NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   An increase of alcoholic beverage commercials on TV. (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/242074-increase-alcoholic-beverage-commercials-tv.html)

Brokenfriend 11-16-2016 09:53 PM

An increase of alcoholic beverage commercials on TV.

I've been seeing more, and more alcoholic beverages of all kinds on TV in the last six months on TV commercials.

That is what I used till I was 28 years old to treat my mental health issues along with medications, and I have to resist the thought of alcohol when it comes to mind.

I'm troubled to see these commercials, because I remember my hardships with alcohol. What can be done about it? BF:hug::hug::hug:

bizi 11-16-2016 10:48 PM

change the channel or put it on mute. I don't think there is anything that we can do to stop these ads.
sorry it is upsetting to you.
bizi
I don't really watch tv much, seinfeld reruns and king of queens.
I never see alcohol ads.
I see them on bill boards every where here.

Mari 11-17-2016 01:19 AM

I am sorry that you have to deal with this.

I do agree that seeing alcohol ads on tv is disappointing.

=-=-

In my case, almost everything on tv is triggering. I am watching
the tv comedy series Friends on Netflix and have to fast forward through
certain parts.

M

Brokenfriend 11-17-2016 08:51 PM

There have been Beer, Rum, Bourbon, and hard soda commercials reoccurring continually during the nights. They have increased.

My Dad was a alcoholic. I was a alcoholic. Many alcoholics die of liver deceases. My dad almost died. Alcohol was going to my liver before I quit.

Many people cannot handle alcoholic beverages because of their chemistry. It seems to run in the family.

It's like they are sneaking them in, and there's no talk about them on the news, or any other place that I'm aware of. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 11-18-2016 12:04 AM

I feel like t.v. has been changing its own guidelines a little bit at a time
with no one paying much attention.

M

mymorgy 11-18-2016 08:27 AM

I went out to eat with a few friends the other night. we each had a couple of glasses of wine. I was on my second glass before the others were on their first glass. I could have had a few more and kept on thinking of buying a bottle. my father was an alcoholic. if not for self control so would i
bobby

OhKay 11-18-2016 08:43 AM

I've noticed the increase in the ads too, BF. They're hiring more celebrities to star in the commercials or do voice overs now, too.

Adult situations on TV and in movies are often associated with drinking because it is so ingrained in American culture.

When I stopped drinking, I really started to notice how often drunk driving, being drunk, and making an *** out of oneself is used to get laughs. In real life, that behavior is stigmatized if you are an adult. Not so much when you are young…. but that's when problems start.

Brokenfriend 11-20-2016 10:44 PM

Some of these commercials use to have (((Drink responsibly)))at the end of the commercial. Now you don't hear that anymore, or very rarely. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 11-21-2016 01:08 AM

BF,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenfriend (Post 1229270)
Some of these commercials use to have (((Drink responsibly)))at the end of the commercial. Now you don't hear that anymore, or very rarely. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Yuck.
I had not noticed that. I wish things in the world made more sense.

I also wish that T.V. were more watchable.
There are very few things that I can watch (I watch to distract myself and pass the time.)

=-=-

Brokenfriend 11-25-2016 02:02 AM

I was on Google, and found out that alcohol beverage commercials have increased 400% in 40 years. BF:hug::hug::hug: