NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   An increase of alcoholic beverage commercials on TV. (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/242074-increase-alcoholic-beverage-commercials-tv.html)

Brokenfriend 11-16-2016 09:53 PM

An increase of alcoholic beverage commercials on TV.

I've been seeing more, and more alcoholic beverages of all kinds on TV in the last six months on TV commercials.

That is what I used till I was 28 years old to treat my mental health issues along with medications, and I have to resist the thought of alcohol when it comes to mind.

I'm troubled to see these commercials, because I remember my hardships with alcohol. What can be done about it? BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 11-16-2016 10:48 PM

change the channel or put it on mute. I don't think there is anything that we can do to stop these ads.
sorry it is upsetting to you.
bizi
I don't really watch tv much, seinfeld reruns and king of queens.
I never see alcohol ads.
I see them on bill boards every where here.

Mari 11-17-2016 01:19 AM

I am sorry that you have to deal with this.

I do agree that seeing alcohol ads on tv is disappointing.

=-=-

In my case, almost everything on tv is triggering. I am watching
the tv comedy series Friends on Netflix and have to fast forward through
certain parts.

M

Brokenfriend 11-17-2016 08:51 PM

There have been Beer, Rum, Bourbon, and hard soda commercials reoccurring continually during the nights. They have increased.

My Dad was a alcoholic. I was a alcoholic. Many alcoholics die of liver deceases. My dad almost died. Alcohol was going to my liver before I quit.

Many people cannot handle alcoholic beverages because of their chemistry. It seems to run in the family.

It's like they are sneaking them in, and there's no talk about them on the news, or any other place that I'm aware of. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 11-18-2016 12:04 AM

I feel like t.v. has been changing its own guidelines a little bit at a time
with no one paying much attention.

M

mymorgy 11-18-2016 08:27 AM

I went out to eat with a few friends the other night. we each had a couple of glasses of wine. I was on my second glass before the others were on their first glass. I could have had a few more and kept on thinking of buying a bottle. my father was an alcoholic. if not for self control so would i
bobby

OhKay 11-18-2016 08:43 AM

I've noticed the increase in the ads too, BF. They're hiring more celebrities to star in the commercials or do voice overs now, too.

Adult situations on TV and in movies are often associated with drinking because it is so ingrained in American culture.

When I stopped drinking, I really started to notice how often drunk driving, being drunk, and making an *** out of oneself is used to get laughs. In real life, that behavior is stigmatized if you are an adult. Not so much when you are young…. but that's when problems start.

Brokenfriend 11-20-2016 10:44 PM

Some of these commercials use to have (((Drink responsibly)))at the end of the commercial. Now you don't hear that anymore, or very rarely. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 11-21-2016 01:08 AM

BF,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenfriend (Post 1229270)
Some of these commercials use to have (((Drink responsibly)))at the end of the commercial. Now you don't hear that anymore, or very rarely. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Yuck.
I had not noticed that. I wish things in the world made more sense.

I also wish that T.V. were more watchable.
There are very few things that I can watch (I watch to distract myself and pass the time.)

=-=-

Brokenfriend 11-25-2016 02:02 AM

I was on Google, and found out that alcohol beverage commercials have increased 400% in 40 years. BF:hug::hug::hug:

OhKay 11-26-2016 09:39 AM

WOW. That's amazing…

Skeezyks 11-28-2016 02:56 PM

I haven't noticed any increase where I live. But then I don't watch sports on TV & I would guess that perhaps this is where alcoholic beverage commercials tend to be aired? :Dunno: We also don't subscribe to any cable channels. In fact, I don't typically watch the commercial TV stations much at all. :Noooo: (When I do, I make liberal use of the Mute button whenever the commercials come on.) :rolleyes:

Mostly what I watch are our local public television stations. In terms of commercials, the ones I see that are the most irritating to me are the prescription drug commercials. :eek: They have a way of almost surreptitiously lulling you into a state of hypnosis. I find them insidious. :yikes:

ger715 11-28-2016 11:11 PM

Fortunately, I have the DVR so we usually record most of the programs my husband and I watch so we "fast forward" the commercials.

