NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Alpha interferon and small fiber peripheral neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/244146-alpha-interferon-fiber-peripheral-neuropathy.html)

Ibar 01-19-2017 10:47 AM

Alpha interferon and small fiber peripheral neuropathy

Does anyone know of any connection between alpha interferon therapy and the onset (years later) of small fiber peripheral neuropathy? I'm still trying to understand how I developed PN. Thanks for any feedback.

bluesfan 01-19-2017 10:23 PM

Hi Ibar

Welcome to Neurotalk (NT) - Sorry to read that you've joined us because of SFPN. I don't have the medical knowledge to say specifically that it is caused by the alpha interferon therapy but it's possible there's a connection. Both cancer itself and many of the various treatments used can cause PN.

Given that there is over 100 different types of PN, and just as many causes trying to find the exact cause can be difficult.

Here's a couple of links to sites that have some useful info:

Peripheral Neuropathy Fact Sheet | National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

Cleveland Clinic:
Peripheral Neuropathy
(Note that "interferon alfa" is listed in the miscellaneous section of Table 1: Drugs that Can Induce Polyneuropathies)

Hope this is of some use in your search for answers. All the best for managing your condition. You can use the search function on this site to find many posts by others who have discussed ways to improve their PN. Please feel free to ask more specific questions and others may be able to help.

Ibar 01-22-2017 11:02 PM

Alpha interferon reference

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesfan (Post 1234127)
Hi Ibar

Welcome to Neurotalk (NT) - Sorry to read that you've joined us because of SFPN. I don't have the medical knowledge to say specifically that it is caused by the alpha interferon therapy but it's possible there's a connection. Both cancer itself and many of the various treatments used can cause PN.

Given that there is over 100 different types of PN, and just as many causes trying to find the exact cause can be difficult.

Here's a couple of links to sites that have some useful info:

Cleveland Clinic:

(Note that "interferon alfa" is listed in the miscellaneous section of Table 1: Drugs that Can Induce Polyneuropathies)

Hope this is of some use in your search for answers. All the best for managing your condition. You can use the search function on this site to find many posts by others who have discussed ways to improve their PN. Please feel free to ask more specific questions and others may be able to help.

Hi Bluesfan,

Thanks very much for this helpful reply, particularly for noting that "interferon alfa" is listed in the miscellaneous section of Table 1. This is the first time that I've seen any such (possible) connection noted. I injected myself with alpha interferon daily for 5 years (1985-1990) to combat leukemia (CML), and was declared "cured" in 1995. I have not had any sign of CML since then, nor have I received any other treatment for it since 1990. So, if indeed it caused PN, I'm still very grateful that interferon saved my life. Now, if only I could find a similar "miracle" cure for small fiber PN!

Thanks again,
Ibar