NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Movement Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/movement-disorders/)
-   -   What has helped with your tremors?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/movement-disorders/24329-helped-tremors.html)

InHisHands 07-22-2007 12:17 PM

What has helped with your tremors??

I am just wondering if you can tell me what medications have helped with your tremors, and any other treatments??

Right now I am starting baclofen, but I think it's lowered my blood pressure (too low) so I might be needing to try a new medication for my tremors. I don't know too much about what medications to try for tremors.

The tremors I have are in my hands/ arms, feet/ legs, jaw and sometimes my trunk shakes. They are secondary of reflex sympathetic dystrophy (full body).

Thanks in advance! :)

Chemar 07-23-2007 06:47 AM

hi IHH

my husband was given Propranolol for tremors tho I do know it also acts as a BP lowering agent so he does have to use it carefully, as he is already on BP meds
It does help with the tremors tho

:hug: sure hope you are feeling better today :hug:

Chemar 07-23-2007 06:50 AM

also meant to add that the doc also told him to take Co Enzyme Q

ConsiderThis 07-25-2007 10:50 PM

Hi InHisHands...

first, I've got to say, you are SO cute!

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these health problems.

I'm writing to you on a sort of tangent, because I think your health problems are somewhat different than mine.

Howevere, when I came home today from a very stressful task, my right leg where I have the worst nerve damage kept buckling and I nearly fell several times.

At first I was so scared (I hate almost falling - I once fell and hit my head really badly) that I didn't do anything but be scared.

But then I remembered that I should have had a B12 shot before I went out today... and I totally failed to do that. So I had one as soon as I thought of it, and about three hours later I was able to walk to the kitchen without any buckling. (So I had a second shot)

If you are not on any kind of B12 prescription for injections and replacement therapy, you might try the sublingual Methylcobalamin lozenges. I would get the 5mg ones.

Methylcobalamin is the form of B12 our bodies make when then can get B12 from protein.

If you decide to try it, please be sure to look for the Methylcobalamin form... it works vastly quicker and better than the more common cyanocobalamin.

((((((((InHisHands)))))))))))

Jon1260 07-28-2007 01:14 PM

Can you tell me about your b-12 deficiency as related to movement disorders; have you been diagnosed with a movement disorder AND b-12 deficiency - of one causes the other. I was diagnosed with Essential Tremor two years ago - have all symptoms that "In His Hands" has - the last year (April) doctor's noticed my b-12 was extremely low (I was having balance/cognitive issues) but it was thought my ET was causing those as it's a neurological disorder. I began on supplemental b-12 shots. I take 0.5ml x2 a week for over a year now and got my tissues well saturated now - but it took at least a year. At my low I was at 177 - the most recent (2 weeks ago) shows 1200. I know immediately when my b-12 shots begin to wear off because I start to feel the "sensory" symptoms on my skin/beneath the skin. I've just ordered a book called "Is it B-12?" to learn more about how b-12 deficiency can impact the body. I don't have Pernecius Anemia - my disorder is metobolic as my body no longer seem to absorb the natural b-12 in foods I eat...

Jon1260 07-28-2007 01:17 PM

I have all symptoms you do and dx'd in 2005 with Essential Tremor. I take Primidone (50mg) 4x per day and Propranolol 40mg 1x a day. Careful with the Propranolol because it lowers blood pressure and makes you tired/weak. Primidone has worked well for me (gave me my life back!) but doesn't totally get rid the tremors. There are also other medications one can take for tremor - but not all work for everyone...

mamafigure 08-03-2007 07:17 AM

I take Mirapex 1.0 3x day. It helps for tremors and RLS. Hope that this helps.

Mama

InHisHands 08-17-2007 03:56 PM

Thank you everyone!!

ConsiderThis- thanks! :o You are too sweet! :)

My neurologist put me on Baclofen and it has helped dramatically!! I can walk with just hanging unto furniture instead of a walker! WOO! And I have my artist fingers/ hands back! I am not walking unassisted but it's better!!!! My doctor will deal with the remaining tremors if he can; they are all caused by my nerve problems- RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy).

Thanks again all! :hug:

sharky 09-24-2007 09:45 PM

lithium asparate is what I use for my myoclonus

watsonsh 09-24-2007 09:47 PM

propanonol helped me too but mine were caused by my thryroid....thyrotoxicosis was what caused it.