One thing I have noticed tho; is the amount of alcoholic beverage there is on many of the programs; usually someone is walking around with a drink or some type of alcoholic beverage; especially if they are either enjoying a get together or stressed; whichever. I remember a while back, the movies, programs had tried to lessen both the alcohol and cigarettes; now they all seem to be reappearing. I'm afraid it also makes it look more acceptable for the younger generation. As a former 2 1/2 pack a day smoker; there still is a craving, at times, like a wave passing through me.

Gerry

Brokenfriend 11-29-2016 01:05 AM

I know what you mean. Within the last week a rum commercial came on, and I had to fight a alcohol craving, and felt like drinking. I don't have any in the house, but I definitely felt the temptation. I haven't had any alcoholic beverages in more than two decades.

I definitely notice more, and more alcoholic beverages commercials in the last three, to four months.

I wonder if we can contact someone about this!!! BF:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

OhKay 11-29-2016 08:25 AM

I'm sorry that the rum commercial caused you to have a craving BF. You've been sober for 20 years… that just shows how powerful those commercials can be.

I've been sober since July 2015. I loved hard cider, and those commercials do give me cravings sometimes. There are a lot more brands out there, so a lot more commercials for them.

bizi 11-29-2016 08:56 AM

I am going to start taking glutamine for my cravings today.
bizi

ger715 11-29-2016 11:11 AM

Thanks biz,
I didn't know about the many uses for glutamine until your post. I looked it up and read about the many many uses for this supplement. Quite interesting.

When I mentioned the "wave"; it's just for a quick moment. My last cigarette was in 1997. I learned, after several attempts, I cannot even have one.... or it will be all over. I stopped even telling myself; "well I really did at least cut back"; eventually I was smoking more than ever. As I mentioned previously; "cannot even have one.

Gerry

OhKay 11-30-2016 09:47 AM

I just tried switching to the e-cigarette. No dice. I bought a carton of regular cigarettes, and will retry the electronic ones after it's gone. All I can do is keep trying…

ger715 12-04-2016 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhKay (Post 1229957)
I just tried switching to the e-cigarette. No dice. I bought a carton of regular cigarettes, and will retry the electronic ones after it's gone. All I can do is keep trying…

I finally tried the Nicoderm patch. I used it beyond the time that is recommended. I carried a patch with me for at least a year after my last cigarette.

I actually would go for a while with no patch; but when I would go to visit my mother (who lived with my brother) at the time; I would need to put a patch on before I arrived. The two of them would set me off, so I went prepared.

So for me, it was Nicoderm and a prayer that got me through; but I still would never say "never"!!!!

Kay, I know It is really rough. Hope you keep trying.

Gerry

OhKay 12-05-2016 08:45 AM

I have a hard time with the patch because it makes me jumpy, but both times I was in the psych ward they put two patches on me (they must have been a low concentration of nicotine). They would take them off me 2 hours before bed. I did make it about two weeks without cigarettes twice, but then what choice did I have then?

I have about 2 packs of butts left and I'm reintroducing the e-cigarette again now to see how it goes. You can't quit if you don't keep trying.

Brokenfriend 12-05-2016 05:22 PM

If I didn't have a divine intervention, and miracle, I would have kept drinking years ago. That would have resulted in me dying with cirrhosis of the liver. BF:hug::hug::hug:

ger715 12-06-2016 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhKay (Post 1230348)
I have a hard time with the patch because it makes me jumpy, but both times I was in the psych ward they put two patches on me (they must have been a low concentration of nicotine). They would take them off me 2 hours before bed. I did make it about two weeks without cigarettes twice, but then what choice did I have then?

I have about 2 packs of butts left and I'm reintroducing the e-cigarette again now to see how it goes. You can't quit if you don't keep trying.

Kay, I remember taking my patch off when I went to bed so it wouldn't cause problems with sleeping, First thing in the morning tho; I would slap the patch on.

As I mentioned I continued using the patch fir at least a few weeks after the time I should have been done, I came to the conclusion I would do whatever I felt best for me.

I think the biggest that wore me down was having to travel on a plane with "no" cigarette. I was alone; I was meeting my friend in Vegas. I got so antsy, I felt like I was going to jump out of the plane. I felt I was enclosed inclosed in a rocket. I also no longer enjoyed going to a restaurant because :no Smoking; The worst part was when I had started on a new job, I only lasted a few days......"no Smoking; not even in the lounge , I realized how much this had controlled my life. It is sad because it is like you are loosing your best friend. I know it may seem silly to some; but it's true.

