NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   My new DO doctor of osteopathy..... (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/242752-doctor-osteopathy.html)

bizi 12-07-2016 11:01 PM

My new DO doctor of osteopathy.....

Met my new DO. today. It was my luck that my regular doctor was out on maternity leave and I had to see him for my wellness exam.
He was young personable listened to me.
He listened to my concerns.
He did not comment about my weight.
my blood pressure was a bit elevated for me 124/87
he was not concerned for my "age".
I did not know that he was an osteopathic doctor when I agreed to see him.
Now I will keep him as my regular doctor. He ordered a bone density exam, we discussed me only taking 500mg of calcium I may need to take more. I also don't take the right kind of magnesium. so that is not good. I am glad we talked about this.
He wants to wait and see how the bone scan comes out.
5 years ago when I fell and broke my collar bone, I was hypomanic and had lost a lot of weight rapidly and probably depleted my bone mass. I was diagnosed osteopenia borderline osteoporosis. That is when we discovered that I was low in vit D. If it comes out borderline again then he wants to do some more testing to see what I am deficient in.
I think I will switch my calcium supplement, currently I take coral calcium and have for many years.
He was happy with my HDL being so high 140...never said a word about my total cho being 283. He said that I have a negative risk factor for dieing from a heart attack.
He spent over an hour with me!
He has only been in practice for a couple of months.
He does not like naturopathic doctors and was glad that I canceled my appointments. He practices western medicine.
Mammo which is covered under wellness exam and bone density scan which is out of pocket will be soon.
I am happy with my new doctor.
Now I have to find a new gyn doctor as he does not do paps.
bizi

OhKay 12-08-2016 07:46 AM

That's wonderful Bizi! He sounds like a great doctor!

My PCP always spends a while discussing things with me in his office after the exam. I'm happy you found a doctor who is willing to spend so much time with you, too. Doctors like that are so hard to come by.

I'm glad you are getting the bone density test and mammogram done soon. Maybe you can ask your girlfriends if they have good GYN's and see if they accept your insurance?

kiwi33 12-08-2016 05:03 PM

Bizi, he sounds like a very professional and caring doctor to me.

I hope that you continue to work well together :)

bizi 12-11-2016 11:48 PM

I guess I will keep taking the calcium at 500mg until the bone scan????
bizi

OhKay 12-12-2016 06:27 AM

He's going to be checking other vitamin levels, so at the next follow-up in person or via phone, I'd ask about the calcium if it's not addressed. Sometimes recommendations of vitamin doses are based on achieving a balance. In the meantime, I'd just keep doing what you're doing to keep your levels where they are.

Dmom3005 12-12-2016 10:44 AM

Yes, I'd keep taking the level you are. That way its an accurate
reading on how the calcium is working.

Donna :hug::grouphug:

bizi 12-14-2016 10:19 AM

On our sister forum psych central, A fellow poster wrote that she got toxic on lithium at 450mg. So maybe I will ask my new DO if he would order me a lithium level to be drawn???? I have been taking it a month.

bizi

Dmom3005 12-14-2016 10:29 AM

Good idea Bizi.

Donna :hug::grouphug:

OhKay 12-16-2016 06:29 AM

She was probably taking another form of lithium… like lithium carbonate, but I think it's still a good idea :hug:

I was take 1800mg for over 7 years :eek:

bizi 12-16-2016 08:32 AM

You are right kay.
thanks!
bizi