NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Quel as a treatement for SFN? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/242852-quel-treatement-sfn.html)

Cliffman 12-10-2016 12:35 PM

Quel as a treatement for SFN?

Does anyone have insight into "Quel" as a treatment for SFN pain? It's advertised as a wearable device to that treats chronic pain. Buy Quell Wearable Pain Relief – Quell Relief

Not sure if it's just another product that really does nothing or has some validity.

Thanks,

Cliffman :hug:

mrsD 12-10-2016 12:39 PM

I've been looking at this too. The price really has put me off for now. It looks like a fancy TENs to me so far.

Have you read the reviews at Amazon yet? They are not glowing IMO.

janieg 12-10-2016 01:04 PM

This is the device I have. I strap it on at night when my symptoms are bad, and I do think it brings some relief. It's not an end-all solution, but I do notice a decrease in the severity of my symptoms when I'm flaring badly. I feel like it's distracting my brain with the constant "nerve noise" it produces, and my brain turns its attention away from the neuropathy to process it.

It cycles on and off at night which I thought would wake me up, but it never has. You just have to get used to having it strapped on your leg.

The replacement pads are expensive, but you don't have to replace them as often as they recommend. You can put the gel on them to add to their life. Since I don't use it daily either, they last much longer than two weeks.

Because of the cost, maybe there's an el cheapo device that you could try to see if TENS brings any relief before investing in this one. I don't think you can sleep with them, but you could at least try it. I suspect TENS like any of the other alternative treatments available...it works for some, not for others. As much as I want it to make a difference, acupuncture has never made me feel any different at all. Some people swear by it. Go figure.

mrsD 12-10-2016 01:44 PM

I will say if I were still working and pulling in money, I'd spring for it. I did in the past buy a light visor for about the same cost for my winter seasonal affective disorder. (which works and still works for me, and has not broken down --it is now 1/2 the price I paid back then. It is called the Bright Light visor.) So that investment was useful for me. I will say the light visor never advertised on TV. I am more skeptical of TV ads for things like this.

But now I am on social security, retired and measuring my budget much tighter.

A simpler and less expensive thing that works for me is this:
I get extreme flares when storms come with low barometric pressures. My feet will hurt and esp my toes terribly. This is not every day, but just severe flares. I rub into my lower leg, just below the knee. (where the shins start) It seems that the pain is mostly at night after 10pm, the Aspercreme Lidocaine lotion. I use about a nickel's diameter dollop on each leg. There are nerves close to the surface in this location, and within 15 minutes or less the pain to my feet and toes reduces to about 10% of what it was and I can fall asleep. This works better than Tylenol or Aleve and lasts into the next day.

This link shows the nerves in the area that I apply the Lidocaine on the front part of the lower leg. This is very cost effective and useful for me.

Muscles, Arteries, and Nerves of Leg: Deep Dissection (anterior view)
Muscles of Leg (Deep Dissection): Anterior View

However, I will say that I had 3 months of intensive ultrasound and IFC on my left leg a few years ago, for a damaged tendon in my hip, this did nothing for my PN.
It was a very painful injury and responded well to these two
modalities, but did not generalize to other pain locations.
They told me that TENs type frequencies block pain but do not
stimulate healing chemistry for injuries like the IFC does.

Pixel22 12-10-2016 07:14 PM

I ordered a Quell unit when they first came out. I think I had something like 60 days to try it out. It did nothing at all for me, so I returned it. I do get some relief from acupuncture though. Thanks Mrs. D for posting about the cream. I have some here and will hive it a try.

Cliffman 12-12-2016 02:24 PM

Thank you everyone. It sounds like it might be worth trying, heck I am in so much daily pain almost anything sounds good but of course one must use sound judgement. It's easy to make mistakes when desperation enters the picture.

Cliffman

mrsD 12-12-2016 03:20 PM

Let us know, please, how it works for you, too.;)

Cliffman 12-12-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1231009)
Let us know, please, how it works for you, too.;)

I most certainly will if I decide to move ahead with it. :):)

Cliffman

ansky 08-22-2019 03:22 AM

Not for me

I just purchased the Quell 2 (dumb sh#%) then I had to buy an app from Google in order to listen to some noise that is supposed to help with the pain! I have had for a week now with 0 results nada nothing, it's going back tomorrow. They told it has a 60 day money back guarantee lets see and how about my the app I had to buy?