NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   SCS & Pain Pumps (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/)
-   -   New FDA approved BurstDR- SCS by St. Jude- Has anyone tried this yet? (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/242843-fda-approved-burstdr-scs-st-jude-tried.html)

LovesTerriers 12-09-2016 08:54 PM

New FDA approved BurstDR- SCS by St. Jude- Has anyone tried this yet?

Happy Holidays and Greetings to all.

I was just wondering if anyone here has had the chance to try the new BurstDR- SCS from St. Jude's. It was approved in October of 2016. I have CRPS of my left leg, abdomen and spine. I had always been hesitant to try out the SCS devices because I cannot tolerate any type of tingling/vibration sensations (it makes me nauseous). The new BurstDR cannot be felt. I just completed the trial and I believe it was a HUGE success. I was shocked and surprised at the outcome. I haven't been able to move my toes in years, walk without a cane/crutches, nor could tolerate anyone/thing touching my CRPS areas. With this device, I was able to function almost normally....almost 80%...and I have a torn labrum in my CRPS hip, which needs surgery. I can just imagine what it will be like after I have my hip repaired. My doctor even placed the leads to cover my rib cage pain. It was simply amazing.

Now the hard part, waiting for the actual surgery. And they are trying to determine what will be a better option for me...the leads or the paddles. I would prefer the paddles, as they are more stable and use less energy, but my PM was unsure if they could get the paddles maneuvered to cover my ribs. I am now in the wait and see period and lots of praying period.

I am very hopeful now about my future, as all other treatments, including almost 2 years of ketamine infusions and 7 day inpatient infusion, have failed.

I would like to hear if others have had luck with the BurstDR SCS.

Laurie

PamelaJune 12-10-2016 10:11 PM

HI loves terriers, I have a Nevro high frequency unit. It's similar to the burst in that you can't feel it on at all, no buzzing sensation but it's in 24/7. The burst as I understand it comes in short burst something like 5 second on 5 second off. I have percutaneous leads. I looked at paddles when I initially had some early issues but decided to stick with leads as I didn't want to have the laminectomy (scrape bone out to create room to put the paddle chip in). I have had a laminectomy twice when having spine fusions. The laminectomy area hurt more than the actual spine fusion area. Everyone is different though so I'm sure your doctor will choose what's best for you. Good luck.

LovesTerriers 12-11-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamelaJune (Post 1230883)
HI loves terriers, I have a Nevro high frequency unit. It's similar to the burst in that you can't feel it on at all, no buzzing sensation but it's in 24/7. The burst as I understand it comes in short burst something like 5 second on 5 second off. I have percutaneous leads. I looked at paddles when I initially had some early issues but decided to stick with leads as I didn't want to have the laminectomy (scrape bone out to create room to put the paddle chip in). I have had a laminectomy twice when having spine fusions. The laminectomy area hurt more than the actual spine fusion area. Everyone is different though so I'm sure your doctor will choose what's best for you. Good luck.

Have you had good long-term relief with the Nervo high frequency unit? Thank you for your input and well wishes.

ger715 12-12-2016 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesTerriers (Post 1230796)

I was just wondering if anyone here has had the chance to try the new BurstDR- SCS from St. Jude's. It was approved in October of 2016. I have CRPS of my left leg, abdomen and spine. I had always been hesitant to try out the SCS devices because I cannot tolerate any type of tingling/vibration sensations (it makes me nauseous). The new BurstDR cannot be felt. I just completed the trial and I believe it was a HUGE success. I was shocked and surprised at the outcome. I haven't been able to move my toes in years, walk without a cane/crutches, nor could tolerate anyone/thing touching my CRPS areas. With this device, I was able to function almost normally....almost 80%...and I have a torn labrum in my CRPS hip, which needs surgery. I can just imagine what it will be like after I have my hip repaired. My doctor even placed the leads to cover my rib cage pain. It was simply amazing.

Now the hard part, waiting for the actual surgery. And they are trying to determine what will be a better option for me...the leads or the paddles. I would prefer the paddles, as they are more stable and use less energy, but my PM was unsure if they could get the paddles maneuvered to cover my ribs. I am now in the wait and see period and lots of praying period.

I am very hopeful now about my future, as all other treatments, including almost 2 years of ketamine infusions and 7 day inpatient infusion, have failed.

Laurie

I think your PM might be the best one to advise you; especially the maneuvering with the paddles to cover the ribs.

A few years ago I had a failed trial and decided to to do another. Having almost 80% relief with your trial is really quite encouraging.

Gerry

repyns 12-22-2016 08:55 AM

Hello LovesTerriers,
I also have the Nevro SCS. I had it implanted about 5 months ago. I am extremely happy with the results. I have had 9 previous spinal surgeries including a couple artificial discs and by last summer I was back to using a cane and dealing with loads of pain. Being an engineer I just can't function with pain meds on board. The Nevro Senza has given me about an 80% relief in pain for my legs and feet. The lumbar area is still pretty bad but manageable. The Nevro reps are still tweaking programs to see if they can help the lumbar area.
I evaluated a couple of different SCS units when I went through the trial period and I was much happier with the Nevro high frequency design. Not impressed with their remote though (too big, looks like it was designed in the 80's...lol) but I'll happily deal with that since it gives me the pain relief.
I will also advise you that whatever route you go, if you get a SCS you will need to work with the docs and reps to get it dialed in to work the best for you. It takes some time...be patient.

ganels 09-10-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovesTerriers (Post 1230796)

Laurie

I am having the Prodigy MRI SCS system (Burst/Tonic)from St Jude put in on the 19th of Sept. My trial also worked 90% effective. I will be getting the leads and not the paddles. My PM doc said that they will be sutured in place but will take a total of 3 months to completely heal in place and it will take a car accident to dislodge them once healed. I am sure that you have now had the permanent one put in. Did you end up with the St Jude's? How is yours doing if you had yours put in? I've had decompression and spinal fusion about 5 years ago. Have had lower back pain and left leg pain for years. I don't like being on meds for a long period of time and nothing else works except the trial SCS.