NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Does MG affect memory and concentration? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/243768-mg-affect-memory-concentration.html)

Teljemo 01-08-2017 05:12 AM

Does MG affect memory and concentration?

I had trouble with concentration and a bad memory long before my MG diagnosis.. But maybe it has a connection?
I have been taking mestion and prednisone for a outlet of years now.. Side effects on concentration or memory?

I am about to see another doctor to look at this problems and see if I have ADD...

Snoel 01-08-2017 12:01 PM

Since I've been on medication now since April 2015 I've noticed some memory and concentration changes...I find my SHORT memory to be terrible and as for my concentration I get very anxious on trying to focus on resolving a problem or situation and also have lost my self confidence... Because of these issues it makes things though to cope with.

Hopefully others will chime in and confirm some of these side effects...Or is it just us AGEING!!! LOL

vickypanda 01-08-2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoel (Post 1233138)
Since I've been on medication now since April 2015 I've noticed some memory and concentration changes...I find my SHORT memory to be terrible and as for my concentration I get very anxious on trying to focus on resolving a problem or situation and also have lost my self confidence... Because of these issues it makes things though to cope with.

Hopefully others will chime in and confirm some of these side effects...Or is it just us AGEING!!! LOL

My daughter and I both have mg my memory and concentration was terrible words mixing up can't think of a word say the opposite word to what I mean miss words out when writing and talking etc and been like it for several years. Started taking mestinon 8 months ago and all are much better unless I have over done it and are over tired then the words getting mixed up etc comes back. My daughter started experiencing poor memory and lack of concentration words mixing up etc around 8 months ago we believe she has had mg since been a toddler. She started taking mestinon 2 weeks ago and she said her concentration at school and talking fatigue etc has been much improved the last 3 days she has been there since Christmas holidays. I think it is yet another unlisted symptom of myasthenia but have both noticed improvement with mestinon and not that making it worse. Hope this helps

Snoel 01-08-2017 09:03 PM

I've been off Prednisone now since June 2016 and seemed to help a bit but I'm still struggling with short memory and searching for words when under stress, I'm now taking Mestinon 5 times a day, Timespan at bedtime, Imuran daily and IVIG every 3 weeks.

I'm more or less living a normal life but it's been a rocky road to adapt, I'm also back to work on a shorter schedule...

FREDH 01-09-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoel (Post 1233172)
I've been off Prednisone now since June 2016 and seemed to help a bit but I'm still struggling with short memory and searching for words when under stress, I'm now taking Mestinon 5 times a day, Timespan at bedtime, Imuran daily and IVIG every 3 weeks.

I'm more or less living a normal life but it's been a rocky road to adapt, I'm also back to work on a shorter schedule...

Snoel,
We sound somewhat alike in our treatments. I take Mestinon 6 times a day, still on 10mg Predisone (getting off slowly) timespan at bedtime and Imuran daily. No IVIG. I had Plasmaphersis instead.
I feel like I take medicine all day long, but seems to work. It has been a year since the hospital.
Good luck
FREDH

brandonc 02-04-2017 03:40 PM

this is what is fondly called brain fog. i think it just takes more brain capacity for us to operate "normally" or it could be from prednisone. that seems to be the go to thing to blame or anything new wrong with me