NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Article - Medication Could Reverse Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/244219-article-medication-reverse-peripheral-neuropathy.html)

janieg 01-21-2017 01:31 PM

Article - Medication Could Reverse Peripheral Neuropathy

In the category of "for what's it's worth," this came across in my alerts today...

"The discovery suggests that pirenzepine and other anti-muscarinic drugs – a class of nerve medication that is already used to treat Parkinson’s disease, motion sickness, irritable bowel syndrome and other conditions – could be used as a new treatment for peripheral neuropathy."

Medication Could Reverse Peripheral Neuropathy — Pain News Network

JoannaP79 01-21-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janieg (Post 1234284)
In the category of "for what's it's worth," this came across in my alerts today...

"The discovery suggests that pirenzepine and other anti-muscarinic drugs – a class of nerve medication that is already used to treat Parkinson’s disease, motion sickness, irritable bowel syndrome and other conditions – could be used as a new treatment for peripheral neuropathy."

Medication Could Reverse Peripheral Neuropathy — Pain News Network

Thanks Janie. I read through this looking for the word REVERSE and they do say that a few times.
I wasn't clear exactly how the reversal takes place physiologically. But sounds hopeful. Look forward to them reporting pre clinical results - next month I think they said.

Cliffman 01-24-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaP79 (Post 1234285)
Thanks Janie. I read through this looking for the word REVERSE and they do say that a few times.
I wasn't clear exactly how the reversal takes place physiologically. But sounds hopeful. Look forward to them reporting pre clinical results - next month I think they said.

I wonder how long all this will take to get the drugs approved for SFN ........

Cliffman

mrsD 01-24-2017 09:33 AM

Unfortunately this class of drugs is implicated in fostering Alzheimer's.

Google

Anticholinergic - Wikipedia

So there will have to be much more work done on this data to
provide safe use for PNers.

Cliffman 01-24-2017 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1234489)
Unfortunately this class of drugs is implicated in fostering Alzheimer's.

Google

Anticholinergic - Wikipedia

So there will have to be much more work done on this data to
provide safe use for PNers.

Thank you MrsD. Here's the response I received from writing directly to the author. "Unfortunately, I don't think this research has advanced very far and there is no timetable for when the medication might be approved for neuropathy."

Cliffman

stillHoping 07-17-2017 04:52 AM

There is a new research regarding the muscarinic antagonist WST-057

Peripheral neuropathy could be reversed by FDA-approved class of drugs | FierceBiotech

DWA1 03-19-2018 01:39 PM

This drug seems to be the most hopeful compound in any current pipeline. Article says it is safe for other uses. I checked the company website and there isn't much in the way of recent updates, but this would not be abnormal while clinical trials are ongoing. Timelines have this potentially ready for commercialization by 2019 or 2020.

DavidHC 03-19-2018 03:50 PM

This looks promising. If it were out now, I'd likely try it. Thank you all.

I also noticed this: WinSanTor – Researchers Publish Preclinical Data on Reversing Peripheral Neuropathy

I wonder if the relevant compound they're talking about, so WST-057, is the one that has the side effects associated with this class of drugs.

I also just noticed this on their site, and decided to sign up: WinSanTor – Patients.

chriswindsor 05-10-2021 04:13 PM

compounding pirenzepine for neuropathy

hello,

noted posts from those who were going "commando" by acquiring pirenzepine in topical solution for neuropathy. at 74, little to lose so I would like to talk with those who have gone down this path and what results they have experienced. so far, I have discovered only 1 source of pirenzepine in Japan and not sure of its purity etc..any advice appreciated and best to all out there.

Chris