NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Need Expert in TBI/Multiple Chemical Sensitivity for SS (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/242608-expert-tbi-multiple-chemical-sensitivity-ss.html)

Solace 12-03-2016 10:36 PM

Need Expert in TBI/Multiple Chemical Sensitivity for SS

My son had several TBIs age 10-15. (35 years ago) He developed endless TBI symptoms including gastro sensitivities and disabling reactions to many foods, pollens, mold, chemicals, etc.

I have finally applied for SS for him as being disabled before he was 22. He was granted SSI as an adult, we are appealing for the special category before age 22. The Judge wanted an expert witness to review the case to help him decide the case.

I need to find a Dr to review the record and write a supporting expert statement. I'm overwhelmed, not sure what is most important. I thought he had MCS until the SS Neuropsychologist said the TBI caused the MCS and said he was impaired by the TBI- memory problems & executive function.

The original grant was for the memory/executive function making work impossible. That he can't risk exposures in public places and years of severe allergy diagnosis stating they disabled him was ignored did surprise me. He can't be out of bed for long, many headaches, pain, fatigue, insomnia.

Has anyone else used an expert? Any names I could vet? Judge needs by end of January.

Jomar 12-03-2016 11:11 PM

Were there consistent long term appts & follow up visits with sons personal dr/s?
The judge won't accept those records?
Or he mainly wants those records re-evaluated and double checked?

Solace 12-04-2016 09:50 AM

TBI/MCS Expert

He was always told "give it time, you'll be fine". I have medical records from some GPs, 2 dozen letters stating his diagnosis and that he was disabled, dated his teen years.

I lost what medical records I had in the storm damage to our house in Hurricane Sandy. I was able to get some showing his complaints. Hospital, pediatrician, Neurologist.

I have letters from Dallas Environmental Center, Dr Doris Rapp. The most helpful for the TBI pain was an Osteopath who is still practicing, but on the other coast. His current GP is wonderfully supportive.

Going out, going to an appointment, can leave him in bed for weeks, or even be life threatening. So we listened when Drs told us avoidance was the safest medicine.

Solace 12-04-2016 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 1230245)
Were there consistent long term appts & follow up visits with sons personal dr/s?
The judge won't accept those records?
Or he mainly wants those records re-evaluated and double checked?

NH court, very conservative judge wants in nailed down. In her opening statement the Atty asked him if he had enough info to give a positive decision now or would an expert review help? He thought about it and liked the expert idea.

SS will send the record, but my son won't get to meet the reviewer. So having our own expert could be critical. He gets a fair amount of prejudice as he is bright, so people think that outweights the other symptoms and his trouble remembering, reading, and thinking.

His IQ before the accident was off the charts. His spotty mind now makes simple things difficult.

Jomar 12-04-2016 03:22 PM

You have an atty? They should know of drs for this expert review, since they brought it up...

Solace 12-04-2016 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 1230285)
You have an atty? They should know of drs for this expert review, since they brought it up...

She doesn't. She found one who specializes in suicide &Depression, not issues for us. I spent about 80 hours researching names I've seen in articles, but none made sense to use.