this point. How long since the surgery?