Gerry

OhKay 12-06-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenfriend (Post 1230389)
If I didn't have a divine intervention, and miracle, I would have kept drinking years ago. That would have resulted in me dying with cirrhosis of the liver. BF:hug::hug::hug:

About 6 mo after my s/s attempt I got hit with a horrendous episode of agitated mania, and the first thing I did was get drunk to try to slow myself down. But I got scared I'd lose control and hurt myself if I kept drinking, so I put a "NO MORE BEER" sign on the fridge and haven't had a drink since.
I had to be hospitalized, but I never hurt myself. I think I'm alive because I put up that sign and stopped drinking.

OhKay 12-06-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ger715 (Post 1230433)
Kay, I remember taking my patch off when I went to bed so it wouldn't cause problems with sleeping, First thing in the morning tho; I would slap the patch on.

As I mentioned I continued using the patch fir at least a few weeks after the time I should have been done, I came to the conclusion I would do whatever I felt best for me.

I think the biggest that wore me down was having to travel on a plane with "no" cigarette. I was alone; I was meeting my friend in Vegas. I got so antsy, I felt like I was going to jump out of the plane. I felt I was enclosed inclosed in a rocket. I also no longer enjoyed going to a restaurant because :no Smoking; The worst part was when I had started on a new job, I only lasted a few days......"no Smoking; not even in the lounge , I realized how much this had controlled my life. It is sad because it is like you are loosing your best friend. I know it may seem silly to some; but it's true.

Gerry

I can really relate to those antsy feelings, even if you're just at a friend or relative's house, can't smoke, and don't want to be rude by stepping outside. It was really hard when they barred smoking in restaurants, and bars in particular. There are definitely fewer places where you can smoke now. You really can't smoke anywhere. We're looking to move and it will be almost impossible to find an apartment we can smoke in.

When I quit using Chantix it was because the hospital I was working at was going smoke-free and we couldn't even smoke in the garage anymore, so we quit as a group, which made it easier. We also had the support of some doctors who frequented our unit, and that didn't hurt either.

My anxiety is highest in the morning, so I have the habit of chain smoking despite 1mg of klonopin. Adjusting to the e-cigarette will be hardest then because it is heavy and I can't type with it in my hand.

Brokenfriend 12-07-2016 10:54 PM

There are a lot of Miller beer commercials being plaid over, and over. I don't appreciate those commercials being plaid over, and over. The song is now in my mind," If you've got the time, we have the beer-Miller beer". I hate that!!! BF:grouphug::hug::grouphug:

bizi 12-07-2016 11:21 PM

listen to music instead of tv.
(((((HUGS)))))
bizi

Brokenfriend 12-08-2016 03:44 AM

I joined Hulu plus with no commercials. I watched about four old "Adam 12" episodes early this morning. It is a relief not seeing any commercials of any kind.

I'm also going to watch sat.TV. So I'm going to be distracted with commercials.

I think that commercials being repeated over, and over have some sort of infiltration into our minds,beliefs, and mental imaging just below our awareness.

There are more commercials at this time than I've ever seen before. We are also being distracted all of the time. BF:grouphug::hug::grouphug:

OhKay 12-08-2016 05:30 AM

I mostly do a good job blocking commercials out. I wish I could do it all the time. It drives my husband crazy because he'll comment on one or two and I'm oblivious and can't engage with him.

BF, I'm glad you mention Hulu. I have Netflix and never use it. I should be taking advantage of it since I get up really early in the am and there is nothing on.

Brokenfriend 12-08-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhKay (Post 1230623)
I mostly do a good job blocking commercials out. I wish I could do it all the time. It drives my husband crazy because he'll comment on one or two and I'm oblivious and can't engage with him.

BF, I'm glad you mention Hulu. I have Netflix and never use it. I should be taking advantage of it since I get up really early in the am and there is nothing on.

Hi Kay. I use to have CBS.com. I stopped using it so I canceled it. I'm much happier with Hulu plus. They have movies, new, and old TV shows. BF:hug::hug::hug: