NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   2.5 Year PCS Update for All of You. (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/240936-2-5-pcs-update.html)

martin82 10-12-2016 07:02 PM

2.5 Year PCS Update for All of You.

Thought I would take a moment to update all of you, many of whom are likely suffering. The good news is your PCS will get better. The bad news is the first 6 months are the absolute worst. In fact most of us don't ever, or might not think we will ever make it or come close to what we were.

Today I'm able to work a full day, go to the gym, and socialize a bit however if i over do it i'll be exhausted heavily the night of, or even the next day.

My main remaining obstacles are Tinnitus which gets louder with heavy exercise in my right ear. The tinnitus can sometimes be so quiet with good rest, however comes roaring back if i drink too much.

Sleep is not been the best. Since the accident I have not had one night of a solid 8 hour sleep cycle. I sleep, then wake up, sleep then wake up usually 1-2 times a night. I usually have to take melatonin.

Finally the worst part is DIM LIGHT. I feel a bit dizzy and like I'm floating or in a dream like state if the light is dim or i'm outside when it's dark. It's a surreal feeling.

Might this be my vision? My inner ear? Or just need for more sleep?

What has helped most with recovery is GOOD exercise, SLEEP, and proper nutrition. Setbacks have been over doing it and more than 1-2 glasses of alcohol.

What happened: Fell 10 feet and hit right side of body/head. Injured pelvis, spine, Jaw and head.

Casterno 10-13-2016 06:37 AM

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Even if it doesn't seem it. Its re-assuring to see you continue to get better years later. I'm at roughly 1 year post now and most people would say I seem 100% normal. But I still do get headaches if I have a long day and can sometimes feel exhausted the next day.

I think when you're 99% repaired its a bit of a mental game too, you constantly question "Am I ok?" "Is this normal?".

SuperElectric 10-14-2016 04:17 PM

Interesting read, I'm a little past 2 1/2 years and can identify totally about the bit about sleep and tinitus, I've come to the conclusion that no alcohol is the way to go as it seems to spike with just a pint. My sleep pattern is the same as yours, I can't work out why. It's like I can't go into the next phase of sleep.

mussbsweet 10-14-2016 08:12 PM

This is good news, I'm 14mo. Post concussion. I was hit repeatedly on the left side of my head and a Lil on the front left near eye. I still have fatigue like all of you describe, my worst feeling is having bad pins and needles pain thru out my body. It hurts. Also having pains in both sides of my head when I concentrate too long.

Bud 10-14-2016 10:23 PM

Martin,

Way to persevere!

Bud

ConcussedEngineer 10-15-2016 05:22 PM

Glad to read stories like this. I can relate to the low light vision, and have heard from several that it can indicate a vestibular problem

DannyT 10-16-2016 03:39 PM

Nice to see some positive results.