NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Hit head again few months after concussion. (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/241825-hit-head-months-concussion.html)

Brotisserie_Chicken 11-09-2016 06:01 PM

Hit head again few months after concussion.

Hey all,

A few months ago (maybe around April/May) I received a concussion whilst boxing. That was all good and my symptoms were recovering very quickly, until two weeks afterwards when I accidentally hit my head again. My doctor was unsure whether or not the second hit was concussive, and a brain scan came back clean, but it definitely made my symptoms a lot worse for quite some time.

I've been feeling fairly well in regards to my symptoms for the past couple months, but just last night I fell over and smacked my eyebrow on a metal barrier at a concert. It was a decent hit and I have a nice big bump on my eye now, but I'm worried about whether or not I've copped myself another concussion, or just something a tad less serious than that.

The twist: I was very very high when I fell over and bumped my head. It was at a concert (I've been fine to go to concerts and the like, I don't feel overstimulated) and I was starting to feel myself green out so I tried to make my way to the corner of the venue where I could sit or maybe lie down. I was feeling very nauseous, dizzy, and had extremely hazy thoughts and a bit of trouble stringing together a sentence. On the way to the corner, I couldn't support myself any longer so I fell down smacked my head on the metal barrier. Luckily a nice girl came over and called me a medic, where I got taken over to first aid to get my cut cleaned up and have myself checked out. I sobered up fairly well in the half hour or so that I was in the first-aid room, and I notified the medics of my previous concussion. They said they couldn't notice anything particularly worrying in me, so they let me back in and I finished the concert right next to the first-aid office.

This morning I've had quite a bit of a headache, sleepiness, and slightly hazy thought, although I don't exactly know if I can attribute any of these to a concussion. The headache could easily just be from knocking my head and nothing more, my sleepiness could be from only sleeping about 6-7 hours last night, and my haziness could just be a bit of a weed 'hangover'.

I'm booked in with my doctor for Saturday (earliest I can get in with him), but I'd like to know if anyone has advice for what I should do in the next few days and what they think of my symptoms.

Cheers.

P.S. I've been taking omega-3 fish oil tablets, 3 x 2000mg a day for the past few months.

Mark in Idaho 11-10-2016 12:12 AM

B_C,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

I'm confused. You box, you get high to green out, but you take fish oil hoping it will help. It's like you put your hand in a meat grinder and then stuck a band aid on it.

All of your symptoms are common.

The only thing you can do is stay sober and avoid hitting your head and try to get good sleep.

I doubt the doctor will have any worthwhile comments or diagnosis.

If you develop a severe headache, start slurring your words, have serious coordination problems, and/or vision problems, go to the ER. Otherwise, there is not much to be concerned about other than changing your lifestyle and activities in hopes you can have a better future.

Bud 11-11-2016 12:32 AM

BC,

Forgive me for my bluntness...this should be a strong statement about the dangers of altered states of mind.

No momentary thrill is worth trading a lifetime of health.

Bud