NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   pain and numbness from bee sting (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/242392-pain-numbness-bee-sting.html)

Brandon G 11-28-2016 01:40 PM

pain and numbness from bee sting

Hello - I am curious if anyone has any insight to share with me. I was stung early in the summer by a bee (wasp or yellow jacket) in my upper/outer thigh. I have never had a reaction to a bee sting. It hurt like normal and the pain subsided eventually as normal. However, I have a hand size area of numbness in my leg and the burning, pulsating feeling comes and goes. My family care physician says I'm a first case for him (seasoned doctor). He stated that the numbness may or may not go away, but it's not serious and shouldn't spread.

I feel the area is possibly growing in size, what gives?

Skeezyks 11-28-2016 02:05 PM

Hello Brandon G: I'm sorry I cannot comment with regard to what you have experienced. This is not something I have heard of before either. However, since this is your first post here on NT, I just wanted to say welcome to NeuroTalk! :welcome_sign: I hope you find the time you spend here to be of benefit. :Grin-Nod: You might consider posting a thread, with regard to this, in the general conditions & rare disorders forum:

http://www.neurotalk.org/forum2/

:Good-Luck: :)

Brandon G 11-28-2016 03:33 PM

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and advice!:)

Wiix 11-28-2016 11:54 PM

I'm allergic to honey bees. Used to step on them in the grass. The only thing that helped me was making a paste of baking soda and water and tying it onto the bottom of my foot in order to get some sleep. It's messy but it works.

I know, it's terrible. It lasted a good two weeks. :o

It takes time but the numbness will go away.

Solace 12-03-2016 10:16 PM

pain and numbness from bee sting

I was stung by something on the base of my thumb. It caused inflammation and phlebitis which traveled to my brain & chest. I didn't have breathing problems, but pain, numbness, brain fog and a body rash flared up. My Dr suggested not getting stung again!

It took months for the symptoms to subside, especially the pain & numbness. Rash is still blooming...and a lost my mind 18 months ago when I started the SSI application for my son...

I'm not qualified to suggest anything, but I wonder if the location has less blood flow and oxygenation than a hand and will take more time to resolve? Oysgen speeds healing. Ask your DR if something like massage or Therapeutic touch would help, Vit E on the area?

Good luck and hope it resolves soon.

Azores 09-17-2018 10:15 AM

Hi, I was googling the numbness when I found your post. Even though it's been a while since you posted I wanted to say you're not the only one! I feel like maybe the bee that stung me may have hit a nerve? My foot has been numb in the sting area since it occurred. Slight swelling, definitely uncomfortable & slightly painful. The numbness is what weirds me out though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon G (Post 1229797)
Hello - I am curious if anyone has any insight to share with me. I was stung early in the summer by a bee (wasp or yellow jacket) in my upper/outer thigh. I have never had a reaction to a bee sting. It hurt like normal and the pain subsided eventually as normal. However, I have a hand size area of numbness in my leg and the burning, pulsating feeling comes and goes. My family care physician says I'm a first case for him (seasoned doctor). He stated that the numbness may or may not go away, but it's not serious and shouldn't spread.

I feel the area is possibly growing in size, what gives?

kiwi33 09-17-2018 05:12 PM

Hi Azores

Welcome to NeuroTalk :).

Some people are allergic to components of bee venom (in its severe form this can lead to anaphylactic shock).

This may explain your experience.