NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Describe Numbness (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/241520-describe-numbness.html)

jon mark 10-31-2016 04:58 PM

Describe Numbness

how would you describe physical numbness.. The toes on both my feet I would say are numb.. Yet I have full feeling in them.. I don't have tingling or the " numb feeling you get when your foot falls asleep.. Very hard to describe what I'm feeling.. It's kind of like when your toes would be waterlogged and prunny ..when I press my toes on the floor I feel it more.. I hear people talk about numbness a lot.. But it is a vague term..

janieg 10-31-2016 07:20 PM

In three of my toes on my right foot I have "altered sensation." I heard it best described by a neurologist online who equate it to feeling like your socks are bunched up. When it first started, I was constantly checking for this just that...my socks being bunched up between my toes.

Sometimes when I'm flaring it spreads to above my ankle, and it feels like my whole foot is wrapped in plastic wrap...or something like that.

At no point do I lose feeling in them. I can pass a pin prick test. If anything, I feel more than I should versus less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon mark (Post 1227704)
how would you describe physical numbness.. The toes on both my feet I would say are numb.. Yet I have full feeling in them.. I don't have tingling or the " numb feeling you get when your foot falls asleep.. Very hard to describe what I'm feeling.. It's kind of like when your toes would be waterlogged and prunny ..when I press my toes on the floor I feel it more.. I hear people talk about numbness a lot.. But it is a vague term..

echoes long ago 10-31-2016 08:45 PM

i dont understand how you can have numbness yet full feeling. i have severe numbness in both feet and legs up to the knee.I cant feel anything in the pin prick test. my hands are going numb also but not as bad yet. numbness is decreased sensation. by the way numbness is classified as pain.

tnthomas 10-31-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1227709)
In three of my toes on my right foot I have "altered sensation." I heard it best described by a neurologist online who equate it to feeling like your socks are bunched up. When it first started, I was constantly checking for this just that...my socks being bunched up between my toes.

Sometimes when I'm flaring it spreads to above my ankle, and it feels like my whole foot is wrapped in plastic wrap...or something like that.

At no point do I lose feeling in them. I can pass a pin prick test. If anything, I feel more than I should versus less.

Amazing! Both of these(in red) are exactly how I first described my numbness to my doctor.

Of course, my PN is "idiopathic"...:shrug: I originally theorized that Cryoglobulinemia was the culprit. But, I've cleared my Hep C infection, and thus the possible source of the Cryoglobulinemia, but the numbness persists.

jon mark 10-31-2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1227711)
i dont understand how you can have numbness yet full feeling. i have severe numbness in both feet and legs up to the knee.I cant feel anything in the pin prick test. my hands are going numb also but not as bad yet. numbness is decreased sensation. by the way numbness is classified as pain.

So I wouldn't be correct in calling what I am feeling as numbness.. Perhaps altered sensation like Janie's said would be more accurate

echoes long ago 11-01-2016 12:05 AM

i think that dysesthesia is the term for what you are experiencing.

jon mark 11-01-2016 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnthomas (Post 1227719)
Amazing! Both of these(in red) are exactly how I first described my numbness to my doctor.

Of course, my PN is "idiopathic"...:shrug: I originally theorized that Cryoglobulinemia was the culprit. But, I've cleared my Hep C infection, and thus the possible source of the Cryoglobulinemia, but the numbness persists.

Sometimes they feel a little less numb than at other times, but it is always there
I've had this symptom now for at least 6 months now.. I've been taking many supplements which seem to have helped with the burning ( fingers crossed knock on wood) so I'm hoping this issue might eventually resolve, or at least not worsen..

hbielski1905 11-02-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

I think I kinda understand. My pointer fingers on both hands feel constantly swollen or numb but feel skin pricks. It's a very aggravating feeling. It's constant. My neuro doctor says it's probably the skin but it doesn't feel like it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dogwalker 11-03-2016 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1227709)

I recall seeing this previously referred to on this forum and elsewhere as "folded sock syndrome." I get that when wearing shoes, and sometimes the sensation that the toes of my socks are wet. When barefoot it feels like a sticky note is stuck to the underside of my toes.

Lindyloowho1234 11-04-2016 09:51 AM

I think altered sensation is a better way of describing it - my husband has the "sock balled up in his shoe" sensation a lot and says it feels like walking on lumps.

His PN is also in his hands and he has trouble with cups, bowls, plates - they feel like they are slipping out of his hands, although they aren't. Makes for a few "accidents" because he then overcompensates and tips them anyway;)

The joys of neuropathy!

Linda